Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What does Disneyland mean to you?

I don't have many wonderful memories of Disneyland growing up; I probably only went twice when I was a kid (despite living a little over an hour away).

But now that I am getting older (just turned the big 3-0 on the 5th), I have realized that nothing is better than happiness and creating memories. My husband and I are childfree but we are young at heart and love to have fun, creating memories together is our priority. I've always loved Disney movies and I think it may stem from that...

... to sum it up: when we are at Disneyland my heart is happy!! I feel like a kid again and love to soak it all in and feel the magic. The smile I see on his face when we ride his favorite ride, POTC, makes me feel so happy and complete. Disneyland transport me into a fantasy land where I can be a kid again and forgot the days troubles

Disneyland reminds me of my grandmother - no idea why, being we lived in Australia and she had alzheimer's we never went together. I suspect she watched A Day At Disneyland with me. Anything that gives me a tie to her is wonderful.

In addition my fiancé and I went as part of a group (we weren't together at the time) 10 years ago. First time for both of us, we've been back once and are planning something special for our upcoming trip.

It's a place of magic, where troubles can be forgotten, young and old, different ethnicities and religions, able bodied and disabled (getting the idea?) can come together and be accepted as people with a shared love, differences set aside.
    Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.

• Blew By You

Disneyland and I were born in the same year. We're growing older at the same time, except Disneyland is definitely looking better than me.

It's a place to escape, a place to explore. A place full of adventures for me to embark upon with my loved ones. It's a place to create memories that last a lifetime.

The first time I visited Disneyland was back in 1977. My dad was in the military and was in California for two weeks. On his time off he took us to see all of the attractions in the area. One of the stops was Disneyland. It was in July so it was REALLY hot. I remember being completely underwhelmed with the park. There weren't too may thrill rides for an 8 year old boy. I do remember standing in line for the Matterhorn for about 3 hours in the hot sun. It was a bit anti-climatic. We went to Knott's Berry Farm shortly after that and I thought that Knott's Berry Farm was light years ahead of Disneyland as far as the rides went.

When I was a bit older (in the late '80s) I was dating a girl that moved from Salt Lake City to Irvine. I travelled out to see her about once a month. She was a true Disneyland nut! She insisted that I go to the park with her when I visited. Again I wasn't impressed with the park. I thought the coolest part was Videopolis (anyone remember that?) Other than that, I still thought the park was pretty boring. I actually dreaded spending the day there (other than I got to spend time with my girlfriend).

Years went by, I got married, and had a daughter. In 2004 we thought that it might be fun to take her to Disneyland. I still wasn't too excited about going, but you do a lot of things that you normally wouldn't do for your kids. We walked in proceeded down Main Street to Fantasyland. She was 4 years old at the time so I thought that she would enjoy Fantasyland more than any other area of the park. We walked around the castle and I remembered that the Alice In Wonderland ride was just on the other side of the castle. When we walked around the corner we saw Alice, the White Rabbit, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and the Queen. This was before I knew anything about autograph books so we just got in line thinking that it was a chance to get our picture taken.

When we got near the front of the line all of the characters started leaving. Alice asked my daughter if she had an autograph book that she could sign. My daughter also had no idea how the autographs worked. Alice grabbed her hand and said "Would you like to go on an adventure with me?". The two of them took off leaving my wife and I staring in disbelief. Alice took my daughter over to see Monstro. She sat and talked to her but my wife and I couldn't hear what she was saying. Every time we got close Alice would take off with my daughter and go somewhere else. She took her to the Mad Hatter shop and they tried on hats and sunglasses. We were able to get some great pictures. She took her to the little door outside the shop and had her knock on the door to see if the White Rabbit was home. They ended up on one side of the Tea Cups yelling back and forth with the Mad Hatter. My daughter was having a blast! Alice probably spent around 45 minutes with my daughter.

At that moment my view of Disneyland COMPLETELY changed. We had a wonderful trip. We figured out the autograph books. Something changed about me too. I LOVE Disneyland now. We try to make the trip at least once a year. My wife and I have even made a couple of trips without our kids! It is a very special place to me and my family. We talk about it all of the time and I spend a lot of time reading about it on Micechat!

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

Quote Originally Posted by bwillard View Post
    The first time I visited Disneyland was back in 1977. My dad was in the military and was in California for two weeks. On his time off he took us to see all of the attractions in the area. One of the stops was Disneyland. It was in July so it was REALLY hot. I remember being completely underwhelmed with the park. There weren't too may thrill rides for an 8 year old boy. I do remember standing in line for the Matterhorn for about 3 hours in the hot sun. It was a bit anti-climatic. We went to Knott's Berry Farm shortly after that and I thought that Knott's Berry Farm was light years ahead of Disneyland as far as the rides went.

When I was a bit older (in the late '80s) I was dating a girl that moved from Salt Lake City to Irvine. I travelled out to see her about once a month. She was a true Disneyland nut! She insisted that I go to the park with her when I visited. Again I wasn't impressed with the park. I thought the coolest part was Videopolis (anyone remember that?) Other than that, I still thought the park was pretty boring. I actually dreaded spending the day there (other than I got to spend time with my girlfriend).

Years went by, I got married, and had a daughter. In 2004 we thought that it might be fun to take her to Disneyland. I still wasn't too excited about going, but you do a lot of things that you normally wouldn't do for your kids. We walked in proceeded down Main Street to Fantasyland. She was 4 years old at the time so I thought that she would enjoy Fantasyland more than any other area of the park. We walked around the castle and I remembered that the Alice In Wonderland ride was just on the other side of the castle. When we walked around the corner we saw Alice, the White Rabbit, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and the Queen. This was before I knew anything about autograph books so we just got in line thinking that it was a chance to get our picture taken.

When we got near the front of the line all of the characters started leaving. Alice asked my daughter if she had an autograph book that she could sign. My daughter also had no idea how the autographs worked. Alice grabbed her hand and said "Would you like to go on an adventure with me?". The two of them took off leaving my wife and I staring in disbelief. Alice took my daughter over to see Monstro. She sat and talked to her but my wife and I couldn't hear what she was saying. Every time we got close Alice would take off with my daughter and go somewhere else. She took her to the Mad Hatter shop and they tried on hats and sunglasses. We were able to get some great pictures. She took her to the little door outside the shop and had her knock on the door to see if the White Rabbit was home. They ended up on one side of the Tea Cups yelling back and forth with the Mad Hatter. My daughter was having a blast! Alice probably spent around 45 minutes with my daughter.

At that moment my view of Disneyland COMPLETELY changed. We had a wonderful trip. We figured out the autograph books. Something changed about me too. I LOVE Disneyland now. We try to make the trip at least once a year. My wife and I have even made a couple of trips without our kids! It is a very special place to me and my family. We talk about it all of the time and I spend a lot of time reading about it on Micechat!

That was so beautiful. Ah! I love stories like this!

I just love reading all these answers and find myself nodding along. I can't offer anything new that hasn't been said yet. Disneyland is such a special place and I particularly love the role it plays for young kids. I'm sure bwillard will forever remember that adventure with Alice (and I hope your DD does, too!). I hope my girls have something just as memorable on our next trip!
    Disneyland 9/15/11-9/18/11 *** Next trip in April 2013

We LOVED our Kids Suite at HoJo and you can read my detailed review here!

my childhood. my best memories. the butterflies that i feel entering the park. i feel creative, inspired, awestruck, and joyous when i'm at disneyland. i've been so many times throughout my life, and it has never failed to make my heart feel absolutely full of love.

/corny.

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

For me, it's escaping all of my worries and responsibilities. Leaving everything behind, and entering a world of imagination and happiness. It makes me feel like a giddy little kid all over again.

• Former CM

Disneyland is a place of magic and wonder. It is a time machine ready to transport you anywhere that your imagination can take you. It's a place where troubles don't exist and everybody has a laughin' place. It's the hopes and dreams of one man while simultaneously holding the same hopes and dreams of millions the world over. It's a home away from home. It's a place where charm, good people, and love abound. It's a symbol of the American Dream. It's the heart of the entire Disney company. It's a place where you can escape. A place where the people from your best memories of childhood exist in a perfect world of their own.

Disneyland means too much to ever really be able to sum it up. It's a piece of my heart. I have so many fond memories, of family, friends, coworkers, and experiences there that the park in itself might as well be an old friend or family member. When I visit there I don't ever find myself doubting the existence of magic, of fairies, and I find inspiration there to continue to dream and work towards a goal.

Walt said it best,
    "To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

It's just a place unlike any other. A place where there are no problems, just pure childlike fun and happiness.

It's like neverland, where you never have to grow up

You can sing, dance, smile, laugh, play, pretty much whatever you want and there won't be a judging eye.

Everybody is so friendly, everything is so clean and wonderful, and everything has a touch of magic to it, even the bathrooms

It's so wonderfully inspired, so well thought out, so euphorically great.

It's too much to explain.

No matter how many books are written about Disneyland nothing will ever be enough.

It is truly something unique, and it's my belief that everyone who has the means to should visit during their lifetime.

And people who have more than the means to go and a generous heart, should give others the opportunity to go

• Foolish Mortal

Disneyland means so much to me. Disneyland was able to make all my woes go away and made me happy no matter what. Disneyland makes me feel like a kid again. I can escape from reality when I'm there and when I leave I feel better about myself.

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

Disneyland is my favorite place in the entire world. The best way to explain why is by showing the plaque, but someone already did that. It's a world of dreams, where everyone is happy. It's so clean, and it feels like you really have entered a whole new world. It's so amazing you feel like you are the fairytale. I have never seen a place so immersible, and so wonderful. I know no matter how old I get, Disneyland will always be there to make me feel young again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12