Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• far, far away from DL

Re: Disneyland Float-Pictures!!

Thanks for the pictures. I watched the parade on TV and missed the float. My son wanted popcorn at that time. I tried to watch it on replays but missed it there too. I think they did a beautiful job on the float. Too bad it rained.

Sabrina

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Thanks for these pictures - theyre fantastic.

DisneylandNews.com has posted some photos of the float... beware- theyre HUGE HUGE hi-res photos.

http://www.disneylandnews.com/images...DL_%206731.jpg

http://www.disneylandnews.com/images...DL_%206622.jpg

http://www.disneylandnews.com/images...tleI8R0122.jpg

http://www.disneylandnews.com/images...stle8R0132.jpg

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• The one, the only...

The float was just wonderful. With all the water on the float, it increases the weight and burns out transmissions. The framing could also break with all the extra weight.

I am glad it did so well. The fireworks from behind the DL castle were wonderful, if you did not get to see them.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Thanks for posting those! I didn't get a chance to catch it on TV, so now I know what it looked like!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    The float was just wonderful. With all the water on the float, it increases the weight and burns out transmissions. The framing could also break with all the extra weight.
    quite a few other floats were broken down and being towed as well. i don't know how much weight the dounpour added to the float, but i do know the float companies were concerned with the rain and the complicated electrical systems on the float that are responsible for the animation...it's sad, really, to see floats not moving the way they're meant to.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Great pictures !!! What happened to the characters that were walking along with it?? or was that just for TV?

I was talking to someone I know who owns a Tow trunk company and they also build them so he deals with many different towing companies. He was at the parade as a VIP (they didn't have to sit in the rain) Well the rain was giving the floats allot of problems cause the foam on them where soaking up the water. Some of them became very heavy and the engine couldn't take all the extra weight. I am a member of our city's rose float society and they had a breakfast this morning that I went to. The people who rode on the float for Torrance and the driver and navigator shared their stories of the parade. The driver talked about how heavy the rain made it and this was the first time he was concerned for their safety. Even with all of that everyone was real happy with the adventure and that they survived it. Didn't hurt that we won a trophy.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

I agree that the Disney float was the best float out there this year. Even at home, it was a magical moment for me once it was its turn to parade down Colorado Blvd. Does anyone know if the float is on display at Disneyland?

• Senior Minion

Thanks MissChristine for posting the pics. I was really curious about how the float turned out after I saw what the concept drawing from the Disney online Newsletter showed.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Barbie....now that makes sense! I'm used to working on the La Canada float (i've done so since 1999) and they rarely use foam. It's usually chicken wire and plexiglass stuff like that. I had forgotten that floats use a lot of foam...I remember working on the Balian Ice Cream float in '92 (my mom snuck a 2nd grader in, woot!) and I remember the foam...icky.

• Banned User

great images and information,

do you have any iomages of the characters that were on the ground probably following the float at that point... mainly jasmine..

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

i think they pulled the walking characters our of the parade oncey they got past TV corner. There was NOBODY walking around the float, just the characters on the float.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I really, really want one of those bubble jacket vests that the Cast Members were wearing!! Especially the white ones the singers had on! I must plan and scheme how to get one.... (rubbing hands together)

• HollywoodsNewestSensation

Exclamation Re: Disneyland Float-Pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    i think they pulled the walking characters our of the parade oncey they got past TV corner. There was NOBODY walking around the float, just the characters on the float.
    You're right. The other characters were only there for the show moment on TV, kinda like how all the dancers and extra characters last year only did the opening number and then left. After all, who's going to ring the bells if Quasimodo's out bopping around the Rose Parade for hours?

What ended up making it weird, though, was that they had to cut everything because of the rain (including their really cool banner choreography) and the float kept moving. Too bad...
    Last edited by TweedlDum9; 01-04-2006 at 10:57 AM.

• HollywoodsNewestSensation

Oh yeah, I almost forgot!

Did any of you catch Bob Eubanks' ridiculous commentary when the float passed?

Tech info for DL float

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    The float had four brand new V8 engines. Two were in the front segment and two in the third and last segment. Both segments were driven by hydraulic fluid and hydrostatic motors. The middle segment floated like a push-me, pull-you trailer between the front and rear. The second motors drive hydraulics to move the castle spires down so the float can pass under the freeway at the end of the parade. The drivers felt that the float would be pulled by the front segment the entire way.

I don't know exactly why the float stopped. I know that there were very large hydraulic leaks in testing on 12/23.

The float was built in Azusa by Festival Artists and transported over night to pasadena. It took 7 hours to drive 15 miles.

The places were the floats are built are called "barns" in T of R lingo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast