Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 117
  1. #91

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Mermaid was built from the ground up...yeah they have what 3 screens? But the ride is more about riding the movie...the watching it

    Look at Pirates it's not just the tech that makes the ride...it's everything about it...it's just amazing because of how real things feel.....the town is not computer generated its a REAL little town.

    I think the Subs should stay for now...but if they go...I'll just miss the old ones not these one and if it happens it will prove that it was poplar but not a classic because it was gone in less then ten years
    Of course, Pirates is a great ride, the details are pretty amazing, not so much individually, but because they built so many scenes and you see something new each time you ride it. One of the few rides besides HM and HMH that I would instantly ride again if there was a five minute wait.

    Mermaid utilizes screens, as in a television/monitor with rocks built around it. This is kind of interactive museum-ish, not the level of an E-Ticket, or even a Disney attraction, and not at all the same as the Projection Tech used in Nemo!


    Nemo uses projections where the only "fake" thing is the character, the background is real. Not so with Mermaid as you instantly accept the screens as being screens. When I first rode Nemo it was pretty cool, like these little fish characters were swimming around real corral and stuff. Nemo's projections (not just plastering rock around an LED/LCD monitor) takes a lot more creativity and work, and produces a much better effect.

    I feel bad for folks who can't experience the old Subs ride, I feel your pain as I really miss Country Bears Jamboree, which only got a couple updates and was run in one theatre at the end, making wait times jump from 15 to 30 minutes at max, or something like that.

    But the Nemo subs are still popular and guests are waiting for them like they'd never wait for Country Bears. And unlike Country Bears, the characters are still wildly popular, and with Nemo 2 coming out . . . spending money to keep the Subs open is almost free advertising considering the promotion for Nemo 2 will probably be $200 million . . . the cost of two Mermaids, easy, maybe three.

    I can't see the Subs leaving until Nemo 2 DVD and merchandise has been forgotten and is off shelves, probably three or fours years after Nemo 2 comes out, that would be in . . . 2020, meaning that the subs are good for at least a 13 year time span, probably a lot longer. PLUS, Disney doesn't need to make the mistake of Country Bears, they can add new stuff to Nemo (like new characters from 2), thus extending the shelf life of the ride to at least 2025 if they add new characters/scenes post Nemo 2 in 2018, another seven years . . .
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.

  2. #92

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,929
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Of course, Pirates is a great ride, the details are pretty amazing, not so much individually, but because they built so many scenes and you see something new each time you ride it. One of the few rides besides HM and HMH that I would instantly ride again if there was a five minute wait.

    Mermaid utilizes screens, as in a television/monitor with rocks built around it. This is kind of interactive museum-ish, not the level of an E-Ticket, or even a Disney attraction, and not at all the same as the Projection Tech used in Nemo!


    Nemo uses projections where the only "fake" thing is the character, the background is real. Not so with Mermaid as you instantly accept the screens as being screens. When I first rode Nemo it was pretty cool, like these little fish characters were swimming around real corral and stuff. Nemo's projections (not just plastering rock around an LED/LCD monitor) takes a lot more creativity and work, and produces a much better effect.

    I feel bad for folks who can't experience the old Subs ride, I feel your pain as I really miss Country Bears Jamboree, which only got a couple updates and was run in one theatre at the end, making wait times jump from 15 to 30 minutes at max, or something like that.

    But the Nemo subs are still popular and guests are waiting for them like they'd never wait for Country Bears. And unlike Country Bears, the characters are still wildly popular, and with Nemo 2 coming out . . . spending money to keep the Subs open is almost free advertising considering the promotion for Nemo 2 will probably be $200 million . . . the cost of two Mermaids, easy, maybe three.

    I can't see the Subs leaving until Nemo 2 DVD and merchandise has been forgotten and is off shelves, probably three or fours years after Nemo 2 comes out, that would be in . . . 2020, meaning that the subs are good for at least a 13 year time span, probably a lot longer. PLUS, Disney doesn't need to make the mistake of Country Bears, they can add new stuff to Nemo (like new characters from 2), thus extending the shelf life of the ride to at least 2025 if they add new characters/scenes post Nemo 2 in 2018, another seven years . . .
    And Pirates now used a mist screen? Does that really take away from the attraction that much?

    First off there has been nothing official about Nemo 2....second it's because of costs of the ride it will shut down and unless the ride was getting 2 hour wait times every day it is not going to stay up

    Mermaid is told with 95% physical sets Nemo is told more like 75% sets and 25% "screens"

    You can like the tech that's fine it's cool...just most of us don't like rewatching the Nemo movie...heck it's not as good as the movie....why? Because it's not the movie...and Disney rides many times still work because of the MUSIC the classic songs we all love

    Pixar Films work very well as movies less as attraction because for most of us the souls are taken out and made into a ride for money less then this is a good way to tell the story. You can like it, many people do...but don't say it "has" to stay up until 2020 because you don't know that

  3. #93

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

    First off there has been nothing official about Nemo 2....second it's because of costs of the ride it will shut down and unless the ride was getting 2 hour wait times every day it is not going to stay up

    Mermaid is told with 95% physical sets Nemo is told more like 75% sets and 25% "screens"

    You can like the tech that's fine it's cool...just most of us don't like rewatching the Nemo movie...heck it's not as good as the movie....why? Because it's not the movie...and Disney rides many times still work because of the MUSIC the classic songs we all love

    Pixar Films work very well as movies less as attraction because for most of us the souls are taken out and made into a ride for money less then this is a good way to tell the story. You can like it, many people do...but don't say it "has" to stay up until 2020 because you don't know that


    We all have read the articles about Andrew Stanton doing Nemo 2, its not a rumor, Stanton was greenlit to do it and he has talked about it. I guess officially there is no trailer, but this fact is not disputed.

    It takes about 4 years to make the film, so in 2016/7 we'll have Finding Nemo 2 in theaters. Pixar films are pretty memorable and hang around in the parks for years after they've been in theatres, look at Toy Story and Buzz Lightyear and Bug's Life (which sure won't get a sequel). I can't see Disney taking out Nemo before 2020 at all for this reason. Plus Nemo 3-D will be coming out, the ride won't go anywhere in the interim. The ride doesn't need to get two hour lines to stay in business, if that was the bar then most of the rides in Disneyland and DCA would be shutdown.

    I say it again, I like the Nemo Subs, I can related to the characters and enjoy pretending I'm on a voyage with them. The average out of town park guest these days probably doesn't have as high a feeling of nostalgia for the old subs, and truth be told, probably has just as fun of a time on the Nemo subs, plus their kids get to bask in the glow of Nemo and his friends.

    If you've been to major aquariums around the country, as I have for some strange reason, you'll see that a lot of the aquariums put in clown fish (Nemo) and Dory's species together as everybody still remembers Nemo and likes . . . perhaps loves, the characters. I watched outside one tank for a bit and was surprised to see that a lot of kids still shout Nemo! in 2012 when they see the clown fish and the Dory fish swimming together.

    I respect Al Lutz, he does a great job and I like Miceage, heck I remember back in the days when they had the alt.disney.disneyland stuff and the meet up at the Goofy statue. But Al passed on a tidbit of information, albeit a rumor, that Subs might be going.

    A couple weeks later, Surprise! Nemo 2 is coming to theaters!

    Huh?

    I saw Brave in theaters, it was great, but Finding Nemo 2 would be so, so, so much better as the ocean looks great when given the CGI treatment, plus Nemo and pals are cool characters. It will be the most eagerly anticipated CGI film I have ever seen. Can't wait for Nemo 3-D to hit the silver screen, maybe in the following weeks Nemo Subs at DL will hit 2 hours.

    Here are some reaons why maybe a one in a billion chance Nemo 2 won't be made:

    1. Disney doesn't want to make bucket loads of money.
    2. John Lasetter and Stanton want to torture us with the rumor of a Nemo sequel for forever.
    3. Disney sells the rights to Nemo to DreamWorks for $3.5 Billion.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-30-2012 at 09:37 PM.

  4. #94

    • Parking Lot > DCA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    4,104

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    First off there has been nothing official about Nemo 2....
    'Finding Nemo 2': Andrew Stanton Will Direct Pixar Sequel

    'Finding Nemo 2' finds its director - CBS News

  5. #95

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,929
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    ^yeah there were rumors of Nemo two months ago...and most people thought they were false because of how Pixar "used" to hate making sequels

    We will see what will happen but unless they redo the ride, the rumors of the high cost of the subs vs putting in 3-5 rides in that area making a new Fantasyland and Tomorrowland sublands

    Not like Nemo is not represented in the parks its in a parade, a interactive show and WOC

  6. #96

    • Doombuggy Rider
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    SIN CITY
    Posts
    213

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If Buzz was based on the actual space ranger rather than the toy, it would have fit much better.

    However, while the the subs are now basically just a babysitter for kids to watch a video that they can put in their DVD players and watch at home whenever they want, the idea behind the ride is still very futuristic and well suited to Tomorrowland. True submarines do exist in today's world, but the idea of the average tourist jumping on a nuclear powered submarine for a casual day of tourism under the depths of the ocean is not here yet. The days when it will be affordable to the general public is even further away. Therefore, the subs kiddie video and all still does represent a "future vision of tomorrow".

    I still don't think that moving something from an area where it is deemed to be out of theme to another area where it is equally out of theme would make much sense.

    Yes, Nemo and Buzz are Disney*Pixar, but I feel that just because there are other properties like that in the park does not mean that they fit. Additionally, because Monsters Inc and Bugs Land may not fit in with the CA theme (although the bugs were loosely tied in with the farm area when the park opened and expanded to Bugs Land) it is no excuse for additional out of theme attractions. Lately, with the new additions to the park, it looks like Disney is trying to keep with the CA theme and correct past mistakes. Whether they follow the current trend or not remains to be seen, but since they are taking steps in the right direction, I feel moving things for the sake of moving them regardless of theme would be a step backward.

    Calsig31 - you've made some valid points ...

    While I did enjoy Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters with my Nephews (it does a good job as a 3rd-generation Omnimover System combining a dark ride / shooting gallery); it felt more like a Fantasyland Ride then a Tomorrowland Ride .... if the Ride were more like Mission To Mars? I would've accepted it (heck, I would've accepted a PeopleMover experience where you're sent through a Building featuring Buzz Lightyear in Outerspace) ...

    We all enjoyed the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, however it didn't generate the buzz for a repeat line up to ride again (& when I was there age? I wanted to ride the classic Submarine Voyage again & again). I'll admit that the technology that Imagineers brought to Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (not to mention all the work that took place from draining the lagoon to refilling it with water) is a state-of-the-art journey through Liquid Space..... yet it doesn't feel like a Tomorrowland Ride, it feels more like a Fantasyland Ride (how one would change the Submarine Voyage to reflect a more "future & scientific exploration" is up for debate amongst my fellow Disneyland Fans) ...

    I'm probably one of the few who thinks A Bugs Land is the worst section of DCA (its nothing but a parking lot for strollers, in my opinion). I took the Nephews there & they were bored in 10 minutes (I couldn't blame them, but I imagined "what if" Buzz Lightyear & Nemo were brought to the area? What if they were combined with the experiences on Monsters Inc. & It's Tough To Be Bug 3-D Theater experience? Yes, now this sounds like a cohesive - just rename DCA something else like Disney Adventures!) ....

    So, a different Submarine Voyage, bring back the PeopleMover, bring in a new Attraction (or Ride) similar to Mission To Mars - or Adventure Through Inner Space, create a TRON experience (taking over Innoventions Building). Now I feel like I'll have an improved Tomorrowland ...



    C J




    I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

    http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

    http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

  7. #97

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,344

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkamor View Post
    I'm probably one of the few who thinks A Bugs Land is the worst section of DCA...
    I think there are quite a few people, myself included, who were underwhelmed with this section of DCA. It seemed like it was just a shotgun reaction to "There aren't enough things for kids in this park!" So they put some kiddie rides in, just like they put in off the shelf rides like the Maliboomer and Mulholland Madness. Very little originality, and of no interest except for the smallest of park stormers. Not at all up to Disney standards.

  8. #98

    • Parking Lot > DCA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    4,104

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^yeah there were rumors of Nemo two months ago...and most people thought they were false because of how Pixar "used" to hate making sequels
    Both of those articles I posted were from this month, and are two very reliable sources. You said there has been nothing official out yet, I was just showing you that the articles are stating it's much more than a rumor at this point.

  9. #99

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,929
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Both of those articles I posted were from this month, and are two very reliable sources. You said there has been nothing official ouhttp://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/171072-finding-nemo-2-announced-subs-safe-2.html#post1056814428t yet, I was just showing you that the articles are stating it's much more than a rumor at this point.
    No no I was saying there "were" rumors and it seems to be 100% now...still sad news....my once favorite studio has ran out of idea's

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I think there are quite a few people, myself included, who were underwhelmed with this section of DCA. It seemed like it was just a shotgun reaction to "There aren't enough things for kids in this park!" So they put some kiddie rides in, just like they put in off the shelf rides like the Maliboomer and Mulholland Madness. Very little originality, and of no interest except for the smallest of park stormers. Not at all up to Disney standards.
    Ohhh no your not alone many people on this site can't wait for Bugsland to go away one day for a new subland or ride

  10. #100

    • Parking Lot > DCA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    4,104

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    No no I was saying there "were" rumors and it seems to be 100% now...still sad news....my once favorite studio has ran out of idea's
    I would hardly say they've "run out of ideas." Just like they are coming out with a sequel and prequel to two beloved Pixar films, they are also coming out two totally original films as well.

    If you want to talk about "running out of ideas" - scope Hollywood's list of never ending reboots and unoriginal ideas. Can you say, Munster's reboot?

  11. #101

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I would hardly say they've "run out of ideas." Just like they are coming out with a sequel and prequel to two beloved Pixar films, they are also coming out two totally original films as well.

    If you want to talk about "running out of ideas" - scope Hollywood's list of never ending reboots and unoriginal ideas. Can you say, Munster's reboot?
    I'm surprised they didn't do Nemo 2 earlier, given it is Pixar #1 film when you consider adjusted box office. I thought Nemo was a great film, though I like Ratatouille better and would like a sequel for that film as well.

    I don't think that Pixar is running out of film ideas, but that some of the directors like their characters, and would like to go back and explore more of their world.

  12. #102

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,344

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    I'm not so sure it's the Pixar directors as much as it is the Disney way to milk a product as far as it can be milked. Of course, John Lasseter loved going back to the Cars well. But overall, I'd bet Pixar would much rather move on to new things than rehash old projects.

  13. #103

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm not so sure it's the Pixar directors as much as it is the Disney way to milk a product as far as it can be milked. Of course, John Lasseter loved going back to the Cars well. But overall, I'd bet Pixar would much rather move on to new things than rehash old projects.
    Actually, Pixar is a "director driven" studio, meaning that for example, Andrew Stanton has the final word on a Nemo remake, and if, and only if, there is a good story then he will make the sequel.

    Everybody thought that an Incredible sequel would happen, but Brad Bird of course has his plate full for the time being. Hence, even though it would make Disney a ton of money, no Incredibles sequel. Bird has had ideas for an Incredibles sequel.

    Before Disney bought Pixar, Disney was going to go ahead and make a Nemo and Incredibles sequel. I'm glad Pixar waited on Nemo 2 until they were comfortable with doing it and ideas about a script percolated for a longer time.

    The deal with Disney was that Pixar stays Pixar in terms of the creative side of things, and this has happened.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-01-2012 at 10:17 AM.

  14. #104

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,929
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    ^Does not mean the intentions are "pure" look at Cars 2...and even Toy Story 2 (this was a film Disney MADE them make)

    Nemo to me worked well as one movies...others like Increadables people wanted to see more because we wanted to see what happened next to the super hero's. Nemo all challenges were faced and they overcame them..end of story

  15. #105

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: With Finding Nemo 2 announced, Are the Subs safe?

    Nemo 2 could definitely be a great film as you've got the possibility of the introduction of new characters, and a brand new plot line.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage & The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Adventure?
    By ChessurInWonderland in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 04:53 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
  3. How are the Subs NOT futuristic?
    By wave789 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 04:04 PM
  4. Are the Subs having a sneak previewe today?
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •