Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm from Canada eh!

Disneyland Trip Report July 16-20: Thrills! Chills! & ...SPILLS???

Just got back from our latest trip and thought I'd share some memories while they are still fresh.

Before we start though, a quick back story: My family and I live in Calgary Canada, My wife works for an airline that affords us with cheap travel options and makes it easier to go some places, Anaheim being one of them.
    From July 2010 to July 2011 we had an annual pass and were able to go 5 separate times. (I started a trip report detailing my year long as an out of country annual pass holder, but I never finished it, so I will try to aim a bit lower and just do one trip at a time.) Since then we renewed the passes in April of 2012 and this will count as our second trip with these new passes. Because we go so often and are sadly not rich, we must travel on the cheap, so our hotel and food options are pretty basic and this trip was no exception.

Also a word of... caution? These pictures are not meant to be spectacular, but more of showcase of our typical family trip. Many other people can and will take much better pictures of Disneyland, but these are memories of our trip. Perhaps you can relate or maybe it reminds you of one of your family trips. In any case, please enjoy!

Our trip begins like many others, very early in the day. Due to full flights we had to first fly to Edmonton and then connect to LAX. For those who don't know Canadian geography, it's like taking a small step backwards before stepping forward. Defiantly not our first choice, nor is flying into LAX, but those are the challenges with traveling.

Once the silly car rental was sorted out we were on our way. I say silly because we had a less then stellar experience with MIDWAY car rental. Note of advice: you get what you pay for, which incidentally is a nice segway to our hotel.

For this trip we booked four nights at the Days Inn maingate. This "hotel" gave us three important things:
    1. A bed to sleep in that was safe and situated in the DISNEY bubble.
    2. A free continental Breakfast.
    3. A pool with a spa.

1 and 2 are self explanatory, but 3 was important as our kids, like most kids, love to swim but also get cold easily, so the spa is nice. Plus it is perfect for soaking weary feet after a long day at the parks.

The ever popular self portrait.

Yay! Pool time.

After a quick dip it was time to set out to the park. Because The Days Inn maingate is situated close to the Toy Story parking lot we thought we would quickly "Buzz" in and jump on a Bus.
    We have used this lot before, but I don't like it as much as the Mickey and Friends lot. Perhaps it's because of the non-Disney city buses, or that the drop off point is not in Downtown Disney, but it just feels like something is lacking on the ride in.

Steps into the Esplanade? Better take a picture!

Once in we decided to hit up DCA to see if anything had changed; apparently they had some kind of small re-model?

I keed, I keed... Disney has done a very good job in advertising, So good infact that even in my city there are billboards advertising a theme park 2000 miles away, Disney has a far reach indeed.

Jokes aside, there is only one word that I can use to describe Buena Vista Street: AMAZING!
    It is nothing short of amazing and the wait was well worth it. I still can't believe what it was, and what it is now...simply beautiful.

I love the new fountain, it makes for a much better picture spot than the hubcap.

We moved along to the other draw:

Now if one word to describe Buena Vista Street was Amazing, one word to describe Cars Land would be LEGIT.

It's was just so authentic to what Radiator Springs looked like in the movies and the feeling of immersion was just so perfect. My one complaint was that it was VERY congested and did not flow very well, especially around RSR. The road leads guests to a dead end creating utter chaos when they all had to turn around their strollers, wheel chairs and electric carts. You ever seen an electric cart make a smooth 3 point turn without taking out a few ankles?? I'm sure that it will subside, but man-o-man, it was a test of patience to navigate.

Stan the man!

If you have not seen the short CARS-TOON about How Radiator Springs came to be, check it out before you hit up Cars Land, Its a super cute back-story to how the town was born.

When we got there the line for RSR was around 2 hours so we decided to put that off in favor of trying the shorter wait time of Luigi's Flying tires.

Bored in line? Make duck faces!

Thinking volleyball, not dodge-ball.

We all enjoyed LFT, but thought it was too short to properly get the hang of it. Next time for sure.
    After we decided to check out the shops that Cars Land had to offer.

Give me your best "tire on the head as an elaborate hat" pose.

Brilliant!

At that point our long day of travel was rapidly catching up with us and food was on our minds. We headed to our favorite restaurants outside the park: The Cheese Cake Factory.

And no trip is complete without Cheese Cake!

With our belly's properly filled and our legs and feet rightly sore, we headed back to the hotel for some rest. The next day wold bring more Cars Land fun and we needed to get up early to beat the crowds.

Spoiler alert: We didn't beat the crowds.

Re: Disneyland Trip Report July 16-20: Thrills! Chills! & ...SPILLS???

I'm glad you had a good time! Nice pics!

• Mischievous Mouse

Looks like a blast!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

no photos of the chaos in Carsland???
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

These are great! I love seeing photos of the people in the trip as opposed to seeing close ups of random things in the park. These make me excited for my trip in November! Hope to see more!

Can't wait to hear more....as a fellow Cdn annual pass holder I am more than pleased to hear about your disneyland adventures!
    One and Only WDW Visit: March 2013

DL Visits: Aug 2005, Dec 2007/Jan 2008, Oct 2010, Aug 2011, May 2012, Aug 2012, Nov 2012

• Done with MC.

Nice TR and cute family! Enjoy them as much as you can, they grow fast.

Thanks for sharing. I hope to see/read more on your trip!
    Jennifer

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I'm glad you had a good time! Nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Looks like a blast!
    Thanks! We really did have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    no photos of the chaos in Carsland???
    We did take a few, but they didn't really turn out. This was the best one:

Notice the wall of people heading to and from RSR...

Quote Originally Posted by madgei View Post
    These are great! I love seeing photos of the people in the trip as opposed to seeing close ups of random things in the park. These make me excited for my trip in November! Hope to see more!
    I'm the same way. Landscape pictures are great, but I like seeing the human element

Quote Originally Posted by Dec2009Mama View Post
    Can't wait to hear more....as a fellow Cdn annual pass holder I am more than pleased to hear about your disneyland adventures!
    The few and the proud! Hope I do a fellow Canadian proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Nice TR and cute family! Enjoy them as much as you can, they grow fast.
    Wise words indeed. It was my sons 11th birthday while we were there, we first went when hw was 5. How the time flies by.

Quote Originally Posted by jennc04
    Thanks for sharing. I hope to see/read more on your trip!
    Thank you! And here is more!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 2!
    Day 2 we had one main mission in mind. That mission was Radiator Springs Racers. Clearly this new E ticket was a big draw for many vacationers alike and we thought we had a solid plan in place.
    1. Wake up Early.
    2. Get a fastpass for RSR
    3. Ride some other DCA rides while waiting for the fast pass entry time.
    4. Ride RSR and enjoy every second of it.
    5. Eternal happiness?

So that was the plan and like most things in life, things did not go according to plan...
    1. Woke up kinda early (we are on vacation after all)
    2. Fastpass was lined up around Carthay Circle Theater, down Hollywoodland ending at the exit to the Animation Academy. There was little chance in getting a fast pass in this line before they were all given out for the day. so we went to see the posted standby wait time: 180 minutes...
    3. Wait in said line for 180 minutes. Fortunately it was still early and it wasn't hot yet, but there were a few ride stoppages that they had to recover from causing the line to grow and grow.

As a funny aside, I always try to justify the long line by marveling at the fact that there are a whole bunch of people behind us too. Not sure why this makes my feel better, but it just does. It's like, "Sure we have to wait a long time, but look at these people behind us, they need to wait even longer!"

4. We eventually got on and actually completed task 4. We all loved it and enjoyed every minute of it.
    5. Working on it.

One nice thing about a long wait in the Que is a chance to take pictures!

The smile is a tell tail sign that we just started waiting in line...

Surprise Kiss!

Notice the guy behind us with the breakfast tray. I saw many people doing this and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Sure it makes sense to have breakfast while you wait, it just seams like a messy way to not enjoy his meal that he probably payed a premium for.

Ummm... yeah best to just move along...

Nothing to add, just really like this picture.

The ride really was spectacular and worth the wait IMHO. I wish it was just a little longer and a tad faster. The first minute is really worth every penny. And if you were wondering, we got new tires and won the race.

RSR personal record: 1-0

After RSR we were hungry and I only had a stomach for one place: Cozy Cones! Since I read about the new CONE-tastic menu options I have been wanting to try the Chili cone carne. Sadly I'd have to wait a bit longer as the time was not right for a lunch cone-snack. Normally I'd get down on a breakfast cone, but my wife does not eat eggs and that was really the only viable option. Oh well, perhaps next time. At least the kids came away with a cone sipper.

Maybe one night I'll fill it with chilli con carne and make my damn cone.

From there we checked in at TOT using a fast pass that we got on our way to RSR.

Anyone else see the face?

Now it is a tradition that when I ride TOT my wife will stay behind an purchase a bag of Goofy sour balls to enjoy while she waits for us thrill seakers. For some crazy reason it appeared that they were sold out? That should have been a clear warning that portions of this trip were not meant to be, but I digress, no sour balls makes us sad vacationers indeed.

We stalked over to Monsters Inc and were surprised to see a posted wait time of more than 5 minutes??? Now that was truly a first. The Sour Balls curse was clearly at play here. Not wanting to throw off out trip further, we elected to wait it out. I got to say, I like Monsters Inc a whole lot better when I can just walk on... Sorry Mike and Sulley, but you are just not worth the wait...

Aprés Monsters Inc we went to the Animation Academy. We all really enjoy this underrated gem and love just sitting in the main lobby just watching all the movie vignettes. The scope of the building is so over-whelming that it is hard to imagine that we passed it by almost every other trip on our way to or from TOT.

Hmmm... eat lunch with nice people, or eat nice people for lunch... decisions, decisions...

Cozy

It was at that point that we just realized that we had been at the DLR for almost 24 hours and have not stepped into Disneyland yet, so we high tailed it over to Cafe Orleans for some lunch.

Hey everyone, I made GUMBO!

One of my wife's favorite pictures.

From there we hit up the Mansion. Now I love the mansion, one of my favorites, but my wife is not much of a fan. I think she is just a scared-y cat.
    Time was ticking on some BTM fast passes so we went to check out some real live animals.

Never underestimate the draw of petting zoo. Unfortunately I'm allergic, but the rest of the family can and do partake. While they were getting antiquated with the new Sheep named 'Bolt' I was drawn in to the festival area. I have never been back there and was floored by the shear space. They really need to find a better use of that area IMO.

Which brings me to another place that they need to find a better use for: TOON TOWN. I despise Toon Town and would like nothing more than to see it whipped off the map with a 1000 barrels of DIP. It's not like I don't like the idea, just hate the presentation. Hot, faded and over crowded...ugh, but it's popular with the kids...

Side bar en route to TT:

Pascal on a break from the Tangled meet and great...
    OK I know it's not the real Pascal.

Wonder twins activate! Form of Tourist!

Self Shot!

Nice decoration, or required to prevent over heating in the baking California sun?

B-U-S-T-E-D, You're busted!

Finally made it on to BTM for our last ride of the day... OR WAS IT??? Duh, Duh, duh!!!

Hey Random stranger!

Hungry and tired we headed back to the hotel for food and pool. We decided on Pizza as it was cheap and easily consumed by the pool. This it when another interesting thing happened. On my way to Pizza Hut, by the Target, I was diverted off to another street. Once I finally got around it seamed that there where cops and people everywhere. According to the Pizza Hut staff there was a hostage situation just around the corner and the street was on lock down. I didn't hear anything else about it, but it was a bit sad never the less, hope nobody was hurt...

After we all ate I made the decision that the night was still young and the park was still calling my namel. With no other takers I decided to have a ME PARTY at DCA.I grabbed my camera and jumped a bus at the Toy Story lot for the second time that trip. I decided to check out the recent Brave add on to World of Color, but first I needed a pick me up. If only there was a premium coffee place in DCA??? Well I'll have to just have Starbucks then. Bad-um-chi!

Actually I really enjoyed having a Starbucks in the park, a lot more than I thought I would and the fact that it is the same price as it is at home? Well that's just a win-win.

Coffee in hand, I ventured to World of Color. Not having a fast pass (which i think is silly to still require one) I was able to watch from the entrance of Undersea adventures and got there right in time to see the Brave sequence which was awesome. I then headed over to Cars Land again, but stopped by second favorite new shop in DCA: Ghirardeli's. Earlier that day we had our complimentary chocolate square, but my thirst for chocolate was great and I had to get another square. The first one was a Crunchy hazelnut square a very nice treat for sure and the evening was the Caramel which was also quite good too. I was sad when I heard the tortilla factory was closing, but I will get over it, one chocolate square at a time.

Cars Land at night is spectacular and I was happy to get these shots on the way to RSR. My aim was to see if I could get on single rider. Sure enough the line was about an hour, but I wanted to experience RSR at night. A few rounds of Angry Birds space later I was buckled in and racing my way to another tire change and Win!

RSR Personal Record: 2-0

The last thing on my to do list was a trip down the rabbit hole to the Mad T Party.

Now before I start, I want to preface this by stating some personal truths: I like loud Music, I like some techno and am aware of much of the popular music out now. I also appreciate live music and generally enjoy seeing live shows.

With that out of the way, I don't feel like there is much of a place for the Mad T Party in DCA. Sure the band was cool and the White Rabbit DJ was spinning the mad beats, but it just seams so out of place, even with the Alice tie in. It also made me fell uncomfortable and embarrassed. Uncomfortable for the families with young kids at essentially a Bubblegum rave and embarrassed for the teenagers who feel the need to dress the part of underage club patron.

I would have taken pictures, but I didn't want to be in possession of material that would get my arrested if seen by the authorities. I felt that Electronica had more to offer and hope that Disney tries a bit harder in creating a viable draw for families, rather than local teens who are in a hurry to grow up. Sad really, I thought Disney was a place that people didn't have to grow up...

I had enough for the night and decided to head home. Once clearing the park I was also faced with another challenge, waiting in another line for the Bus back to the Toy Story lot.

It looks worse than it was, but thankfully I was by myself. You could feel the frustration in the air from the families that were in this huge line, just wanting to get to their car.

What will Day 3 bring us? Honestly, I can't remember, but I'll check out the pics and get back to you!

• formerly very helpful

Real nice pictures! Looks llike you had a great time.

Just wondering, did you skip out of town to miss the Stampede, or were you there for that?

Awesome report, look forward to more. I makes the month I have to wait more frustrating. I wanna go now!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

We do NOT have near enough trip reports around here anymore!! This is wonderful! And don't kid yourself... you pictures are beautiful! The best ones are the ones of family together having a great time as a family! And you have a beautiful family and it certainly looks like everyone was having a great time!

More!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• A Cheerful Chick-A-Dee!

BTW, your kids are adorable.

• I'm from Canada eh!

!Re: Disneyland Trip Report July 16-20: Thrills! Chills! & ...SPILLS???

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Real nice pictures! Looks llike you had a great time.

Just wondering, did you skip out of town to miss the Stampede, or were you there for that?
    Ooh a Stampede Fan! We were indeed in town, but as with most years we skipped it. I'm not the cowboy type, nor am I the avid party goer, but I did volunteer for a kids day so I was down at the grounds cooking. While flipping Pancakes something caught my eye:

That's right people, The Hidden Valley Ranch Character. Step aside talking Mickey, we got a bottle of dressing in the house!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickii View Post
    Awesome report, look forward to more. I makes the month I have to wait more frustrating. I wanna go now!
    Awe, well waiting is sometimes the best part, and they have all that time to get the kinks out of RSR

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    We do NOT have near enough trip reports around here anymore!! This is wonderful! And don't kid yourself... you pictures are beautiful! The best ones are the ones of family together having a great time as a family! And you have a beautiful family and it certainly looks like everyone was having a great time!

More!
    Thanks penguinsoda, that means a lot! And the cheap little camera that we got isn't too bad hey?

Quote Originally Posted by madgei View Post
    BTW, your kids are adorable.
    Thanks so much!

Oh, first off from the correction department: We wanted to meet the newest addition to the Disney family on Day 2. I was a big fan of Brave and i feel that Merida is a great character and role model for my son and daughter alike. Unfortunately she was packing up her bow and arrows due to the Parade and we never found ourselves back in that area. Next time for sure!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 3

Day 3 started a bit slower than day 1 and day 2. We didn't have much of a plan, only an idea that we wanted look north and hit up Disneyland first.

Still a classic pic.

It was my Son's actual birthday that day and he had an eye for some special birthday souvenirs. On our way to New Orleans square we noticed a short line for Dole Whip and jumped at the chance to get the family favorite without the usual wait.

Rivers of America in the morning is a brilliant place to sit, people watch and enjoy a pineappel-y (yeah it's a word) treat.

Thumbs up if you like dole whip!

It's a bit of a blur from there as we didn't take many pictures, but I think we got Fast Passes for Indy and rode Pirates.

After that we hit up a particular store for a Vinylmation set that my son had spied the previouse day. We are not hard core vinylmation collectors, but I will usually get one or two every trip as a memento of the vacation. My son has gotten a few and really liked the look of the "value" 2 pack that contained a RED Micky and a traditional blind packed figure. I feel that Vinylmantions are great because it takes all the choice out of your pick; you really get what you get and have to make your peace with it.

Unfortunately that is not how the brain of a young person works and as luck would have it, the one character that he didn't want, was the exact one that he got... what are the odds??? Thankfully Disney does the trade-in program and he was (kinda) happy with the new option, but I think was intrigued with the idea of trading at other locations later on in the day.

From there we wanted to ride the new Matterhorn to see how uncomfortable the new sleds really were. As a funny coincidence the last time that we rode the Matterhorn, it actually broke down and we were evacuated though the mountain! That was over a year ago? Right before its big refurb.

I offered to wait in the hour long line while the family went off looking for new Vinylmations to further trade. While there I met some nice young teenagers from San Antonio who were vacationing with their grandmother. Not to bring this trip report down, but they just lost their Step Dad to Cancer and were remarkably composed given the overall situation. When my wife and kids returned I was inclined to give my family a special hug, just because...

The ride was overall the same I guess. I don't love the new sleds, nor do I feel that the ride was any different, but it will always remain as one of my favorites and I was happy to ride it again.

From there we rode Space Mountain and headed back to Indy for Fast Pass times, but it was down. Dismayed (not really) we headed to DTD for some food and window shopping.

I love the fountain just inside DTD. Makes for good pictures.

Sometimes you just have to pick em up and go!

Lunch would be at Trader Joes for a light snack of guacamole and Chips on the patio. I highly recommended this to anyone as it is a great way to relax and fill up on some great guacamole. Seriously, one order is 8 bucks and we could not all finish it, plus it's healthy! (well, minus the chips...)

Bottomless bowl of chips eh? Challenge Accepted!

For those wondering about the eventual final Vinylmation choices these are the two that he ended up with.

Apparently one on the left is a special cast member version? IDK, my son was really happy with it though...

After that I was bagged and feeling the effects of my late night ME PARTY, so we headed back to the Hotel for a rest. The plan was to go back, once again, to DCA and have the family ride RSR at night using single rider.

I also wanted to see the pacific wharf entrance at night (by way of Ghirardelli's for yet another square of course!):

I love this shot, but only because the flash from the other family behind us went off a second before ours.. I wonder if their picture turned out?

Using single rider we were able to jump on RSR for my third trip around Radiator Springs. I fully endorse the single rider line for RSR now, it really is a time saver. Cars of 6 make it an ideal choice for a group that are fine to be split up. We were lucky though, I rode in the same car as my son, and my daughter rode in the same car as my wife. Funny how that works out. Oh, new tires and I won again. I'm beginning to see a pattern here...

RSR personal Record. 3-0 YAY!

We had one ride left in Cars Land and it was Mater's Junk Yard Jamboree. The ride dynamic is nothing new to us as in out home city, we have a theme park of sorts that has a similar ride, but that does not make this ride any less enjoyable.

Fireworks show while we wait? Yes please!

Psst... Behind you....

I'm pretty sure we called it a night, but not before getting some fresh beignets for the hotel room.

What is in store for Day 4 you ask?

We were wondering the same thing and decided to take an enjoyable detour from the norm.

• Disneymom

more more more. It is 1:51 am here and I was reading your enjoyable trip report and you left me hanging. I guess you have to experience day 4 first before you can post it. Well have fun and I can't wait to read about it. I love your report as it is alot of your family having fun. We are trying to take a trip as soon as finances allow. Night now, I'm gonna dream of DL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast