Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: America Sings

Re: America Sings

I liked the fact that CoP and America Sings were celebrations of American history (and with CoP, a glimpse into the "future".)
    Then Innoventions came along and... well...
    Anyway, I dug America Sings. Am I sad it's gone? Not really. I'd take it over Innoventions, though...

• Monorail Junkie

One of the big things that stuck with me about America Sings was the music. I still listen to the sound track and know every word. I even have my son enkoying it. Do I wish it was back? at times, but what I would really love to see is a great high quality video of it. I think that Disney could make some great revenue by putting our documentaries on past rides, interviews, pictures and videos from concept to reality to what took it's place and is there a nod to it in the new ride. I would buy those if they created them.

• Capt without a ship...

I miss the fact it was a really good showcase of animatronics - the music it exposed me to and the history.

I love the idea of some kind of commemorative DVD of retired attractions. America Sings, CBJ, ATIS. include interviews, publicity photos, behind the scenes stuff.

And I don't want to know that Big Al is Oogie Boogie. I want the bears back!
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

It was a great show and very watchable in multiple viewings.

I don't know that America Sings was actually closed so Splash Mountain could use the figures or if the figures were simply re-purposed after America Sings closed. Either way..

I miss America Sings and find the critters inside Splash Mountain rather superfluous to enjoying that attraction.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    I love the idea of some kind of commemorative DVD of retired attractions. America Sings, CBJ, ATIS. include interviews, publicity photos, behind the scenes stuff.
    I'm baffled why they don't do this (and I would include a Blu-ray release too!). They must have taken ride-through films of the attractions before they were dismantled, didn't they?

• I'm wishing

I miss America Sings, almost as much as the PeopleMover!!

I thought it was an exciting staging system, a lot of fun, a little bit of a history lesson, and some great clap along songs! It had a pretty high "rider" per hour capacity and was a really great place to relax and enjoy some air conditioning. By the way, I don't believe it was Splash OR America Sings...I believe the animatronics were just re-purposed.

• Munchings & Crunchings

For those of you that would like to see America Sings return, or at least some homage paid to it, check this out.

Animated version of Disneyland's 'America Sings' Attraction (Act 1) on Vimeo

One guy, James Lopez, is creating an entirely 2D animated version of the attraction. His animation looks VERY much like Disney's in the 70's, and looks quite a bit like Robin Hood, or Winnie the Pooh. Really great work here, and I've always fantasized about an animated version like this. Somehow he read my mind!

I just hope he gets funding, or somehow is able to complete the whole thing, I would love to own it.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

• formerly very helpful

^^^^That really is amazing. I'd love to see a finished product.

Come on, Disney. If fans can do this stuff at home, can't you - or won't you get to work on some of this type of stuff yourselves?!

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    That was a great video! I love the animation. I hope James Lopez is reading this thread and is still motivated to finish what he has started. I now have a totally different view of America Sings, then when I did as a Senior in High School and now I'm on board!
    Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

I enjoyed America Sings when I was a kid...however, I think Splash Mt. does have more wow factor....and I have to admit that I feel like I am in on a fun secret when I ride it and know that so many of the characters are repurposed from America Sings. The average Joe doesn't know that little gem of a secret.
    Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    I liked the fact that CoP and America Sings were celebrations of American history (and with CoP, a glimpse into the "future".)
    Then Innoventions came along and... well...
    Anyway, I dug America Sings. Am I sad it's gone? Not really. I'd take it over Innoventions, though...
    Winner winner...............chicken dinner!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonawire View Post
    I enjoyed America Sings when I was a kid...however, I think Splash Mt. does have more wow factor....and I have to admit that I feel like I am in on a fun secret when I ride it and know that so many of the characters are repurposed from America Sings. The average Joe doesn't know that little gem of a secret.
    I couldn't agree with you more!
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    For those of you that would like to see America Sings return, or at least some homage paid to it, check this out.

Animated version of Disneyland's 'America Sings' Attraction (Act 1) on Vimeo

One guy, James Lopez, is creating an entirely 2D animated version of the attraction. His animation looks VERY much like Disney's in the 70's, and looks quite a bit like Robin Hood, or Winnie the Pooh. Really great work here, and I've always fantasized about an animated version like this. Somehow he read my mind!

I just hope he gets funding, or somehow is able to complete the whole thing, I would love to own it.
    That. Video. Was. AMAZING! Thanks for the link. Seeing it not only reminded me of how entertaining the show was, but now I can see it come back as an animated series or interstitials a la Schoolhouse Rock. I hope someone lets Lopez know about this thread now and that we get to see the completed work someday.

Reading through the posts, I think it's a unfair to compare AS to SM. Unless I'm mistaken, Splash Mountain wasn't created to replace America Sings nor necessarily to provide a home for the animatronic characters once AS closed. Plus, one is a thrill ride, the other a sit-down show. So IMO it's apples to oranges. It's more appropriate to compare AS to Innoventions because they used the same building or to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids which is another sit-down show.

I'll have to find that Kevin Kidney article tho' and read through it. Looking forward to it.

Does anyone know how many animatronics from America Sings were moved over to Splash Mountain?? All? Most? Half? I have no idea so hoping some of you who are more familiar with both attractions will know. Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast