Thread: Favorite Memory

• Banned User

Favorite Memory

I’ve been going to Disneyland since before I can remember, and I have countless memories both as a kid and an adult but I think my most cherished one is right after Splash Mountain had just opened.

My family went during the off season and back then the park would close around 6pm. We were riding Splash Mountain as our last ride of the day and trip when it broke down on the final chain lift. I would have been more upset but we got walked off the ride (first time in my life) and it was mind-blowing for me as a young kid to see behind the curtain of Disneyland. When we finally got off the ride the park had been closed and Disneyland was empty. It was eerie to see the whole place just dead. We stopped at RoA and had the cast member who was walking us out take a picture of the whole family and an empty NOS and FL in the background in daylight. It’s such an awesome picture and a great memory.

• Monorail Junkie

Re: Favorite Memory

Great question.

I to have been going to the park since I was little. I think my first trip was in 1972, I was 4 at the time. I dont remember much about those early trips until 1976-77 and I vividly remember the America on Parade parade. The original Main Stree Electrical Parade with the original dragon (hate the petes dragon float). The open air stage where captain EO is, Mission to the moon then mars. I think that all my memories over the years have been fantastic. But the most special memory I have is watching my son's eyes light up when entering Disneyland for the first time. To me that was just the best feeling of all time, to know that he was just starting his Disneyland adventures.

Great post.

• genie stole my BBQ

I remember my first time at Disneyland when I was 8. My parents always promised we would go again, never happened as a kid.

So here's the favorite memory of what started my families obsession with the park.

It was 2002 and the wife had been asking we take a vacation. So we start planning, shall it be Santa Cruz, Camping, Monterey? After asking our 5yo where he wanted to go, it was decided that we would go spend a day at Monterey Aquarium. As we made our way south we made a stop at a family members house in San Jose. This family member started telling my wife about her recent trip to Disneyland and how we had to go. We finally leave my cousins house at 5-6pm and continue on our way. We are well on our way now and nearing the 156 exit on hwy 101 as my wife turns to me and says "maybe we should just continue driving south to Disneyland." This was all the motivation I needed. So unknown to my son we drove the rest of the way to Anaheim and checked in to the Castle Inn around 1am. My son who of course slept nearly the entire car ride wake up bright and early, ready to go see the aquarium. After breakfast, we start the walk to the park, my son is completely oblivious to where we are. Of course we stand in line at the entrance and my son starts asking where we are. I ask him back where does he think we are. His reply in line was "I don't know." Finally we are through the gate! He looks and the big flower Mickey and the smile that came across his face practically brings tears to my eyes. The smile was followed by "We're at Disneyland!"

Since that trip 10 years ago not a years has gone by that we have not visited the park. As a matter of fact tomorrow will be this years first trip. I have also taken cousins, nephews nieces, uncles, my brother, and my best man to their first visit.

• Banned User

omg that story almost made me cry.

One of my favourite memories was on the trip I took when I was 11 (in 1999 for reference) and we had some family friends and their daughter with us, who was 4 (my parents are her godparents so we always called her my godsister). We got into the lineup for POTC, and my little 4 year old godsister started to get nervous once she caught on that this was a ride about pirates, and started crying in the line.

A really nice POTC CM in full pirate gear walked up to her and said really genuinely, "Arrr, don't cry little girl! We be nice pirates! We just sing songs!". And she just blinked at him and stopped crying, and did go on the ride... and absolutely loved it and wanted to go on again right after! So that CM really brought the Disneyland magic for us that day in a big way! I will always remember that!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..