Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America Sings

America Sings

After reading Kevin Kidney's great post about America Sings and then remembering my own fond memories, I decided to check out the old show on YouTube.

Okay, I totally get why this show had to go. Unlike the Country Bears, this felt so dated.

So I wonder, what could they have done to "re-vitalize" America Sings?

Did it HAVE to go? Was there a better option? Was Splash Mountain the better option?

What do you think??
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• MaliBOOMer

Re: America Sings

Is Splash Mountain better than America Sings? Is that a serious question? Duh! Splash Mountain is better.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    All the geese and ever other animal that was ever in America Sings definitely has a better home in Splash Mountain!
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

I really enjoyed America Sings. And I used to listen to the soundtrack a lot on an LP (this was like a really big CD, but made out of vinyl...anyway...)

It's too bad the attraction couldn't have continued on, but I can understand how it had run its course. Although, a new soundtrack with new songs, and a little tweaking of the costumes and sets, might have given the carousel theatre another few years of life.

I am glad that at least most of the wonderful figures could be kept for Splash Mountain, though.

• formerly very helpful

Well, I've never thought of it as dated in any way. I really miss it. It could have survived some "updating" I suppose, like the Carousel of Progress has in Florida. Although I'm glad the animals were hired on for Splash Mountain, and not just fired, I think its presence is missed. Especially with Country Bears gone, there is NOTHING like this type of show there in Disneyland.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Everybody's got that one thing, the closure of which meant DL was no longer what it used to be. For me, that's America Sings. I loved that show. And when I say I loved that show, I mean I thought it was the best thing DL ever did!

I think the best thing to do would have been a scaled down version in the Opera House. I could have let Mr. Lincoln go for that.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• I am not a Krusty Krab

hmmm maybe a small character show in big thunder ranch during fourth of july weekend?

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Everybody's got that one thing, the closure of which meant DL was no longer what it used to be. For me, that's America Sings. I loved that show. And when I say I loved that show, I mean I thought it was the best thing DL ever did!
    My #1 long-gone would probably be Adventure Thru Inner Space, but America Sings is up there, if not #2. The length and detail of that show are just not ever going to be replicated. Splash Mountain does not do those animatronic creations justice.

• Disney fan

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    My #1 long-gone would probably be Adventure Thru Inner Space, but America Sings is up there, if not #2. The length and detail of that show are just not ever going to be replicated. Splash Mountain does not do those animatronic creations justice.

My #1 Adventure Thru Inner Space
    #2 Carousel of Progress. I loved walking out and seeing Progress City.
    #3 People Mover

• Queen Elsa

The only thing that we don't have at SMt that was part of American Sing is the 3 main stars from the show. Sam the Eagle, the Owl forgot his name and the Pop goes the Weasel. I miss seeing them. I which there was something around Tomorrowland that had those 3 still around like how in the Buzz Lightyear store you still can see 2 the old rockets in there and how in Star Tours ride you can still see parts of two of the Geese from American Sing. But I which we still had something about them. I think AMerican Sings as well as Country Bears where two of my favorite child hood favorites.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    The only thing that we don't have at SMt that was part of American Sing is the 3 main stars from the show. Sam the Eagle, the Owl forgot his name and the Pop goes the Weasel. I miss seeing them. I which there was something around Tomorrowland that had those 3 still around like how in the Buzz Lightyear store you still can see 2 the old rockets in there and how in Star Tours ride you can still see parts of two of the Geese from American Sing. But I which we still had something about them. I think AMerican Sings as well as Country Bears where two of my favorite child hood favorites.
    look again for the weasel and sam the eagle is now the fox and the owl is the rabbit now
    Last edited by MrsMonroe; 07-06-2012 at 06:19 AM.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Newbie.

I think the owl was Ollie.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Missing my AP

I miss the fact that Disney parks are pretty much the only place that had this kind of show or atleast of this caliber. Believe it or not, they where meant to educate and inspire, as well as showcase the technology that imagination can create. (all while having fun together as a family) OK, not as exciting or popular as Pirates or Splash Mountain but they had their place in the Disney culture and I believe deserved a home here on the West Coast.
    I would love to see a theatre with rotating shows like this so you wouldn't have to maintain several locations and it wouldn't get stale.
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by SwankbelliedPirate View Post
    I miss the fact that Disney parks are pretty much the only place that had this kind of show or atleast of this caliber. Believe it or not, they where meant to educate and inspire, as well as showcase the technology that imagination can create. (all while having fun together as a family) OK, not as exciting or popular as Pirates or Splash Mountain but they had their place in the Disney culture and I believe deserved a home here on the West Coast.
    I would love to see a theatre with rotating shows like this so you wouldn't have to maintain several locations and it wouldn't get stale.
    i wish we still had the educational and adventure rides: Adventure Through Inner Space, Submarine Voyage, Carousel of Progress or America Sings, Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, Swiss Family Treehouse, PeopleMover, Mission To Mars, Country Bear Jamboree, Circle-Vision, The Walt Disney Story etc...

• Queen Elsa

I know that Big Al from Country Bears became Oogie Boogie from the Christmas Haunted Mantion ride. But I didn't know that they did that to Sam the Eagle and the Owl. Does anyone have a pic of these two as there new forms send I don't go on Splash Mt. ride.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast