Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: America Sings

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: America Sings

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    Does anyone know how many animatronics from America Sings were moved over to Splash Mountain?? All? Most? Half? I have no idea so hoping some of you who are more familiar with both attractions will know. Thank you.
    Most. Probably 80% of the America Sings AA's were moved to Splash.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

we still have the geese in Star tours too am i correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Most. Probably 80% of the America Sings AA's were moved to Splash.
    Applauding that!!! Thanks, that just made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    For those of you that would like to see America Sings return, or at least some homage paid to it, check this out.

Animated version of Disneyland's 'America Sings' Attraction (Act 1) on Vimeo

One guy, James Lopez, is creating an entirely 2D animated version of the attraction. His animation looks VERY much like Disney's in the 70's, and looks quite a bit like Robin Hood, or Winnie the Pooh. Really great work here, and I've always fantasized about an animated version like this. Somehow he read my mind!

I just hope he gets funding, or somehow is able to complete the whole thing, I would love to own it.
    That animation is wonderful! What a labor of love, and what talent that guy has!

---------- Post added 07-09-2012 at 02:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMouse View Post
    I miss America Sings, almost as much as the PeopleMover!!

I thought it was an exciting staging system, a lot of fun, a little bit of a history lesson, and some great clap along songs! It had a pretty high "rider" per hour capacity and was a really great place to relax and enjoy some air conditioning. By the way, I don't believe it was Splash OR America Sings...I believe the animatronics were just re-purposed.
    The show was great, and as a bonus -- it was so nice to escape the heat of the day. Disneyland air-conditioning just seems better than "normal" air-conditioning, for some reason.

I also loved the feeling of the "ride" -- of moving from scene to scene; and there was that cool "disco ball twinkle" effect that made everything sorta disappear...

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post

So I wonder, what could they have done to "re-vitalize" America Sings?
    Acts 1,2,3,4 .. and 6 ... were perfect as is. Only the "Modern Times" act 5 ... could have reflected music that came later.

Who could improve on Burl Ives ... as the voice of Eagle Sam? You don't!

You look at what Disney attempted later in the 90s ... by giving a new "modern take" (Cynical - rather) on AA shows - Look at WDW's tiki room - "New Management" ? nuff said!

The marriage between the revolving theater device .. and the charming show itself was perfect. CoP was fully lit during stage transition ... America Sings went dark with a star effect. Almost as if .. we traveled at "light speed" to move on to the next scene.

Did it HAVE to go? Was there a better option? Was Splash Mountain the better option?
    Because that revolving theater sat in the land of the future ... it was a matter of time it was going to go .. in order to continue the land, as a place representing the future. (They did have a plan to bring back CoP in the late 70s/early 80s)

If the theater were on Main Street, Critter Country, Fantasyland ... I wonder if it still be around today.

It was a show for all ages .. even all generations.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    I'm baffled why they don't do this (and I would include a Blu-ray release too!). They must have taken ride-through films of the attractions before they were dismantled, didn't they?
    They did.

I was there the day, film crews were filming it. Not that I was in there with them ... but it was a day after it had closed to the public. I saw the building in motion .. and a few employees confirmed they were filming the attraction .. to be archived. (Not sure how long they have had the policy of archiving attractions, once closed - Imagine the older stuff tucked away somewhere on film!! )

And the only reason I can think Disney refuses to put retired attractions on Bluray/DVD .. is marketing wisecrakers convinced they wouldn't make money on them.

I think they are wrong though. They have no problem spending money on limited addition "commemorative" memorabilia for sale. Why not a limited addition Bluray/DVD box set of retired attractions.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I was there the day, film crews were filming it. Not that I was in there with them ... but it was a day after it had closed to the public. I saw the building in motion .. and a few employees confirmed they were filming the attraction .. to be archived. (Not sure how long they have had the policy of archiving attractions, once closed - Imagine the older stuff tucked away somewhere on film!! )

And the only reason I can think Disney refuses to put retired attractions on Bluray/DVD .. is marketing wisecrakers convinced they wouldn't make money on them.

I think they are wrong though. They have no problem spending money on limited addition "commemorative" memorabilia for sale. Why not a limited addition Bluray/DVD box set of retired attractions.
    That's very interesting information! Besides your supposed reason why they haven't been available on home media, I don't doubt that the material was never ever intended for public release to begin with. It's the same as many Broadway shows filmed over the decades with the express purpose of keeping them as private archival records for professions needing to review them for relevant reasons, such as the revival of a show.

That said, I also don't doubt that Disney would consider releasing them given just the right reason to. Perhaps an major anniversary, like Disneyland's 100th. Or they might consider making it available to a specialty market like the D23 members, giving them an opportunity to estimate a production quantity and the cost to produce, edit, remaster as needed, package and market that would be profitable. There may also be rights issues and compensation for talent (e.g., songs, performers), especially for older attractions as well as simple the quality of the video themselves, and whether they were shot in a manner that's suitable for editing and enjoying.

I don't mean to pour water on the idea of eventually seeing these archival films ever made available to home video. But I think these would be the realistic hoops to jump through to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    Does anyone know how many animatronics from America Sings were moved over to Splash Mountain?? All? Most? Half? I have no idea so hoping some of you who are more familiar with both attractions will know. Thank you.
    There's actually quite a few that didn't make the cut.. if Sam and Ollie where reskined (which seems likely but I can't confirm that) that still leaves about 4 or so pairs of them that are gone (if you really want to count that) Outside of them, there's a bunch of minor animals in the Wild West that aren't accounted for, The "Who Shot a Hole in My Sombrero" Dog, A Pig Waiter and a Serenading Wolf, The Old Grey mare, Two Storks with Guitars, A Frog with an Upright Base I'm to assume. (He might actually live on in the Florida version though) There's also a pair of Storks on a Motor Cycle.

I've also heard stories that one of the Guitar Storks now lives in the AA Training Facility as teaching device.

America Sings was always one of my favorite shows back in the day. I didn't get to experience much of it, I think I must of only seen it once in my life and I was around 4 or so. Goes to show that it left an impression on me. I kind of wish Splash Mountain wasn't so fast, like more Pirates Speed so you can get a good look at all the critters, but alas.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that Carousel Theater in the coming year or so.

There was nothing dated about it when it closed - it was a celebration of America's music! The 5th scene would have needed to be changed by now - which is fine and easy to do - but otherwise, I so wish I could watch that show live again today.

I'd venture to say most of the AAs made it over to Splash or Star Tours. I was able to explore down in the bowels of the closed attraction and only a couple figures - the one I remember was one of the fat pigs - was still there. It was an amazing system under there - big enough to walk around in to service the figures.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Lifelong Disneylander

Great, great, GREAT show! I remember sitting in that theater during Disneyland's 30th Anniversary in the middle of the night. (Yes, Disneyland was open for a whopping 30 HOURS!) Ha ha! Even though it was a great place to rest and take a catnap, it was also so cool at the time to know that we could experience this show on a completely different level (subconsciously, eh?). I miss this show. You can only hope that there will be another similar show being produced by Disney for one or all of their Parks. Thanks for the memories!

• Restless Adventurer

I think America Sings was perfect; it was not dated. Well, maybe dated in that we have lost our innocence, and it was a truly innocent attraction. I have the soundtrack and the video...and still sing the songs from time to time. The animals were stripped of their personality when they stopped performing and became set decoration at SM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTour View Post
    Well, maybe dated in that we have lost our innocence, and it was a truly innocent attraction.
    People are always, like, "we can't have those attractions now because we're so much more sophisticated and would find them lame." America Sings opened in 1974, the same year Chinatown opened in theaters and at the height of the Watergate scandal! 1974 was *not* an innocent time. As a matter of fact, one of the taglines for the movie "That's Entertainment," which also opened in 1974, was "Boy. Do we need it now."

Quote Originally Posted by MrTour View Post
    The animals were stripped of their personality when they stopped performing and became set decoration at SM.
    ... which is why Splash Mountain always feels like a sparse experience to me.

• Capt without a ship...

There is nothing around now that is as much of a celebration of animatronics - something you just dont see at other parks.

They really should have kept it - maybe update it as a time machine moving through history to keep it in TL.

• Minion

I believe America Sings was installed to go along with all the excitement over the Bicentennial celebration of the United States. There was a frenzy around that time, it was a big deal then even though it seems almost forgotten now. So Disney wanted to cash in - excuse me, I mean stay current - with what was popular in mainstream culture at that time. Otherwise they could have just left it as Carousel of Progress which was a fine attraction. They also had the America the Beautiful film in the CircleVision 360 theater, the America on Parade parade in 1976 and a red, white and blue Fantasy in the Sky fireworks show that year. After the bicentennial was over with I guess interest in all things "America" slowly returned to normal levels and America Sings began to seem a little passť. Just my guess. Flight to the Moon became less popular once the real moon landings took place and the public became bored with them. It wasn't "tomorrow" any more. So it had to be updated as Mission to Mars. I only saw America Sings once and at that time I was disenchanted with Disney musical shows and I thought it was corny and old-fashioned, but what does a teenager know? It probably was really good and I just didn't appreciate it.

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    For those of you that would like to see America Sings return, or at least some homage paid to it, check this out.

Animated version of Disneyland's 'America Sings' Attraction (Act 1) on Vimeo

One guy, James Lopez, is creating an entirely 2D animated version of the attraction. His animation looks VERY much like Disney's in the 70's, and looks quite a bit like Robin Hood, or Winnie the Pooh. Really great work here, and I've always fantasized about an animated version like this. Somehow he read my mind!

I just hope he gets funding, or somehow is able to complete the whole thing, I would love to own it.
    Oh. My. God. That is just AMAZING!!! I hope to see the completed version one day.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• I'm a Lutheran

My parents continue to talk about how great the show was and still is according to pictures and YouTube videos. My dad'd always tease me about how creepy the vultures were and would always point them out when we rode Splash Mountain and imitate their song "Billy the Kid." Two of Marc Davis' greatest creations if I may say so myself.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123