Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Looking for Love

Re: Is REX one year away from retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    In all fairness in terms of the marquee, something like that is a bit BIG to hide....
    When I say hid I don't actually mean "hid it", I ment more in the idea of reusing it. Sticking it in a group of robots or maybe the head ontop of a pile if robot parts. You know what I mean. It's one of those "disney known secrets"

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    If Michael Eisner had not angered George Lucas, the attraction probably would have received its additional flights a decade ago.
    It's more of the expense of the thing. George Lucas wants the best digital projectors, THX surround sound. The cost of installation and upkeep... yeesh!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I wasn't talking about the robot. The robot I feel should be reused. I was just saying that sometimes, famous Disneyland things from its own history can be a little too big to hide in a ride as a tribute, like the marquee.

• nothing like the sun

No more "This is Captain REX from the cockpit!" would make me sad. I have a severe case of nostalgia for Star Tours, and while I'm one of the people pushing hard for a new ride film (hey, twenty years will make anything look honky-tonk), REX should be retained in some form or the other.

My brother got one of those toy Starspeeders (with the tiny talking REX inside) from the Star Trader on our last trip, and as I wrenched it away from him and started pushing the buttons, I must admit I got a little misty-eyed at the thought that the Pee Wee-esque cry of "Light speed!" might become only a memory...

(Yeah. Hardcore SW geek here.)

Among the various characters that have been created specifically for Disneyland over the years, "Rex" was one of the strongest.

There are only a few short minutes for character development aboard the Starspeeders, and, yet, his personality seems fully realized.

That's not to say that different flights can't use different pilots, but RX-24 and R2-D2 made a great team.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    I wasn't talking about the robot. The robot I feel should be reused. I was just saying that sometimes, famous Disneyland things from its own history can be a little too big to hide in a ride as a tribute, like the marquee.
    The marquee was sold off in parts, letter by letter.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i say keep rex & let him shuttle us on different adventures (although i love it as-is)!! even just different films in the different parks would be kinda cool.
    <o>

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    The marquee was sold off in parts, letter by letter.
    I know. One of the posts a lot further up mentioned it. I was just trying to say that they can only hide tributes that are small enough to hide reasonably.

do you think WDI will add 2 More Simulators same as DL Paris , WDW and Tokyo to make Star Tours with 6 Simulators ?
    HKDL : Done !!!

• Star Tours Fan

http://www.starwars.com/episode-v/bt...217/index.html

John Ratzenberger, a bit player in The Empire Strikes Back, would go on to star for more than a decade in Cheers, one of the most popular TV sitcoms in American history, set in a bar where, as the song goes, everyone knows your name.

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    There are dozens of other famous character voice actors who could play an alternative pilot think of all the amazing actors from the many recent Pixar films like the guy who played Cliff, he would make a pretty interesting pilot...just add a mustache!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12