Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Crowds down, Disneyland pricing themselves out of the market?

So, with summer attendance as flat as last years, has the "Resort" priced themselves out of the market? Or will we not know until the blockouts are lifted? I personally think they have and believe the casual day visitor is the biggest hit on the attendance figures. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Disneymike; 07-20-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: Crowds down, Disneyland pricing themselves out of the market?

Keep in mind the crowds at the park are not locals mainly, they have been blocked out for some time now..

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

I know my friends, several of which love the parks and have had AP's, said they are not returning for quite awhile due to price. The families I know through work have begun visiting Universal or Knotts instead because of value.

---------- Post added 07-20-2012 at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    Keep in mind the crowds at the park are not locals mainly, they have been blocked out for some time now..
    Lower APs are blocked, not locals. Many locals visit the parks summer and Christmas and don't buy passes. These casual visitors are the drop we're seeing.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

•   
    • Minion

I think they're heading in that direction. In talking about Disneyland to friends and co-workers the most common thing I hear now is "it's too much money." I also know a number of people who have declined to renew their APs because of the price hike, and a few others who are only doing the Halloween party because they can't afford to come to the park otherwise.

Disneyland can set whatever prices it wants, but if the middle-income/working class population is priced out, it's not necessarily going to be replaced by higher income brackets. The higher income folks who want to come to Disneyland are already there.

If everybody here believes it is about price, then how does it explain how Universal Studios is $80 a day for considerably less offerings and Sea World is $73 for even lesser offerings, and yet people are willing to pay there?

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    If everybody here believes it is about price, then how does it explain how Universal Studios is $80 a day for considerably less offerings and Sea World is $73 for even lesser offerings, and yet people are willing to pay there?
    Because it's still cheaper than Disneyland? My guess is for Disneyland you almost have to buy a park hopper and at $125 the perception is that it is more expensive although you do get more.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Because it's still cheaper than Disneyland? My guess is for Disneyland you almost have to buy a park hopper and at $125 the perception is that it is more expensive although you do get more.
    This.

And also for locals it is relatively easy to find coupons for the other parks at a $15 or so discount. I can get discounts for DL through my work, but even at as much as $15 less (and I don't think it's even that much) it's still outrageously expensive.

• Minion

Notice those prices are cheaper than Disneyland's. And APs are seriously cheap at Universal when compared to Disneyland (I don't know about Sea World). Universal is a very fun park and they're coming up, especially with Transformers and soon to be Potter.

• Still Dizzy

Plus, if you are looking at the drop in "locals", Universal runs the buy a day get a year free promotion for most of the year. Sure I'm paying 80 bucks today, but then I get to go to universal whenever the heck I want for the rest of the year.

• Minion

Who has been at the park the last few weeks? I was there the first week of July, and my kids were there the first part of this week, and waits were still in the 60 mins range for the popular rides.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

I think cost does have a part in it but I also think the opening of Carsland also has scared away a few tourists. I know for me I can't wait to experience Carsland but I want to experience it not the crowds so I am choosing to let it settle in a little before I come back.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

LOL and disney is trying to price the APers out. We are disney's reliable, loyal, and consistent revenue stream. We've been there when the tourists don't come. We've been there when the park was at its worst. And now they want us out when the park is at its best? They want us out because they Think they can pull some those coveted tourists? Serves them right that they don't get their precious tourists they wanted.

Sort of like the teen movies where the loser becomes popular and ditches his old friends for the cool kids...only to find that the cool kids weren't there for him. Oh, like Mean Girls. Disney has become plastic...
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Banned User

Nope. They are not and will not price themselves out of the market. I give DLR more credit than that. I know some ppl want this to happen, but it will not.

People are paying more, and the crowds are a bit less (anyone have real numbers?) But in the end, they have an even better product than they did in summers past b/c the perception of this year's guests is that DLR is less of a crowded mess. This makes all the offereings (old and new) much more appealing.

It is hard to get the POV of the GP (Joe Blow Guest), b/c the GP do not come to these forums and report their feelings. Or at the very least, it is rare if they do come here. I am very curious to hear what the general concensus is regarding the value this season. We can kind of figure it out based on what Disney does in the very near future:
    lower the price w/ coupons and specials?
    raise the price again?
    flatline the prices?
    There are other actions they can do to tell us what is going on, but unless you are on the inside, we wont know for sure. And what we can figure out on our own will be after the fact.

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    The families I know through work have begun visiting Universal or Knotts instead because of value.

Value is a very subjective term. Even at the increased price I get much more value from Disneyland than I do at those parks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    LOL and disney is trying to price the APers out. We are disney's reliable, loyal, and consistent revenue stream. We've been there when the tourists don't come. We've been there when the park was at its worst. And now they want us out when the park is at its best? They want us out because they Think they can pull some those coveted tourists? Serves them right that they don't get their precious tourists they wanted.

Sort of like the teen movies where the loser becomes popular and ditches his old friends for the cool kids...only to find that the cool kids weren't there for him. Oh, like Mean Girls. Disney has become plastic...
    If this is the case, Disney will spot it, find the error and correct it (like they did back in 2001.) However, with over a million APs out there, I think they are pushing to see what the market will handle. Are they seeing a major decrease in APs? Are they seeing a decrease in customers? With 3-4 hour waits in Cars Land? Has anyone else noticed the major increase in Plaids?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast