• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Cool Help for a person with Special Needs.

I have a serious heart condition that seriouly slows me down. I can do most of the rides exccept for the ones with heavy duty magnets or sudden uncontrollable jolts as I have a pacemaker and internal defibrillatior. (Really, only Space Mountain, Tower of Terror and California Screaming are out.)

Last time I went to Disneyland, a cast member instructed me to go to City Hall where they could make my day easier through a 'blue card'. Do they still have this program?

I must admit, the last I went, the card help so much as I cannot stand that long without getting seriously lightheaded and must limit my stair walking. The only downside was that since my disbility is not "visual" -- such as I do not need help with a walker or have an obvious outer imparement, I felt sheepish showing cast members the card.

anyways, do they still have this program?

Disney Road

Re: Help for a person with Special Needs.

Because you're Sgt. Pepper's Cardiologist......... Carry your Doctor's note w/ you, go to City Hall, request a Guest Assistance Card, "GAC"....... Yes, they still have it.....

As long as you are not one who would abuse such privileges...... you are welcome to use a Guest Assistance Card....... the only issue we argue/discuss here is when those NOT in need of such "assistance" abuse the privilege.

Otherwise, enjoy your day, you are entitled as anyone else to enjoy the Happiest Place in the World.......

That is exactly how I feel. I am so honoured to be given this opportunity and would hate to think anyone would think because I am not 'outwardly impared' (Boy, there had to be a nicer way to say that) that I am being dishonest.

In truth, without it... in the heat... my blood pressure would be so low that I would barely make it 2 hours.

Disney Road

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    the only issue we argue/discuss here is when those NOT in need of such "assistance" abuse the privilege.
    Why do we need to argue this? How do we know the person we are seeing, who appears normal, doesn't need it? This weekend, my daughter (22) went with a friend of hers who has MS (friend is 26.) Looking at them, they look like 2 normal young adults. However, the friend with MS has many issues she deals with. She cannot coordinate to board rides with the moving walkways without the walkway being slowed or stopped. She needs assistance stepping down into rides. BTMRR scared her when they said "If it stops, can you walk down stairs?" My daughter explained to her she would have all the times she needed to do it, that my daughters would be there to assist her, and the chances were slim it would happen. But if you saw her walking up the queue with her GAC you would roll your eyes and say "Another abuser.."

Why can't we all mind our own business and allow Disneyland (and Karma) to deal with it?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    Carry your Doctor's note w/ you, go to City Hall, request a Guest Assistance Card, "GAC"....... Yes, they still have it.....
    Some notes on this.

Don't waste time getting a Dr's note, you absolutely don't need to bring one. You can also pick up the GAC in DCA, where there is usually a shorter wait to speak to the CMs. Get it at guests services in DCA the Chamber of Commerce on BVS.

• Blew By You

The only question a CM will ask is if you can climb stairs. Enjoy your time at Disneyland.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Have you considered using a mobility scooter? My hubby has a permanent spine injury (also a disability that doesn't show) and he would never be able to visit the park if he had to walk the whole day. The only times it 'shows' is when he has to step down into any ride vehicle and then out of it again - and only I see the pain that flashes across his face.

Since we own our own scooter, we bring it with us and have a great time. He uses a cane whenever he is off the scooter and needs to stretch his legs. We have never had to get an assistance card.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Thank you everyone for the replies. I was not sure about the Doctor's note... these people are not medical advisors so I was not sure if that applied.

Thanks again.

Disney Road

• Minion

I have had three major heart surgeries. I know how it is everyone stares because they don't understand how hard life is. The gac works wonders. Don't let others judge you just smile and continue your day. Also for me indiana jones is hard. I would think twice about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandkitty View Post
    I have had three major heart surgeries. I know how it is everyone stares because they don't understand how hard life is. The gac works wonders. Don't let others judge you just smile and continue your day. Also for me indiana jones is hard. I would think twice about that one.

Thanks! I have been on Indy before.... pretty much the rule of thumb... other than heavy duty magnets.... is that if I can see what is happening and prepare myself... all is good. Space Mountain out due to no visibility. But The Mattahorn is in. C. Screaming and Tower or Terror are out due to magnets...and TofT is too random anyways.

I can do... and used to love Big Thunder mountain but those quick dips concern me as I get older.

I am only 43 but I do get scared on BTM now.
    Last edited by Beatle_johnny; 07-21-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Disney Road