Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Didn't Country Bears set the record for most Academy Awards Ever?
    no it lost to Mars Needs Moms

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Cheap! That's why Disney spent a billion dollars on the resort. Got it!
    Ain't got it. Cheap is why Disney was forced to spend a billion dollars on the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    no it lost to Mars Needs Moms
    Which lost to the Haunted Mansion.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

So have they announced Mars Needs Moms Land? What will be in it?

• former CM

I spent the summer of 1983 breathing in diesel fumes while I worked on the Submarine Voyage. I loved that ride, but even back then I thought that the many fish that just went slowly around in circles suspended by very visible wires needed to be replaced by something better. Video screens are not better. Imagineers need fast-moving, animatronic sea creatures that move in a variety of ways at a variety of speeds.

I would like to think as fans of Disney we have high expectations and it's not over analyzing.

We all know the potential of the Finding Nemo ride and we want to see it, the current version is a little uninspired but that does not mean it cannot be fixed.

How about throwing some overlays over the boats that make them look like the characters? How about increasing the eye candy? I remember the ride being a few minutes with only a few seconds of things to look at.

• Banned User

I like the Nemo subs—and I have previously ridden the older version dozens of times. The old version was dated, and the effects were kind of lame, the goofy sea monster and stuff. Near the end, the stuff was falling apart.

Yes, with the older version you had more of an adult ride with some of the scenes, you could imagine yourself beneath the polar ice caps and such, but a lot of the ride was cheesy.

The thing that all of this criticism misses is that Nemo is something that little kids will enjoy as well, it is a family attraction now. Little kids love seeing Nemo and his buddies. Technically, the ride should be part of Fantasyland.

A lot of APers miss the Journey Into Inner Space and the olds subs, and want a ride with a more grown up theme. Here's what they need to do: tear down Innoventions and the people mover track and put the queue and dark ride portions of some new Tomorrowland ride there and utilize the people mover track footprints for a new track for something interesting for adults like an Incredibles or Wall-E or Star Wars ride or something.

I don't see how they could replicate the Nemo from the films without screens (Nemo and buds move really quick), but the screens are just a small part of the whole experience. I still get a kick out of riding the subs, I rode them months ago, chilling in line with Matty in the background and the "Beyond the Sea" song playing, a nice little Disneyland moment.

Nemo 2 is a big deal.

Adjusted box office gross-wise Finding Nemo was Pixar's biggest hit. I loved the film though when I plopped the DVD in the machine I thought it would be lame. If Nemo 2 does similarly well (which it probably will), everybody will be clamoring for Nemo! And in the next four years, having a Nemo ride keeps the characters fresh in the public's mind, IMHO, and promotes the film's sequel actually.

After Nemo 2 comes out, they just might update the ride, who knows?

---------- Post added 07-19-2012 at 05:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I spent the summer of 1983 breathing in diesel fumes while I worked on the Submarine Voyage. I loved that ride, but even back then I thought that the many fish that just went slowly around in circles suspended by very visible wires needed to be replaced by something better. Video screens are not better. Imagineers need fast-moving, animatronic sea creatures that move in a variety of ways at a variety of speeds.
    You'll be happy to know that the subs are now 100% electric.

The ride does have the fast moving angler fish, at least it did and the one in Epcot had them too, only the Kuka arm or whatever breaksdown, this does degrade the ride performance. When I first saw it in Epcot it was amazing, and I think they had it in DLR's Nemo too.

---------- Post added 07-19-2012 at 05:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    It seems to me that the biggest of Nemo's problems (to the company at least) is it's high cost of maintenance.
    They spent something like $50 million to completely refurbish Nemo by sealing up the cracks and using special paint made with recycled glass or something so that the stuff looks good for decades. Marty Sklar famous had the subs looked over by an engineering firm that told him that the subs have something like 40 years of life left in them when they were looking at retiring the subs.

Al Lutz said that the cost of projector bulbs is a problem, but they have new technology coming out that uses an LED light source for digital projectors . . . no bulb to replace. Wait a couple more years and they can refurb the subs with this tech and save the "tens of thousands of dollars" the light bulbs supposedly cost. I don't doubt Al, but somebody is pushing an agenda somewhere . . . spend $600 million for a new ride to save tens of thousands on light bulbs?

Remember, they left the sub pool full of water for *years* with no ride before the massive upgrade. Couldn't cost that much.

I would figure that maintenance of diesel subs was the biggest cost, but now they are electric the number of moving parts is drastically reduced. Electric cars are expected to have less maintenance issues (no oil changes I guess) as there is just really one moving part: the motor.

---------- Post added 07-19-2012 at 06:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    if you don't remember, then of course you don't understand. i definitely remember the old subs, and they were much better than the Best Buy underwater we have now.

I DO remember the old subs, I rode them dozens and dozens of times. It tried to be captivating with the narration and all, but a lot of the stuff looked fake.

People want to remember the old subs like some sort of grown-up submersible Star Tours ride, but you could see how they used air pumped in hoses to move the stuff. The sea monster looked like he was high on pot.

This is how I remember those precious subs (and creepy narration) everybody seems to love:

"Roaming the sea bottom in search of food are the groupers or giant sea bass."

Uh—no, those are plastic fish. Glad though I was here to see the giant sea bass, can't get any good educational material about sea bass these days.

"Submarines can dive safely below the violence of surface storms."

Really? I didn't know that, thanks Mr. Wizard! Surface storms, gollie! I'm going to start calling them that back home!

"Other craft have not been so fortunate."

Look Mom! The Titanic! And a fancy necklace . . .

"A fortune in gold and jewels safely guarded by these man eating sharks and other silent sentinels of the deep."

Why don't we go back and get the treasure as we obviously aren't that far away from port, its like the "captain" doesn't care about earthly treasure, are we on a suicide mission?

"We've reached the polar ice caps sir."

"Take her deep."

"Aye-aye."

Good thing the captain said to take her deep, though he really didn't specify. Shouldn't he be "captaining" the ship or whatever? Wait a minute, polar ice caps, my travel agent didn't mention this . . .

"Mermaids!?! I don't believe it—"

Mom, is the captain taking LSD again? How can we see mermaids when we just entered the black zone under the polar ice cap.

"Ah—Mr. Baxter check the air pressure."

And check to make sure the captain isn't into the nitrous oxide again.

"Mermaids and sunken treasure, something's causing these hallucinations."

Yeah, that would be the acid you dropped. Or maybe you just want us to forget that we saw the sunken treasure, you didn't seem to think you were high then, just went on and on about how the man eating sharks meant we couldn't participate in the "salvage" operation.

"These classic ruins could very well be the lost continent of Atlantis."

Mom, the captain is tripping again.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-18-2012 at 10:15 PM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The thing that all of this criticism misses is that Nemo is something that little kids will enjoy as well, it is a family attraction now. Little kids love seeing Nemo and his buddies.
    It was a family attraction before. I was little when I first went on it with my parents and I wasn't the only kid on the ride. Now it is mostly enjoyed by kids.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Cheap! That's why Disney spent a billion dollars on the resort. Got it!
    I thought it was spent on DCA? Them fixing up the entrance to have a theme people could care about, a new land with 3 new rides (one being an E ticket) and fixing mainly the Pier and adding two rides was to FIX how cheap DCA was built ten years ago

Disney had the early 2000's the worst years of Disney TV, movies and theme parks things about everything after the Tommorrowland redo until the 50th was BAD.....things like Rocket Rods, Nemo, Pooh and Buzz...all cheap rides that will never be classic's just fillers for real Disney attraction yet to come

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    .....things like Rocket Rods, Nemo, Pooh and Buzz...all cheap rides that will never be classic's just fillers for real Disney attraction yet to come
    To be fair, Rocket Rods was a pretty fun ride. I just wish they would have put the time and money into doing it correctly.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^i'd say most of the rides...even Pooh and Buzz could have been fun...its the fact they cloned attractions and did nothing to enhance them.....if Buzz was more fast paced (and easier to tell if your hitting something or not) then it could have been a great ride for me like Toy Story....now I just avoid it, just no fun for me

If Pooh was as grand as Honey hunt (did not need to be trackless) just more money and time put into it...it could be pretty polar like Peter Pan

Fact is Disney cheaped out on many things from 1998-2005..and now they are fixing them...another reason I hate when Disney calms we should pay for Construction when it could have been avoided if done right the first time

• ...my first visit to DL

I DO remember the old subs, I rode them dozens and dozens of times. It tried to be captivating with the narration and all, but a lot of the stuff looked fake.

People want to remember the old subs like some sort of grown-up submersible Star Tours ride, but you could see how they used air pumped in hoses to move the stuff. The sea monster looked like he was high on pot.

This is how I remember those precious subs (and creepy narration) everybody seems to love:

"Roaming the sea bottom in search of food are the groupers or giant sea bass."

Uh—no, those are plastic fish. Glad though I was here to see the giant sea bass, can't get any good educational material about sea bass these days.

"Submarines can dive safely below the violence of surface storms."

Really? I didn't know that, thanks Mr. Wizard! Surface storms, gollie! I'm going to start calling them that back home!

"Other craft have not been so fortunate."

Look Mom! The Titanic! And a fancy necklace . . .

"A fortune in gold and jewels safely guarded by these man eating sharks and other silent sentinels of the deep."

Why don't we go back and get the treasure as we obviously aren't that far away from port, its like the "captain" doesn't care about earthly treasure, are we on a suicide mission?

"We've reached the polar ice caps sir."

"Take her deep."

"Aye-aye."

Good thing the captain said to take her deep, though he really didn't specify. Shouldn't he be "captaining" the ship or whatever? Wait a minute, polar ice caps, my travel agent didn't mention this . . .

"Mermaids!?! I don't believe it—"

Mom, is the captain taking LSD again? How can we see mermaids when we just entered the black zone under the polar ice cap.

"Ah—Mr. Baxter check the air pressure."

And check to make sure the captain isn't into the nitrous oxide again.

"Mermaids and sunken treasure, something's causing these hallucinations."

Yeah, that would be the acid you dropped. Or maybe you just want us to forget that we saw the sunken treasure, you didn't seem to think you were high then, just went on and on about how the man eating sharks meant we couldn't participate in the "salvage" operation.

"These classic ruins could very well be the lost continent of Atlantis."

Mom, the captain is tripping again.
    While some of the dialog and effects might have been dated, the attraction could have been refurbished and re-imagined some other way than with Nemo. I don't know that everyone is longing for the old version of the attraction to be back - I think it's more a comparison of the intent of the original ride and how it's been ignored with the new incarnation.

So they tear out the Submarines - the obvious question to me is what happens to the Monorail?

• Dave

Blog Entries

My gut tells me the subs are not going but will be upgrades and improved. I imagine that will be done for the 60th, along with either a new ride in Fronterland or something in TL (My bet is a new 3d feature in place of Captain EO).
    Dave

I like the Nemo subs! I found the old sub marine voyage quite scarey but I endured it because I liked seeing the sea serpent at the end and the colorful fish at the beginning. I thought Nemo ride at Epcot was crappy because it was just a little buggy going past windows. The end with the dolphins was cool but seemed out of place since I don't remember any dolphins in the movie. The nemo subs are so much better because you actually are underwater with the characters in the movie. It's much more immersive ! I also think the underwater projection effects look really good and I find it innovative and beautiful. The only thing I think I would improve is that I remember during the initial lap around the lagoon the colors used to be brighter and there was more flowing kelp. It was so pretty but now it seems a little less full of life or something.

Quote Originally Posted by flickor View Post
    I would like to think as fans of Disney we have high expectations and it's not over analyzing.

We all know the potential of the Finding Nemo ride and we want to see it, the current version is a little uninspired but that does not mean it cannot be fixed.
    That's the thing, the ride is EXTREMELY fixable. They whole inside portion of the caverns is BEHIND GLASS. They could easily get rid of the ALREADY outdated technology they're using, and put in some real animatronics.

Come to think of it, a lot of people are talking about the Omnimover system at WDW. It's a shame they couldn't make the Mermaid ride "NEMO ON OMNIMOVERS!!!" and relocate all the Little Mermaid animatronics into the caverns.

The whole situation is just super frustrating to think about. Thanks to the technology they decided to go for in this ride, it seems incredibly half assed. That, and I can pretty much pop the DVD in home and get the full experience, sans actually being on the subs...

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The thing that all of this criticism misses is that Nemo is something that little kids will enjoy as well, it is a family attraction now. Little kids love seeing Nemo and his buddies. Technically, the ride should be part of Fantasyland.
    No, they turned what was once a beloved family attraction that all ages could enjoy into an under water kiddie ride. This would be akin to Disney closing Pirates of the Caribbean and turning it into a poorly designed children's cartoon attraction using the same ride system. Your definition of what constitutes a family attraction is a complete 180 from what Walt Disney believed in and is a prime example of the erosion taking place within the park as management responds to the public which now wrongly believes the phrase "family entertainment" means designed for children.

At the time, I was 12 years old when the Subs closed and it was one of my favorites, so this idea that it was an adult only attraction is silly. This notion that we have to coddle our young ones and talk down to them in a childish way is precisely the exact opposite strategy that made Disneyland the legendary success it is today.

---------- Post added 07-20-2012 at 04:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    To be fair, Rocket Rods was a pretty fun ride. I just wish they would have put the time and money into doing it correctly.
    I concur, the one original idea they had in TL 98 was great but didn't take it far enough because of shortsightedness. The attraction queue was constantly at 70 minutes, so popularity was not an issue.

---------- Post added 07-20-2012 at 05:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenchanter View Post
    I found the old sub marine voyage quite scarey
    So is Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice, Mr. Toad, Roger Rabbit, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Splash Mountain, you know.... the most popular attractions in the park, and the ones that kids want to ride over and over again.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-20-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast