• Minion

Helium shortage? Disneyland ballons thoughts

Idk which section this belongs in but I guess it affects every theme park, the helium shortage which I just heard about because we tried to order balloons for next week but got turned away any way, do you guys think disney well keep the balloons or get rid of them maybe raise the price. If you dont know what I'm talking about search google for more info and mods feel free to move this thread as needed. I'm just wondering what's everyone's point of view on this subject and I can't imagine Disneyland without the classic Mickey ballons

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Banned User

Re: Helium shortage? Disneyland ballons thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    I'm just wondering what's everyone's point of view on this subject and I can't imagine Disneyland without the classic Mickey ballons
    We don't really buy the balloons when we go, though we used to decades ago. There is other special merchandise, like what about those "invisible" dog leashes they sold at HM?

They could also make fake balloons held up by rigid plastic "strings", or other special merchandise.

• Suspended

Idk which section this belongs in but I guess it affects every theme park, the helium shortage which I just heard about because we tried to order balloons for next week but got turned away any way, do you guys think disney well keep the balloons or get rid of them maybe raise the price. If you dont know what I'm talking about search google for more info and mods feel free to move this thread as needed. I'm just wondering what's everyone's point of view on this subject and I can't imagine Disneyland without the classic Mickey ballons
    Wow! I cannot believe this is still going on and it is affecting the whole country. Last month we we're turned away from buying balloons all the way on the east coasts because "the military needed helium." I did not know it was such an important issue.

• Lion

Time to start making trips to the sun to bring back helium.

I've been wondering about this for a while now. I don't think the shortage is going to be fixed any time soon, and Disneyland just wouldn't be the same without the balloons walking up and down main street!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Balloons...100 dollars...sorry they're rare now

• Still Dizzy

Helium is a finite resource on earth. Once we run out, we run out. It's used it so very many important industries and in science that I think that all helium use for ballons and parties etc should be ended immediately.

We can survive without a Mickey ballon, science will have some real issues if we run out.

Here's just a few vital things that helium is used for.

Nasa/space shuttles
    MRI's
    Thermal cameras necessary for search and rescue
    Detecting gas leaks in certain industries
    Superconducting Magnets used in particle physics
    Cooling for nuclear reactors

The list keeps going. These are all MUCH more important things than a balloon. The practice at Disney and all theme parks should be ended now.

Great point Juni-

Complaining about not having a balloon is the last thing people should worry about. Although I bet City Hall still has to deal with mad guests. I think it's fine if they don't have balloons, there's a million other things you can buy!

Maybe I just don't get it since my parents never wasted money on a giant balloon to carry around all day. Sit back and re-read this thread... with all the things going on in the world today, people are honestly sad about not having a balloon? I wish that was the biggest worry in my life.

-Wes

• Future HTH Bellhop.

I, too, was wondering about this. The helium shortage has affected my business and made me raise prices. However, there is some helium. Disney most likely has tons of suppliers, or a supplier that puts Disney on its priority list. (I have to drive to L.A. at 5am to fill up one or two tanks.)

Disney probably won't stop selling balloons, they'll probably raise the price accordingly.

Helium is a natural gas, but can only be retrieved from the Earth's mantle, usually is collected at petroleum drills. Believe it or not, helium can be manufactured on Earth. Funny thing is is the fact that there's a whole lot of it in our solar system... except here on Earth.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Why don't they just fill the balloons with hydrogen? They can call them "Hinden-Mickeys" and during the fireworks show they can have a special "Explode with the Show" segment were guests release their hydrogen balloons which are then made to explode by flame throwers mounted on top of Main Street and around the hub.

• Minion

I agree they could put normal ballons on plastic sticks fill the ballons with normal air, how long do u guys believe that Disney will start to pull back the ballons I'm just curious about what's everyone's thoughts I know theirs ore important issues but just wondering I don't really care for the ballons ethier but just curious.

It's a music Celebration
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Why don't they just fill the balloons with hydrogen? They can call them "Hinden-Mickeys" and during the fireworks show they can have a special "Explode with the Show" segment were guests release their hydrogen balloons which are then made to explode by flame throwers mounted on top of Main Street and around the hub.
    Congratulations, you just made my day!
    Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.

• Shubisha

We just need to put a nice big collecting bag in low orbit to catch it whenever it escapes the atmosphere!

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I don't think I've laughed that hard in a week. Thank you!
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"