Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

Re: Should Disney allow Segways for the disabled?

No, this is ridiculous. If you want to get around the park without physical effort or are incapable for whatever reason then a wheel chair or ECV is plenty good. If the trouble is being seated, then what do you do on the rides? As others have mentioned this would be dangerous. Also they can't require proof of a disability, so I see this being abused and a huge amount of people choosing to use a Segway. Because unlike a boring Wheelchair thing Segways are fun.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Tour Ready

No Segways, No ECVs, only manual wheelchairs should be allowed for the safety of ALL guests!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Goodbye Main Street awnings...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Disney already settled one lawsuit of this type and as part of the lawsuit Disney was to develop and make available their own form of ECV you can stand on, instead of a segway.
    Actually, this is the same suit. Initially, they were to look into making their own, then the court dismissed the suit so they didn't have to. Now, the 9th court of appeals is reversing that and they are going back to "looking into it."
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Chief Troublemaker

OK, so my understanding of the Disney World lawsuit decision (from what I could find) is that it was dismissed & remanded on 12/14/10. To me, remanded means that it was sent back to the lower court for another review and decision. At least, that was what remanded meant in my former career (not a lawyer, but dealt with Federal level admin hearings). I can't find what happened to the remand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still pending, unless all agreed to drop it. The DL suit legal opinion is that, according to the deciding court, Segways are a 'valid' mobility device, BUT that Disney has the right to determine if they are a safe &/or practical mode of transportation for the Parks given the crowds and hardscape (sidewalks, curbs, etc) of the Parks.

They are 2 separate lawsuits (Ault v. Walt Disney World Co., 07-01785, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida (Orlando)) and (TINA BAUGHMAN, Plaintiff - Appellant,v. WALT DISNEY WORLD COMPANY Defendant - Appellee., No. 10-55792. D.C. No. 8:07-cv-01108-CJC- MLG, 9th judicial district, Calif) that just happen to be about the same thing.

Wonder if there's a lawyer here on the boards who knows and could enlighten us? Even though I've retired, I still find the judicial process fascinating.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I've been going to Disney for many years, I've been narrowly run over by strollers (my foot run over two times, one time sending me to the first aid station as I was wearing sandals) and I've luckly been able to avoid wheel chairs, however I have seen peoples heals gotten run into, and I have seen people have feet run over by those wheels and that scares me already.

To have to dodge and avoid segway's I would be very afraid that my foot would get run over if I didn't get out of the way quickly enough, I see this as a lawsuit waiting to happen if Disney were to allow them within the park.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post

I think that some dot.com millionaire died when he drove a Segway off a cliff in Italy. Even adults who have experience with them have trouble controlling them at all times.
    HA! It wasn't just some dot.com millionaire that died, it was the Segway company owner! Now, if HE can't control a segway, how can an average Joe?

A
    rticle here

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Also they can't require proof of a disability, so I see this being abused and a huge amount of people choosing to use a Segway. Because unlike a boring Wheelchair thing Segways are fun.
    This is my concern as well. A non-Disney ECV is not too much faster than the speed limited ones Disney offers for rent. The Segway was created as a general transportation device, not a medical device.

• -

No, this is ridiculous. If you want to get around the park without physical effort or are incapable for whatever reason then a wheel chair or ECV is plenty good.
    Unless one has a problem where sitting for long periods of time is incredibly painful.
    If the trouble is being seated, then what do you do on the rides?
    Some people may be able to tolerate sitting for short periods of time, like sitting on a ride, but longer periods, like huffing it around Disneyland all day is excruciating.
    As others have mentioned this would be dangerous.
    Unless Disney limits the speed at which their Segways travel and only allows in private ones that have been so limited.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Hukuna Matata!

Should be less painful getting hit by one then those scooters.

I think it's quite easy to lose control on one of those, especially with the curbs. They also go pretty fast.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

I'm less concerned about the speed. I tried it before at Disneyland's Innoventions.

It is hard to balance on it and make it go forward, backward, and turn. You need a lot of space to do anything. I would especially be untrustworthy of these handicapped people who might have other medical issues like poor body strength, medications, weight issues, etc.

I hope Disney wins in this case. I'm willing to accept a compromise. Allow a vehicle where the person can stand up.

• Chief Troublemaker

To me, speed is only a small part of the equation, a rental can be controlled by a governor and security personnel could monitor & issue warnings or remove someone from the park for 'speeding' or 'unsafe operation' on their own or a rental Seqway. The bigger problem is turn ratio and stopping distance. Powered ECVs that I used in grocery stores (when my ankle was immobilized) could pretty much turn on a dime and were able to stop pretty much instantaneously. Segways, from what I've seen on Youtube, take quite a bit of space to turn without tipping over, and also require significant (for a crowded place) 'braking distance', even at a slow speed. Those factors are, to me, something that can't be altered and still maintain the safe operation of the Segway. Plus how hard is it to balance on a stopped Segway while waiting for a party to cross in front of you? How easy is it for a person to be nudged or bumped on a Segway and accidentally topple over?

I just can't see this a being a safe mode of transport.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

I use an ECV in the park. I would like to leave a safe distance between me and the person in front of me, however, that safe distance is usually enough space that someone in a hurry views as "their space now." The few times I have bumped someone has been when they have stepped into that buffer zone, and traffic stops. Even an ECV doesn't stop immediately. Can you imagine trying to navigate Adventureland after Fantasmic! on a segway that takes 2 feet to stop, when people are knee to knee?? What about exiting the park after fireworks? How about down Royal Street anytime? Like I said, accident waiting to happen.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    They also go pretty fast.
    This has been addressed several times. The speed can be limited on the Disney rentals. The issue is more steering and stopping.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast