My mother's Fantasmic! Fail

There we were, in the disabled seating area for Fantasmic. My mother had broken her leg, so that's why we were there at the time.
    The CM's came in and asked everyone who was in a wheelchair to move to the front so they could see better.
    We all moved accordingly, us to the back because she wasn't in a wheelchair.
    My mother is a special education teacher, so she is very sensitive and strong headed about these issues.
    Some lady with a stroller pushes her way to the front and plants herself there, along with her large family.

My mom, you must understand, is not only passionate about what she does but is too loud mouthed for her own good. Something that makes me cringe when she speaks out in public to people.

Anyway:
    I can see my mom's eyes grow furious as she sees the woman with the stroller in the front, where the wheelchairs are supposed to be. I silently beg her not to say anything.

But, being her, she marches to the front to give this woman a piece of her mind.
    "excuse me, but I am a special ed teacher, and how dare you put your stroller up here when there are people in wheelchairs who really need to see. I don't understand why you would do this! You are inconsiderate of disabled people."

The woman had tears in her eyes. "I am using this stroller as a wheelchair. My daughter is an amputee!"

She flips the stroller around, and there in it is a little girl, about 4 years old. Cute as a button, dressed in a red dress, wearing Minnie Mouse ears.

And she has no leg.

Well, I'm a very emotional person, so I start crying, and I hug the woman, who is crying as well.
    My mom is standing there, dumbfounded, with her mouth open. She just made a fool of herself.

My mom walked over in shame and apologized profusely, and the lady was grateful and she hugged her.

Just goes to show that you should think before you speak, and you don't always know someone's situation.

Re: My mother's Fantasmic! Fail

Good lesson to learn! It's so easy to jump to conclusions and get upset about something, but sometimes that ends up making someone else and you feel worse.
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Haunted Mansion Lover

^^^^^^This!
    Foolish Mortal

• formerly very helpful

A very good point to remember! I'm glad it ended up somewhat resolved. I hope your mother learned a little something here, too.

My father, for most of my life, was a real hot-head. There have been more times than I can count where he blew up at someone for no justifiable reason, and we were just left there totally embarrassed, so I get it from your perspective, as well. I've found, unfortunately, that unless that person is really dedicated to changing himself, there's nothing you can do to make them. My dad doesn't even see anything wrong with his behavior, until well after the fact. And even then, not always.

Sad thing is I've spent much of my adult life avoiding being in situations with him for this reason. My father is 80. He's in pretty good health, but I know there's just so much time left. Pitty I've had to waste much of it like this. Hope there are many more good times with your mom, than not.

Also, as embarrassing as this is, at least she was trying to defend someone who she thought was being wronged. In this case, the disabled. She is a special ed teacher. She sure didn't take that job to get rich or respected. She took it because she cares about people with special needs. That is something admirable. And at least she had the decency to apologize. Many wouldn't do that. Hopefully she will choose to learn from this.

Unfortunately, there are so many people who abuse the system and take advantage of people with special needs, that I can see where she was coming from, even if she acted before thinking, and knowing the whole situation.

Good luck to you.

well glad it ended well and she accepted your apology. you should have bought her a churro. well lesson learned and also my sister has the same habit of being on the less careful side when she speaks

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    well glad it ended well and she accepted your apology. you should have bought her a churro. well lesson learned and also my sister has the same habit of being on the less careful side when she speaks
    I should have bought her a churro.
    As a tribute to her, though, for myself, I bought the same hat she was wearing. I remember this every time I wear the hat.

Name:  gabba.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  71.2 KB

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

This story brought a lump to my throat, and tears to my eyes.

• Hooterville, USA

Mistakes: We all make 'em.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I'm glad that everything got resolved, but now I feel bad for your mom and having this story being posted for a lot of people to see. :-\

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We all learn from the experiences in life. Whether they are our own, or the recollection of someone else's experience. No names have been given.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I'm glad that everything got resolved, but now I feel bad for your mom and having this story being posted for a lot of people to see. :-\
    I told her about it. She was okay with it, because she knows she made a mistake and wants others to learn from it.
    Anyway, I tried not to put it in a negative light because I don't hate my mom or anything, she just had a lesson to learn as we all do at some point.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

that was an epic fail!! but so sad for the girl. poor baby, i wonder what happened to her

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I think the opposite - although her mom may be embarrased by it, this thread is just as important as any on this board and perhaps more so.