Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAIT!

I'm just going to go ahead and say it:

If you use a wheelchair, cart, crutches, GAC, etc. to get around Disneyland, I have no problem with you going through the exit. But you should have to wait the minimum of the posted wait time for that ride.

If the sign posted says 60 mins, you have to sit there for 60 mins and wait your turn. Sorry, but maybe this will make things fair for everyone!

• Sock Puppet

Re: People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAI

The people with disabilities, like someone in a wheel chair, may have more wrong with them then meets the eye. "invisible" disabilities that prevent them from going on every ride we all can, or make it harder for them.

If they are going through the exit trust me you don't get on too quickly, they do make you wait. But what's the point of slowing everyone down either just because it's "fair." Their disability isn't fair compared to the person thats perfectly healthy. I know for space mountain the time to get people into the special loaded car, then onto the track, takes a while. So that time should be accounted for too.

Maybe some people may get worn out, or not be able to stay as long because of their disability so I think personally it's just a nice gesture to help those guests have the best possible day they can at Disneyland..

But my dad has a serious disability, and he can't enjoy the park like we all do no matter what, so letting him on the rides the way they have it set up now, would make our day and his day that much better.

But of course to the "fakes".. that's just not fair. They shouldn't get that privilege.

Re: People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAI

I think they should use a card system in which you go to where the line starts, tell the cast member and the cast member hands a card to a guest entering. Once that guest gets to the end of the line and hands the card to the cast member, the disabled guest gets to board.

Their disability may not be fair to them, but that doesn't mean society owes them a front-of-the-line pass. I think this system would reduce the amount the system is abused.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I think they should use a card system in which you go to where the line starts, tell the cast member and the cast member hands a card to a guest entering. Once that guest gets to the end of the line and hands the card to the cast member, the disabled guest gets to board.

Their disability may not be fair to them, but that doesn't mean society owes them a front-of-the-line pass. I think this system would reduce the amount the system is abused.
    What happens if the ride breaks and the guest with the card decides to leave? Or whatever other reason that carded guest can't stay? It puts pressure on that guest, which isn't fair to them.

I am okay with the system in place. There is not an extraordinary amount of guests who use the handicap lines so my experience is not hindered by theirs.

What I find hilarious is that the general consensus is it's people with disabilities abusing the system. Guess what? The majority of us are happy to wait (and do depending on the ride - EG Space Mountain) and don't want to be singled out more than we have to be. I'd love to be able to enter via the regular queue, cuz if there's a wait involved I'd rather wait where it's been themed and made as interested as possible... as opposed to watching how many people go into the bathroom as it is at Space Mountain.
    Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.

•   
    • Minion

A lot of GACS DO work that way. If you have a GAC that says you need to stay out of the sun (and that's no joke for someone with extreme sun sensitivity; there are a lot of illnesses and meds that cause it), you get to sit in the shade for your wait. If you can't stand, you can have a place to sit. A GAC does NOT mean that person is just running to the next ride vehicle. It's like the Single Rider line. Sometimes you wait a long time. Sometimes you don't. Sometimes the standby is the same way too.

Also, some things to keep in mind the next time you see someone going to the "front of the line":

1. At some rides like Small World, there's only one ride vehicle that can accommodate wheelchair users who cannot transfer. That means that a wheelchair has to wait until that particular vehicle comes around. If there's more than one wheelchair user? The wait will be super long. If you're only fourth in line and you're waiting for that vehicle to come around, and iasw is 15 minutes long...15 minutes x 4 guests waiting x 2 minutes for loading and unloading each party...you're going to be waiting LONGER than the standby line.

2. A lot of rides can only accommodate one or two transfers at a time. Go around the back of Splash Mountain sometime and look at the GAC line. It barely moves. Likewise, at Space Mountain watch how long the disabled have to wait before they can load into the rocket and be switched out onto the track.

3. The only ones who really get those "jump the line" passes are Make a Wish kids, and I'm sorry, I'm not going to protest is they offer that to a 5 year old with cancer who might not survive.

4. At a lot of rides they don't even need a disabled entrance so disabled riders go on the regular line, they just might have a separate unloading/loading area. Examples are BLAB and the Haunted Mansion. Rides with separate GAC entrances are those with steps, like BTMRR, or those that are too narrow for wheelchairs to navigate. Just because you see someone going through the GAC line at BTMRR it doesn't mean they will be on the ride in 5 minutes. You have no idea if they're going to sit for 30 minutes before they're loaded onto the attraction.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I think they should have to wait a little...but really if its two hours and they get on in a hour...good for them...I know someone who was in a chair for Cancer...on the outside looked fine (worn a wig so you could not tell she was bald)

And while some may abuse it...I am more then ok with them getting on the ride in half the time I am....some of them have tough lives...give them this one thing...tough it out for goodness shake if nothing else

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I think they should have to wait a little...but really if its two hours and they get on in a hour...good for them...I know someone who was in a chair for Cancer...on the outside looked fine (worn a wig so you could not tell she was bald)

And while some may abuse it...I am more then ok with them getting on the ride in half the time I am....some of them have tough lives...give them this one thing...tough it out for goodness shake if nothing else
    ITA. There are so many illnesses and disabilities that don't show on the outside, so you never can judge. That 21 year old being pushed in a wheelchair by her friends might be a cystic fibrosis patient. That person who is "walking fine" might have an artificial leg under his jeans. That woman who seems energetic might be having one of her few "good days" between her rounds of chemo. You just never know.

• Minion

I use a scooter, my daughter has a service dog. We don't want to get on faster, we just want to get on. I have no complaints when we wait in the HA line at IASW for 25 mins while someone walking up boards in 9 (timed it...) Just need to be able to avoid the stairs. Or how about POTC. Since they can only board 6 disabled groups per cycle, it is often considerably longer to wait there. We've seen it walk on, and we've had to wait 20 mins. To those who think using the HA line is a FOTL pass, come live in our shoes a while. I *LOVE* DCA. It is all accessible, and no one is giving you dirty looks for waiting in the same line.

There are some that try to abuse it, but karma, and learning there really is a wait, teaches them it isn't worth it.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

This is a tough one, Monster Heck. I understand your point very well. As I understand it, the GACs are basically available on demand and there appears to be some abuse of the system. I've seen people who look a lot healthier than myself waltz up through the exit, get on the attraction and exit while I am still in line. Does that tee me off, No
    The GAC program is intended or people with real difficulties. Just as importantly, there is the individual's companion who must help get the person through the day. I am sure that is not an easy task. The other four healthy people tacked on to the GAC are another issue, but I'm going to give them a pass, too.
    In the overall picture, does it really matter is you wait a few minutes more to let the GAC go ahead? Most of your wait time is for people like yourself. To use the old adage,"Life is not fair." It may not be fair that you have to wait a bit longer for a GAC or two. It is not fair to the people that really need the GAC.
    Yes, there are people who abuse the system. So be it. If their selfishness & arrogance is so great that they must scam the system at others' expense then they need help that no card or wheelchair can give. Life also has a way of leveling the score one way or the other. You may not see it, but it will happen.
    The most important thing, however, is that you not allow the behavior of those abusing the GACs to affect your trip. You've saved & waited to go to Disneyland only to allow yourself to get irritated by them. You are ruining your own time over something with which you have no control.
    For me, I much prefer waiting in line rather than need the GAC service. You never know how good it feels to be able to stand on your own two feet until you cannot do it anymore.
    Last edited by gomezaddams; 07-13-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

I use a scooter and you know what I wish? DL re constructed every single line so that they were ada compliant. So I don't have to go through the exit, so that I can see the full queue for each attraction and so others guest didn't get upset that it appears I get to skip to the FOTL.

But that is never going to happen. So in the mean time I will wait hidden away near bathrooms, in small confined spaces that only fit one or two wheelchairs (not including our companions), and listen to the comments from perfectly healthy people about how I must be faking it because I am young and appear healthy.

Let's stop assuming disabled guests get everything faster than the other guests and focus on why we are all in the park to begin with.

Forget we are all different, forget we are broke after this vacation, forget about work and school, and remember Walt, remember the magic in the park, and remember making magical moments possible for each guest that enters those gates and travels through those arches under Walts words.

Rant over, apologetically, your fellow Disney fanatic and disabled individual.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    The other four healthy people tacked on to the GAC are another issue, but I'm going to give them a pass, too.
    I am the grandmother to 1 adorable 18mos old girl. When we go to Disneyland, it is myself, my 2 daughters, my son and DIL and my granddaughter. My older daughter has her hearing dog with us. Should I not be allowed to enjoy the joy of my granddaughter riding POTC because my daughter and I need to use the HA line? Yes, on most rides, my son, DIL, and the baby could ride faster without me, but they wait with me. Why do you feel families should be split up because one of the 4-6 might be in need the HA line?

What about a mom and dad with 2 small children?

I think Disney has a good handle on the GACs and the HA as it is. Are there cheaters? Yes. But I would rather have a few cheaters, than have someone in need denied.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Guardian Construct

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    I'm just going to go ahead and say it:

If you use a wheelchair, cart, crutches, GAC, etc. to get around Disneyland, I have no problem with you going through the exit. But you should have to wait the minimum of the posted wait time for that ride.

If the sign posted says 60 mins, you have to sit there for 60 mins and wait your turn. Sorry, but maybe this will make things fair for everyone!

How would you make it fair for everyone including rides where the handicap line takes much longer than the standard cue? If it takes 120 for a handicap party to get on space and the standard line is 60 mins (yes it happens) are you going to tell the standard line they have to wait and let empty cars go though the ride until they catch up on sending the handicap car around just so everyone waits the same fair time? I know due to evac reasons they are only allowed to have a limited number of wheel chairs on the loading deck and that makes some rides take longer.

• Time tells the truth.

I recently took my disabled wheelchair bound mother to the DLR for her birthday. We had a great time. Every CM we encountered save one made the day special. In fact it was the best Disney experience I have ever had and I have had quite a few!

My mother’s disability did not give us an advantage though. Her limited stamina was our first foe. We went for 4 hours in the morning then she HAD to go home and rest for about 3 hours and we were able to return in the evening for another three hours before she was absolutely done for the day. It took her a week to recover from it.

Everything took longer with my Mom, navigating thru the crowd with her in a wheelchair was challenging to say the least.

Just getting from the parking structure to the parks took at least twice as long. We waited in line for the one row in the one car on the tram that she could ride in. When our time came to board twice the Tram was aligned improperly with the ramp and we had to wait for the next one.

We were able to experience 5 rides & one show before her body betrayed her:

1. Little Mermaid – waited in regular line but had to wait longer than others for a wheelchair ride vehicle.
    2. Mickey’s Fun Wheel – Waited in the regular line
    3. Soaring Over California – used a fastpass
    4. Haunted Mansion – there was no standby line but we still had to wait longer for the special Doom buggy so she could transfer, also had to wait longer to exit as we had to go back the way we came. This ruined some of the magic of the ride but it was cool to see the room shrink back.
    5. Jungle Cruise – We used the exit however again there was no standby line but we had to wait for the one boat that could accommodate her wheelchair. The JC CM’s were the highlight of the night!! They were so wonderful to my mother!
    6. Aladdin – Waited in the regular line and our seating choices were limited

So again we had a wonderful day but her disability did not give us any advantage. Compare our day to an average DL visitor and I am sure we experienced significantly less. As far as someone trying to take advantage of the system… what goes around comes around. It’s not my problem it’s theirs and I’m not going to pass judgment on situations I know nothing about. My goal is to enjoy myself and I try really hard not to let other people’s poor choices take away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberJoy View Post
    What I find hilarious is that the general consensus is it's people with disabilities abusing the system. Guess what? The majority of us are happy to wait (and do depending on the ride - EG Space Mountain) and don't want to be singled out more than we have to be. I'd love to be able to enter via the regular queue, cuz if there's a wait involved I'd rather wait where it's been themed and made as interested as possible... as opposed to watching how many people go into the bathroom as it is at Space Mountain.
    I'm not saying people with disabilities are abusing the system, I'm saying the people without the disabilities are abusing this system.

ohmyjustin:
    If the ride breaks and the carded guest leaves, the guest with the disability will get on if the guest hasn't shown up with the card after the current estimated wait time.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast