Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Red Face Cars Land was the last nail in the "Original Attraction" coffin...

The success of Cars Land has cemented into place Disney's brand marketing strategy and there is no going back. I know this is painful and disappointing to many of us, but I think that it's time for us to accept this new reality. There will probably never be an original attraction ever built in the U.S. again, with the possible exception of big thrill rides. This is what Disney does now as a company, they market their most popular brands across all of their empire and from a business perspective it's working. They have no reason to change until it stops working and there's no sign that it will not continue to work. Even on this board, most fans want to see their favorite movie made into a ride. The success of Harry Potter was the last major step, but now with Cars Land's success, I just don't see Disney ever taking the risk on an original idea ever again.

For those who, like me, are fans of theme park design and believe it is its own unique art form, well, we're all going to have to wait for the next Walt to come around or go visit the parks abroad. But I think it's time to end all this complaining about Disney not doing original rides. That era is over, that's not what Disney does anymore, it's time to stop complaining and except it or move on.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Re: Cars Land was the last nail in the "Original Attraction" coffin...

To be honest this argument is really flawed, just by the fact that Fantasyland exist. Walt Disney himself used his own popular characters to promote other properties. So the constant discussion that Carsland creation somehow is something new in the Disney universe is terribly bad history.

• failure for lunch

I certainly hope not. Even though Cars Land is amazing, majority of the other attractions built around Disney franchises have been absolutely awful. It's really hard to say that a ride wouldn't be popular without it being built around a brand, but when was the last time they even tried??

and I said 'tried', so I'm not accepting the original DCA for an answer. That just wasn't trying.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

The thing about the Fantasy Land rides is I don't think they were ever meant to be around this long. They are all relatively cheaply built and I think they were meant to be able to be easily replaced with new franchises down the line, but never were.

Rides like Pinocchio and Snow White could have easily have been transformed into Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast or the many other films that came before them.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tuxhero View Post
    To be honest this argument is really flawed, just by the fact that Fantasyland exist. Walt Disney himself used his own popular characters to promote other properties. So the constant discussion that Carsland creation somehow is something new in the Disney universe is terribly bad history.
    I never said anything about Walt not building attractions based on his own films. I never said that Cars Land was anything all that new. This has been thirty year process that is now complete and the era of original attractions is done.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

While it would be cool to see more original rides, I think that quality rides that, although include characters, have an original story are almost as good. I believe that rides are meant to tell a story. Great rides like Indiana Jones, Roger Rabbit, Star Tours, and even Radiator Springs Racers all tell a unique story separate from their respective movies, just using existing characters. I think for a ride to incorporate characters the ride should be able to sustain itself without them. You could easily pretend that Indiana Jones is just a random archeologist, or that Radiator Springs Racers is just a normal race through the desert. In all honesty, I'm completely fine with Disney classic movies being made into rides (like TLM), but when Pixar movies are made into rides (FNSV and Monsters Inc) I don't like them. Just my thoughts!

• Former CM

Here's hoping that this isn't true. While Cars Land is indeed an overwhelming success (a well deserved one) I would absolutely hate to not have any completely new and original attractions come to Disney here in the U.S.

Yes, it's been years since we've had a completely original attraction but hopefully with the rumored expansion of Tomorrowland we'll get something original and exciting (and hopefully not Marvel!)

The only way the PeopleMover will ever be back is if Pixar makes a PeopleMover movie...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    ...I think it's time to end all this complaining about Disney not doing original rides. That era is over, that's not what Disney does anymore, it's time to stop complaining and except it or move on.
    Meaning no disrespect to your post, I must disagree. The administration and staff of this forum repeatedly have gone on record as welcoming and encouraging discussions of all opinions of things Disney -- including those opinions that are critical of Disney's creative, administrative, managerial and other policies.

Speaking only as a forum member, I guarantee you that opinions on all sides of the issue of Disney not doing original rides will continue to be posted and will continue to be discussed, regardless of calls to "stop complaining," "move on," or otherwise limit, define or censor the topics of discussion on this forum.

To wit:

Quote Originally Posted by tuxhero View Post
    To be honest, that's a complete misrepresentation of the argument. It has never been argued that brand-based rides are bad in and of themselves. The argument is that the balance between brand-based and original rides has been lost.

The fact that Walt Disney used his own popular characters in Disneyland rides has never been an issue. The historical fact is that brand-based rides in the pre-Eisner era were in the vast minority compared to original rides. Again, the issue is balance.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• 5 Star

Big Grizzly Mountain Run Away Mine Cars.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, I wouldn't care if EVERY attraction at the Disney theme parks was based on a Disney movie--as long as the quality was good. After all, the only reason I go to Disney theme parks is to be immersed in their movies. If it weren't for Disney movies there wouldn't have ever been a Disneyland. So anybody who complains about too many attractions at a Disney theme park being based on movies is like going to a wedding and then complaining about the fact there's a bride and groom present. It just makes no sense to me.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I hope we get some Original rides still many just have a "classic" feeling to them..like we made this ride because it would be a good attraction like HM or Pirates.

While Racers is...we hope you enjoy it...now buy a T shirt

I want both kinda rides in the park...but its been since 11 years with out an "original" idea be nice to get one at least every ten

Thank you ColonelWalrus, the new attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland is not based on any established current franchise "movie" series, so there goes that point right there, and exactly Witches of Morva, the entire argument is based solely on the fact that the few pixar rides that have opened were done mostly during periods of cheap over the counter ride creation.

That or the rides were built to take over a previous ride, like the submarine ride. The witches prove that it's not about the premise but the execution. You can build a park all about Marvel comic characters but if you build a park that looks like any other over the counter park around the world, then yes its going to fail. Carsland is proving to Disney that Walt did it right the first time, draw us into the world you are creating and people will come by the millions. Cut corners and be cheap about it, and watch those people go to the next best thing.

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Well, I wouldn't care if EVERY attraction at the Disney theme parks was based on a Disney movie--as long as the quality was good. After all, the only reason I go to Disney theme parks is to be immersed in their movies. If it weren't for Disney movies there wouldn't have ever been a Disneyland. So anybody who complains about too many attractions at a Disney theme park being based on movies is like going to a wedding and then complaining about the fact there's a bride and groom present. It just makes no sense to me.
    Really?? That is the last reason that I ever go to the Parks. In fact, anytime a Swiss Family Treehouse gets changed into a Tarzan Treehouse, or when a voyage through liquid space dives into just finding Nemo, or seeing a piece of Main Street USA get carved up to build another spot to meet princesses, it feels less and less like Disneyland to me.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Meaning no disrespect to your post, I must disagree. The administration and staff of this forum repeatedly have gone on record as welcoming and encouraging discussions of all opinions of things Disney -- including those opinions that are critical of Disney's creative, administrative, managerial and other policies.

Speaking only as a forum member, I guarantee you that opinions on all sides of the issue of Disney not doing original rides will continue to be posted and will continue to be discussed, regardless of calls to "stop complaining," "move on," or otherwise limit, define or censor the topics of discussion on this forum.

To wit:

To be honest, that's a complete misrepresentation of the argument. It has never been argued that brand-based rides are bad in and of themselves. The argument is that the balance between brand-based and original rides has been lost.

The fact that Walt Disney used his own popular characters in Disneyland rides has never been an issue. The historical fact is that brand-based rides in the pre-Eisner era were in the vast minority compared to original rides. Again, the issue is balance.
    You're right, I can't control what other people post, but I'm making the point that it's become a discussion of nothing more then dislike of a Disney policy that isn't going to change.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast