Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Thinking about doughnuts

Re: Make the most of Luigi's Flying Tires!

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    People getting hurt by a beach ball or etting hurt by trying to get a beach ball is a bunch of bull. Some people are just looking for a way to sue Disney and that is sad, I really doubt a beach ball that weighs basically nothing, could hurt a person
    I got blindsided by a beach ball thrown from close range and I can assure you it hurts. I wear glasses which made it worse. The spot next to my eye where I was hit only turned red rather than bleed but it took hours for the swelling to go down. My glasses were bent and scratched but fortunately didn't fall off. If I wore plastic-rimmed glasses they certainly would have broken.

The beach balls are fun if you throw them gently. But if someone throws one hard at your head from close range it definitely hurts. The park is clearly aware of the problem because one of the times the cast member gave the "how to fly your tire" speech he included a warning for people wearing glasses. Not that the warning does you any good because the beach balls come at you from all sides so there's no way to see all of the ones thrown at you.

By the way, I've been on Luigi's eight times now including three times after I got clocked by the beach ball. I really liked Luigi's the first time I went on it a month ago. It's only gotten more fun as I've gotten better at maneuvering. You can really get the tires moving if you play your cards right. And the better you are at maneuvering the more fun things you can get done in one ride cycle so it seems like the ride is longer. So other than the potential for minor contusions and damaged glasses I think Luigi's is a great ride. I plan on wearing old glasses while riding it in the future. And possibly bring a first aid kit.

I saw some chick out there wearing goggles. She may have the right idea.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Ever since I saw the photos of the saucers in Tommorowland, I knew I hda to ride this one and I am really looking forward to it. From all of the posts I just wonder if the plarform or ride system should have been enlarged a little and/or the tires smaller.
    We changed are travel dates to March and I hope this one is still in operation.
    Dave

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I'm sure it will...it has wait times everyday at 75 mins......to be honest I have yet to ride it....but I love it because it is soaking up alot of people like Racers and keeping Disneyland crowds down

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

I too can attest that the beach balls DO hurt when some one chucks it at your head. Here's a quote I made in another Luigi's thread a while back talking about my experience:

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    You are 100% right. While riding the tires today, a random teenager (about 13 to 15 years old) purposely chucked one of the beach balls at my head and laughed about it. It actually hurt my neck since he did put quite a bit of force into it and forced my head to suddenly snap to the side. He was on my right side and I kind of saw him in my peripheral vision (I was looking straight ahead) and out of no where *BOOM* My girlfriend was with me and actually saw the whole thing, so I wasn't imagining it. We both saw him fly away laughing at what he did. Boy, did I want to clobber that kid -____-

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    What I don't get is why people would want to throw a beach ball at a a random person you've never seen before in the first place. What possible enjoyment could come from pegging a complete stranger with a beach ball?
    Schadenfreude.

• Dave

Blog Entries

^ What? When that happens report them to security
    Dave

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^and this is what the kids says

I thought we could throw them....did not think it would hurt anyone.....did not mean to hurt him....and then its a he said...she said on a ride that proves the balls to throw/bounce into

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    From what I understand, the beach balls may be short lived. Apparently there have been people injured when trying to reach them. While operations may like them because it apparently makes the ride otherwise more palatable, I think their safety police will eventually pull the plug on them.
    The beach balls are (or have always been) a maintenance issue, too. If you look above the attraction's platform, you will see many spots where light bulbs have been removed due to the balls hitting them and breaking them. Case in point, while my partner and I were waiting to go on the attraction for the first time last week, the ride was suddenly shut down "due to technical difficulties". It wasn't until a Cast Member came out with a tall ladder that I realized what had happened. One of the balls had struck a light bulb which caused it to partially break and dangle precariously over the attraction. Had a keen-eyed Cast Member or Guest not seen the problem, the light bulb more than likely would have fallen on someone's head during their ride. And while I found the beach balls to be fun, I do hope to see them removed.

- Joe

• Minion FOREVER!

A suggestion to WMI: Put several simulators for the Tires in the queue that people waiting can try. Doesn't really move, just a couple of tilt sensors put onto a Tire mock-up with a screen somewhere that shows what the Tire would be doing if it was the real thing. That should lower the learning cycle drastically and give people in queue something to do. Yes, it'll be space consuming though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12