What is a realistic food budget for a fam of 3 (maybe 4) at DLR?

I'm tring to realistically plan for our food budget in DL. We are a family of two adults , one picky 6 yr old and a possible add on of a 13 yr old who can easily eat as much as an adult man. We'll be in the park(s) for 4 days in mid Oct. We're not big on breakfast but we do love food. We were told the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ is a good bet with large, shareable portions and the Plaza Inn was a fair choice as well. Other than that we really don't need anything sit down style. The kids would be fine with hot dogs/corn dogs, burgers & fries the usual fast easy stuff. We'd be OK leaving the park and eatting fast food at times as well. I've read on several sites that $50 per person per day is a safe bet. I know my youngest can't eat that much $$ but I think it might be a fair bet for the rest of us. Thanks for your input!

• MaliBOOMer

Re: What is a realistic food budget for a fam of 3 (maybe 4) at DLR?

Yes $50 a day per person is a safe bet.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• formerly very helpful

In my experience, my family of 5 (two adults, a 13, 9, and 7 year olds), can eat for less than $100 a day, total. Now, you have the equivalent of 3 adults, so that will be a lot of food. If your young one has a small apettite, children's meals will save a couple of bucks. That barbeque is a nice restaurant, but pricy. I thin it's close to 27 a person, including drinks. Kids under 10 are less. We stay away from places where they bring us food so we save a little. If you don't mind leaving the parks, you'll do even better. We also pack non-perishable snacks and water bottles to take with us. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
    We were told the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ is a good bet with large, shareable portions
    As an all-you-can-eat place, I seriously doubt they allow for sharing of food.

My family is similar in makeup to yours and I'd recommend you should estimate $40-$60 for lunch and $50-80 for dinner, total with drinks, if you're going to really sit down and have meals together. We usually just snack or share things to minimize costs (example: A couple of stuffed potatoes and a bratwurst from Troubadour Tavern for around $35). At about $7, the kids meals at most food places are usually a pretty good option for the little ones.

Here's a good resource of Disneyland Resort menus, with pricing:
    Disneyland Resort Menus

• Minion

go to ihop or McDonald's or red Robbin or some other places across the street

• And Dad was my hero.

I would say about 50-75 a day.

Good heavy breakfast outside the park is a good idea if you can swing it.

Lunch @ White Water snacks in GC if you are in DCA. Pretty much any counter service except Pizza Port for lunch in DL.

Dinner. Again any counter service. I agree that you should do Plaza Inn one night and Big Thunder BBQ for dinners, both are filling for the $$$. Although you might be safer going somewhere shareable with the 6 year old I think. If it were me I would share with her everywhere. Picky eaters almost always do better seeing others eat new things first and eating like birds from what you have in my experience.

• I'm wishing

I think your estimate is just about right. I would set an approximate budget each day, that way if you do walk across to McDonald's one day for lunch, maybe you can splurge for dinner at Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle that night! Be warned though, even the McD's across the street is slightly higher priced than other McD's. Familiarize yourself with the menus online as suggested, that you can can plan even better! Have a great time!!

I usually plan for $200 per day. We are one adult, two teens, and a 7-year-old. We eat in the parks or DTD for every meal and snack. I almost always have a little leftover at the end of the day. I set that aside daily, and we use it for souvenirs at the end of our trip.

I would eat breakfast before you enter (something quick and easy) probably be about $20 for the group.

Buy lunch for the kids in the park and get something you and your husband can share (chili fries) $20

Go to In and Out burger when the park closes $15. That's $55/day

We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express and they have a great complimentary breakfast. We eat well. We are then good until mid-afternoon and will eat at the park. Pizza Port usually because the kids want their pizza and I want some pasta. This gets up to $50 or more if we grab some of the cookies, etc. For supper we eat after leaving the park and hit the IHOP which gives one free kids meal for each adult entree' ordered. This keeps the food budget somewhat reasonable. We also splurge for one treat each at the park each day. So add $15 for ice cream/churros, etc. I realize we aren't talking fine dining here so ignore if that is your taste preference is.

• Blew By You

I don't know where you'll be staying, but for one or two meals, I'd make a picnic meal. You could go to a nearby grocery store and get a meal from the deli section. In this manner, you would not spend as much of your money and be able to secure your $50 target.

• Minion

I find I can get away with $40-50 a day on food for myself. I eat a lot. I usually do breakfast somewhere for around $6 since I just get a pastry, $14 lunch at places like Pacific Wharf, Golden Horseshoe...etc. Quick service. About the same for dinner. The last $6-16 are for drinks throughout the day (important) as well as snacks like churros or ice cream.

I personally wouldn't recommend skimping out more than I do because you're at Disneyland. It's time to eat and forget about whatever diet someone might be on.

• See Ya Real Soon!

Check out the menu's at allears.net and get an idea of where/what you want to eat.

I plan $15/meal per adult. We bring breakfast or eat the hotel breakfast.

Disneyland food is worth every penny if you ask me! It is delicious!

I like scrambled eggs and sausage links. Churros. Pizza and fries. Remember... You are at Disneyland! Everything is magical!

Thanks everyone! This is all great advice that's much appreciated! We'll be staying at the Ramada Maingate and we're driving so we'll have our own car to go/eat anywhere.