Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Should Disney allow Segways for the disabled?

Segwas are much too fast for the high traffic and quite frankly very narrow pathways of the park

Not enough room to be opperated safely
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Banned User

Here's a video of Segway crashes from YouTube, if this happened in Disneyland . . . around small children, somebody could get killed.

90 Seconds of Segway Crashes - YouTube

I think Disney has a right to offer only the use of their ECVs to guests, as they control the speed and braking and such. Same thing with traditional Segways, these are inappropriate for theme park use. Anybody, disable or not, could have a very bad accident and hurt guests, sorry, I go with protecting children first and foremost.

Maybe Disney could modify a Segway to go very, very slowly, but you still have more accident potential than with ECVs. There might be some disable persons for whom a standing position is more comfortable than a sitting position, (it is probably healthier too), so I think maybe allow heavily modified Segways which are less prone to tip over and which go very, very slowly, same speed as an ECVs, perhaps slower.

At Epcot in WDW I saw several employees using Segways. But the paths there are much wider, and overall the crowding is less because it's so big. I can't imagine a Segway being safe at Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Here's a video of Segway crashes from YouTube, if this happened in Disneyland . . . around small children, somebody could get killed.

90 Seconds of Segway Crashes - YouTube

I like how the chimpanzee was practically the only one who had enough sense to jump off before crashing.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    I can't imagine a Segway being safe at Disneyland.
    For one thing, the windows on main street are eye-level for kids, Walt specifically made them this way, and folks in ECVs can see inside the shops easier too. People on Segways would be at risk for crashing through the windows, falling as they navigate over the curbs, and Main Street, for starters, would need to be modified to be Segway safe, horizontal bars over the windows, no children under ten which could be seriously injured . . . Disneyland wasn't meant to be an obstacle course for Segways.

I think that some dot.com millionaire died when he drove a Segway off a cliff in Italy. Even adults who have experience with them have trouble controlling them at all times.

Also, the employees in Epcot will get fired if they do something unsafe on the Segways, guests often get entitled when visiting Disneyland and some on Segways might get overly aggressive on them which would cause accidents. Would Segway riding guests be allowed to enter shops on Main Street? Talk about having a bull in a china store!

• Halloween 2011

I see a lot of problems with this.

From what I recall, Disney's Segways were modified so they could not go beyond a certain speed, even though Segways are capable of going faster.

Disney currently permits personal wheelchairs, ECVs (and strollers) and cannot inquire as to a guest's need when they rent one. Rented Disney Segways could be speed-modified, but what happens when a group of "disabled" people arrive with their personal Segways capable of doing top speeds? They may actually need the transport, but Disney cannot request any proof. And a bunch of speeding personal Segways around the park sounds like personal injury lawsuits waiting to happen.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I had no idea Segways were used by disabled people in lieu of wheelchairs.
    I work at a high school in special ed. We have a teacher on campus who, because of a traffic accident years ago (I believe) has mobility issues. He has braces on his legs, and can't walk long distances easily. He is also one of the PE teachers and a coach.

Because of his disability, he uses a segway to get around campus. We have a pretty good size campus, and we have wide walkways between buildings.

And yet... he has still almost run me over more than once on that darn thing. So I seriously would hate to see what would happen on Main Street or heaven forbid... Adventureland on a packed day with a bunch of those things wizzing around. At least the ECV's or whatever they are are low to the ground and basically a lot slower than a segway.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I have no opinion really, but I don't see a lot... any segways anywhere except for guided tours... how big of an issue will this really be? I feel like there are not a ton of commercial segways out there, are there?

• Minion

Disneyland ECVs are limited to about 3.5 mph. Off site ECVs are about 5mph. Segways speed is up to 12.5mph.

My opinion - They will be a danger to others in the park.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Here's an idea. How's about instead of Segways, Disney just brings back the People Mover!

• Chief Troublemaker

In reading the opinion (thank you for the link Brenden) I see the word 'settlements' mentioned more than once (no dollar amount). I think this woman's lawsuit is more about money than mobility! It would be interesting to see the previous decisions pertaining to this lawsuit.

In the article linked in Calsig's original post there is a comment from someone who apparently has his own Segway & is a frequent Disneyland visitor; he's pretty clear that in his opinion Segway's are NOT suitable for the park.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

So this woman has a condition that makes it difficult to rise from a seated position.Is she planning on standing up on all the rides? I`d like to see this on Splash Mountain

• Minion

An evc would do everything a segway would be needed for a disability this is just senseless
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Disney already settled one lawsuit of this type and as part of the lawsuit Disney was to develop and make available their own form of ECV you can stand on, instead of a segway.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I've ridden a Segway, though granted not very often and not for long. I found it not terribly difficult to control, but without a lot of fine precision. I think they would be dangerous in the crowds that one finds at Disneyland.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast