• Armchair Imagineer

New Ride Vehicle Track Design Announced

Has the heyday of tubular steel track (the Matterhorn was the first attraction in history to use it) come and gone? Check out this new track design that Imagineering may be using in future coaster-style attractions:

The rail technology is different from previous roller coasters in that it is a box-beam, square metal track,” says Rocky Mountain Construction Design Engineer Alan Schilke. “An older track-fabrication method — still in use today — is to build up tracks by laminating pieces of lumber together. Trouble is, today’s coasters hold such heavy loads and undergo such extreme forces that wooden track can no longer withstand the forces without frequent repair. We have laid traditional wood track, but I thought there must be a better method.”

The result was the box-beam track, says Schilke. “With this approach, we cut large, flat sheets of mild steel plate on large plasma cutters. We weld the flat shapes longitudinally with typical wire-feed equipment to produce a three-dimensional rail.” Automated buggies carry welding equipment and lay down the welds. The welds are cleaned and then inspected using magnetic particle testing for cracks, deviations, and pockets. Finished 3D lengths run from 40 to 50-ft long.

Name:  roller-coaster.gif
Views: 309
Size:  123.3 KB

• Banned User

Re: New Ride Vehicle Track Design Announced

Way interesting, i wonder if this is cheaper, more durable or easier to build. like what are the upsides (if any) and why would they change designs of the functional tubular design.

• Sondheimian

Ah, the New Texas Giant. From what I understand, these new tracks are more flexible and durable. I would love to see Disney use this type of track, as it is cutting edge. It's only been used on one roller coaster in the world so far, so maybe Disney could make it a new thing for coasters.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

well, I think screamin, rockin' roller coaster, and Space Mt are the only coasters Disney has that the track isn't surrounded by rockwork of some kind. So we wouldn't really notice all that much. I actually rather like that Disney's coasters are mostly embedded in mountains or in pitch black (space mt, rockin'). In fact my least favorite coaster to look at is Screamin' because you can see ALL of the track and supports.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    Way interesting, i wonder if this is cheaper, more durable or easier to build. like what are the upsides (if any) and why would they change designs of the functional tubular design.
    You might find out more information by checking out the original article:

New Coaster Track Design