• World of Color

Space Mountain Single Rider

When I was at Disneyland last week and while I was standing in line I saw a lot of empty seats why haven't disney put a single rider line in Space Mountain

Re: Space Mountain Single Rider

Quote Originally Posted by WoC 95 View Post
    When I was at Disneyland last week and while I was standing in line I saw a lot of empty seats why haven't disney put a single rider line in Space Mountain
    I'm guessing because it's so loud and busy already in the loading station, adding a single rider line would just add to the chaos. Plus, the people with wheelchairs need to have an accessible path to and from the loading station, and adding a single rider line there would just be too crowded. But i do agree with you, i would love to see a single rider line there.

• Disneyland CM

The poster above brings up a valid reason, however the primary reason for no single riders is that the rockets on Space Mountain are weight limited. So adding single riders would be very impractical and ultimately would lead to longer wait times.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies

If there is one ride at Disneyland that needs a Single Rider line, it is this one. And it could be done very easily.

Before the 2005 rehab, the line in the loading bay use to split at the top of the ramp down to the loading gates. At the start of the ramp down to the loading gates there is an emergency exit/ that links up to the main exit and wheel chair entrance.

Just bring back the split at the top of the ramp and have standby on the left and Single rider on the right. Single rider would not interfere or congest the loading area as they would be in their own dedicated queue.

This needs to happen, it is so frustrating seeing so many empty seats go out on this ride and the wait time is well over an hour long.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    If there is one ride at Disneyland that needs a Single Rider line, it is this one. And it could be done very easily.

Before the 2005 rehab, the line in the loading bay use to split at the top of the ramp down to the loading gates. At the start of the ramp down to the loading gates there is an emergency exit/ that links up to the main exit and wheel chair entrance.

Just bring back the split at the top of the ramp and have standby on the left and Single rider on the right. Single rider would not interfere or congest the loading area as they would be in their own dedicated queue.

This needs to happen, it is so frustrating seeing so many empty seats go out on this ride and the wait time is well over an hour long.
    I know exactallllly where and what you are talking about. And I agree this will work and it is so easy. So why hasn't it been done? DL cannot be that stupid, something else is going on. What is "weight limited",donalddisney, in coaster terms and why does that effect what would essentially be a regular line as quoted above??? The greeter would use this SRL queue just like before except that it would always have ppl saying "one please!".

BTW, I probably shouldn't say this outloud, but 2 decades has passed so I will...
    Back in the late 80s and early 90s we used to use this exit/access door to line jump. There was a method to not getting caught, and I will not explain it here just in case there are other ppl who want to abuse the system. Not a proud moment for me, but it is how I know the SRL would work. No judgment, I have paid my debt thankyouverymuch! It was a California right of passage to fig out this scheme and pull it at least once!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Minion

If this had Single Rider, I would use it as much as possible!

Umm... I don't care how much it would shorten the line, I'm not letting a total stranger sit next to me (really... pressed up against me!) in Space Mountain's TINY cars.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

There used to be a single rider line years ago, wasn't there?

---------- Post added 07-08-2012 at 01:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    Umm... I don't care how much it would shorten the line, I'm not letting a total stranger sit next to me (really... pressed up against me!) in Space Mountain's TINY cars.
    Goofys Sky School would have the same issue then, and RSR isn't THAT much more spacious than Space. I wish Space did have a single rider line.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    There used to be a single rider line years ago, wasn't there?

Not Disneyland, but I think there was one at WDW once upon a time.

---------- Post added 07-08-2012 at 01:03 AM ----------

Most people don't bite.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

First off, You don't need to worry because if it made sense from a logistical standpoint it would have happened already. They do sometimes need to send empty seats because there is a weight limit and if too many "large" folks are on a ride it has to be diverted. Adding single riders to fill seats that seem "empty" can in fact cause a lot more problems than it solves.

Second off, If they did decide to put it in, YOU WOULD HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT! Who on earth do you think you are that could just disobey the rules because it doesn't please you? You would either deal with it, or not ride. You're not that special that you can dictate against what the ride operators and park management decide is best.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• Sondheimian

I honestly think the reason they don't have one is because the cars have to load so quickly because the ride is constantly moving; but I can see where it would work, but I can also see problems.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    I know exactallllly where and what you are talking about. And I agree this will work and it is so easy. So why hasn't it been done? DL cannot be that stupid, something else is going on. What is "weight limited",donalddisney, in coaster terms and why does that effect what would essentially be a regular line as quoted above??? The greeter would use this SRL queue just like before except that it would always have ppl saying "one please!".

BTW, I probably shouldn't say this outloud, but 2 decades has passed so I will...
    Back in the late 80s and early 90s we used to use this exit/access door to line jump. There was a method to not getting caught, and I will not explain it here just in case there are other ppl who want to abuse the system. Not a proud moment for me, but it is how I know the SRL would work. No judgment, I have paid my debt thankyouverymuch! It was a California right of passage to fig out this scheme and pull it at least once!
    ok let me shed some light on Space Mountain:

Space Mountain is (as far as I know) the only coaster where we factor in weight before a rocket is dispatched into the mountain. This limit already cripples any real chance of a single rider line being available since too much weight will deny the rocket by the computer system to be dispatched into the mountain. As such this is why you'll see now and again a rocket pulled off to the left as opposed to being launched. Sadly because of this some "larger" families may have to split up but of course we out of courtesy, can't ever really tell them why they can't ride together but many already figured it out.

If we DO try to override the computer system and allow it to go it we then will have the ride perform an Automatic Emergency Stop since the weight will make the rocket far too fast to stop with the brakes and if the brakes cannot catch it then it can in a worst case scenario, catch up to the rocket in front of it and crash into it. Now why couldn't this be fixed when the ride got updated in 05? Well it's due to lack of space since the ride is indoors for expanding the track and the fact that once you reach the top of the mountain gravity takes over for the entire ride unlike other coasters in the resort that reach a bottom and go up another lift hill. Having sometimes that one extra empty seat can make the difference between the rocket being dispatched and forcing it to be taken off and having to regroup a family into a new rocket after pulling them out.

Next is timing. At it's fastest, Space dispatches at 21 sec so any delay will cause us to back up and we try our best to avoid that by not forcing each seat to be filled. Sometimes because of the heavier weight of a rocket, it will force us to give them a "gap" between a light 1st and a heavy next and we do our best to just keep adding groups. Request for specific rows is another issue that goes hand in hand with timing. A LOT of people ask for the front/back/whatever and sometimes at the wrong time (like after you were already assigned a number by the grouper). We don't have the luxury of time at Space to do that/fill rows and consider weight/get people from the exit that use GAC cards/VIP groups/Rider Switch pass guests/etc. Adding on Single rider is just asking for more issues and Space Mt get's far too many guest concerns that adding this will only cause more.

Location is a smaller but still important factor. Where do we put it? We have no space for it and it would be Indy all over again with people possibly line jumping if not placed properly trying to cheat the system just to avoid waiting. I can only imagine the issue many will have with it due to people refusing to follow simple rules/twisting the system/or lack of care from guests who don't bother to report problems since they don't care that someone just cut in front of them. Less is more but that's just me personally. That "scheme" you just admitted to is why I and possibly ALL of the CMs who operate Space will never want single rider to be added.

Long story short, Space Mountain does fine without it and for those wanting to cut down on waiting, that's what Fastpass was added for in the first place.

...as I see it

• Foolish Mortal

Okay well here's an idea, like Splash Mountain why not enter Space Mountain through the exit for Single Rider? I see no trouble in that. All you have to do is go to the original entrance and ask a CM for a Single Rider ticket and walk towards the exit to enter the ride. What's so complex about that?

I personally hate waiting in a long line for this ride when I'm a single rider. It's unnecessary.

•   
    • Minion

It's understood that it won't happen, but think a single rider line would be great. I also do understand the guests who say they wouldn't want to ride with a stranger. I don't mind being around strangers at Disneyland; I do mind when they lean on me for three minutes.

Most of the time I'd say that if you don't want to be around other people, Disney's not a great place for someone. However, on both SM and GSS the seats are very tight and that can make a ride very uncomfortable if you don't know the person with whom you're squished up. Then there's the unfortunate stuff like (lack of) hygiene, a stench of strong perfume or cigarette smoke or the occasional perverts--and again, with the tight seats, it can get uncomfortable with a stranger.

So I think on GSS and SM--the two rides with tight seating--a person should be asked if they mind a single rider next to them, the way they used to do on Toy Story.

On SM's line, every now and then I'll get to talking with a group of people and they'll ask me to sit with them. I don't mind that but it's a choice I make.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Slappypunk View Post
    Okay well here's an idea, like Splash Mountain why not enter Space Mountain through the exit for Single Rider? I see no trouble in that. All you have to do is go to the original entrance and ask a CM for a Single Rider ticket and walk towards the exit to enter the ride. What's so complex about that?

I personally hate waiting in a long line for this ride when I'm a single rider. It's unnecessary.
    The wheelchair accessible line is already at the exit. on busy days it's already crowded in that area so adding single rider would congest things even more. Another thing that can cause problems is people simply can just exit from one side only to run across to the other side that is for wheelchair access and sneak in that way. it's been an ongoing issue that I and many others try to stop but we can only do so much. Space doesn't need 4 separate lines for its attraction. The Question I ask you and others is why is it unnecessary for you to wait just because you're by yourself? Why can't that one person wait in line like everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's understood that it won't happen, but think a single rider line would be great. I also do understand the guests who say they wouldn't want to ride with a stranger. I don't mind being around strangers at Disneyland; I do mind when they lean on me for three minutes.

Most of the time I'd say that if you don't want to be around other people, Disney's not a great place for someone. However, on both SM and GSS the seats are very tight and that can make a ride very uncomfortable if you don't know the person with whom you're squished up. Then there's the unfortunate stuff like (lack of) hygiene, a stench of strong perfume or cigarette smoke or the occasional perverts--and again, with the tight seats, it can get uncomfortable with a stranger.

So I think on GSS and SM--the two rides with tight seating--a person should be asked if they mind a single rider next to them, the way they used to do on Toy Story.

On SM's line, every now and then I'll get to talking with a group of people and they'll ask me to sit with them. I don't mind that but it's a choice I make.
    By the same token we actually have regulars at space mountain who happen to be single riders that REQUEST that they ride solo, they refuse to have another single rider sit next to them. imagine that. sometimes filling a space is more trouble than it's worth...

As I see it