Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: Should Disney allow Segways for the disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Actually, this is the same suit. Initially, they were to look into making their own, then the court dismissed the suit so they didn't have to. Now, the 9th court of appeals is reversing that and they are going back to "looking into it."

Pretty soon, we're gonna see disabled guests rolling around on these.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Unless one has a problem where sitting for long periods of time is incredibly painful.
    Some people may be able to tolerate sitting for short periods of time, like sitting on a ride, but longer periods, like huffing it around Disneyland all day is excruciating. Unless Disney limits the speed at which their Segways travel and only allows in private ones that have been so limited.
    Ok, the only condition I found like one you describe includes pain sitting and standing for long periods of a time. "A person with a sitting disability caused by excessive pain, is unable to sit or stand for long periods of time, and will need to lie down." This means a Segway would not help. And again like some have mentioned the issue is not speed, it is maneuverability in crowds that makes Segways dangerous. Also since Disney can't require proof there would be a huge amount of able bodied people wanting to use a Segway instead of walking and that would cause a huge problem. So they would be harmful not helpful.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Pretty soon, we're gonna see disabled guests rolling around on these.

I take it this is a parade pic of the Incredibles on the job while riding there custumized "i Segways. Incredibly cool!!!

As for the thread question, the handicappd should absolutely have Segways available or them at tha park, or even an opportunity to bring their own.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This has been addressed several times. The speed can be limited on the Disney rentals. The issue is more steering and stopping.
    It has also been mentioned I believe that while Disney can clamp down the speed on the ones they rent, if someone wanted to bring in their own there is no way Disney could control the speed of that one. Disney could not force anyone to rent from them, any more than they can force someone to rent a wheelchair or an ECV from them. People who have a permanent disability often have their own equipment that they take with them. That could cause some serious issues.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Disney could not force anyone to rent from them, any more than they can force someone to rent a wheelchair or an ECV from them.
    While they can't force anyone to rent from them, they are able to not allow any private Segways in to their parks that are able to travel more than x miles/hour.

The "x" is, of course, the variable here. Depending on what their court ordered study shows. If it shows that Segways are safe enough from a turning and stopping standpoint but only at a certain speed, then they are well within their rights to refuse to allow private equipment capable of travel over that speed.

While ADA law is not my area of practice, I did have to research it quite heavily for an appellate brief that I wrote during law school. One of the key points to the ADA is reasonable accommodation. If a piece of equipment is dangerous to other park goers (as wil most likely be proven with this study) then being forced to accommodate by allowing a dangerous piece of equipment would be unreasonable and Disney would be well within their right to not allow it.

This leaves people a choice of either renting from Disney, puting a govenor on their own Segway, getting a new one that is not capable of going over the speed limit, or relying on other means like a wheelchair. Should someone bring a suit stating that this forces them to rent from Disney, Disney has the court ordered safety study and the ADA to stand on.

Of course, I believe that due to turning and stopping issues in crowds, the study will probably show that they are unsafe for park use all together. In that case Segway use at any speed would be unsafe making the allowance of a Segway dangerous to other park patrons and making it an unreasonable accommodation under the ADA. When this thing finally plays out, Disney will probably be able to keep the current rule that Segways are not allowed in the parks at all

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Ok, the only condition I found like one you describe includes pain sitting and standing for long periods of a time. "A person with a sitting disability caused by excessive pain, is unable to sit or stand for long periods of time, and will need to lie down." This means a Segway would not help.
    That may be for a documented condition, however there are injuries out there beyond diseases. Someone could have taken a fall of some kind, or been injured in some way where they are unable to sit. I'm not a doctor, and am not going to try to claim familiarity with every condition, I am just pointing out that it is not always cut and dry.
    Last edited by calsig31; 07-20-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I dont think they would be really safe??? It seems hard enough with wheelchairs and scooters that are already allowed in the parks. Then add in the strollers on a busy day and it takes some skill to get around that park!

Actually using segways in the park is a definate no no. This is a huge safty hazard as anyone standing on a segway is automatically significantly taller. Which means, right now, overhead obstructions are kept at a minimum height so no one hits their head on doors, signs, entryways. Adding 4-8 inches of height depending on segway model to a persons height if they were tall would pose an extreme risk and should not be allowed in the park.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by smarie82181 View Post
    I dont think they would be really safe??? It seems hard enough with wheelchairs and scooters that are already allowed in the parks. Then add in the strollers on a busy day and it takes some skill to get around that park!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Actually using segways in the park is a definate no no. This is a huge safty hazard as anyone standing on a segway is automatically significantly taller. Which means, right now, overhead obstructions are kept at a minimum height so no one hits their head on doors, signs, entryways. Adding 4-8 inches of height depending on segway model to a persons height if they were tall would pose an extreme risk and should not be allowed in the park.
    Which is why the court ordered a safety study be completed.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234