Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

Actually its more like the scramble, or so i think ( its an east coast thing )

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yeah, there are some Scrambler elements to it as well, not as intense as that though.

It's just fun, and that's just fine with me.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Yeah, there are some Scrambler elements to it as well, not as intense as that though.

It's just fun, and that's just fine with me.
    It is a fun ride. :-) I'm glad I was able to buy some of the songs from the attraction on the Cars Land soundtrack. I wish it had "Gad'Um" on it, but overall, I was happy to get the songs I got.

- Joe

I don't think it's as good as RSR, but it's much better than Luigi's, and it's much more fun than it looks. I'm so glad I didn't skip it like I was thinking about doing! The soundtrack is also really fun as well!

• Minion

I had a blast on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, as did my wife and daughter. My wife is a tough sell on any new attractions but this was a winner for her. My daughter loved it as we whipped around and she slid on the seat. The singing was a great theme to the entire attraction. To be a tad hokie, it's a feel good type of ride. Big Bonus: I didn't get sick on it.

• Chief Troublemaker

Thanks for the review, Bayouguy. Reading the thread & from what I've seen on youtube, I was worried about motion sickness until I saw your post. Think I'll give Mater a 'whirl' in Sept.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Iron-Clad Allie

After all the great comments about "Mater's Country Ho-Down Scrambler". I can hardly contain my excitement. It sounds like an unintended E-Ticket, and i very much look forward to giving it a twirl. For music value alone, how can yu go wrong with the talents of Larry the Cableguy and Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!

I'll bet that I'll enjoy Luigi's flying Tires a lot too, regardless of the lack of touting there goes.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Knott's has a similar sort of ride in Camp Snoopy that whips you around a corner. Watching it from the outside, it seems pretty ho-hum, but on the ride itself, it's actually really very fun. I love Mater's and it's like the Knott's ride improved. The sensation on the ride is so different than what it looks like outside or in videos. I totally encourage everyone to give it a try.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    I haven't been able to find the thread in a search but I remember the $100 million figure for Mater's coming up in the past. People with inside connections said that the real cost was nowhere near that much.
    The $100M figure was a number that got repeated so many times that people started to believe it. I'm not even sure the figure can be traced back to any legitimate source.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Me personally, I thought the attraction was underwhelming and unoriginal considering what they could have done with it. I would have rather they used the same vehicles and figured out how to place them on a track and go through an attraction similar to Fantasyland with indoor and outdoor scenes. If the land had a couple decent dark ride attractions I think it would be more tolerable but there is no balance currently to make it work. I also don't see what's so special about the theming, it's just commonly found hubcaps and junk?
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-23-2012 at 02:07 AM.

• Functional & Decorative

It's based on the classic Whip ride, which has been around for 100 years. For good reason, as you're all finding out. It's just amusing to see everyone "re-discover" it.

I personally think the reason we don't see them much anymore is because as you can tell, they take up quite a bit of space, which is something a lot of parks can't afford anymore for essentially a single family ride.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I love Mater's attraction, too! I was pleasantly surprised by how much I fell in love with it on the first ride-through! I only wish the ride time was a bit longer and there was something above the vehicles to give a bit more dimension to the attraction. Other than that, it's a great ride! The queue is insanely detailed and truly does feel like a real junkyard! I give it a solid 8/10! :-)

- Joe

I like this ride a lot and agree that I wish it was 15 to 30 seconds longer. Since it doesn't have a really long line I wonder if that would be possible? However, its a shame that more people don't realize that it is a better ride than it looks like.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Me personally, I thought the attraction was underwhelming and unoriginal considering what they could have done with it. I would have rather they used the same vehicles and figured out how to place them on a track and go through an attraction similar to Fantasyland with indoor and outdoor scenes. If the land had a couple decent dark ride attractions I think it would be more tolerable but there is no balance currently to make it work. I also don't see what's so special about the theming, it's just commonly found hubcaps and junk?
    If you look closer at the "hubcaps and junk" you could see that they are from Mater's Tall Tales shorts that Disney put out on the Disney Channel. I think its a nice little touch to relate the junkyard with all of Mater's adventures in his life.

should've, could've, would've but they didn't. I am happy and LOVE what they did with Mater, I for one don't want another dark ride.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    If you look closer at the "hubcaps and junk" you could see that they are from Mater's Tall Tales shorts that Disney put out on the Disney Channel. I think its a nice little touch to relate the junkyard with all of Mater's adventures in his life.
    Quite honestly how many people do you know realize that? I would bet on not many if a Disney nut like myself wasn't even aware of it. To 99.9% of the people it's just uninspiring junk on the wall that anyone with a little bit of artistic skill could have replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    I for one don't want another dark ride.
    So you would have rather had another carnival knock off added to DCA's long list of them instead of a Disney quality dark ride that achieves the same whip effect through scenery? I don't get your reasoning, this could have been DCA's Roger Rabbit.

---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 09:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sucho23 View Post
    I like this ride a lot and agree that I wish it was 15 to 30 seconds longer. Since it doesn't have a really long line I wonder if that would be possible? However, its a shame that more people don't realize that it is a better ride than it looks like.
    The line reflects what people are willing to wait for it. Many annual passholders are aware of what the experience is about, it simply isn't worth their time and I don't blame them for not wanting to wait over 20 minutes.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I was glad to see this thread as I wasn't sure if I wanted to ride it or not. After watching the videos, it looked - well, lame. But now that I have read these posts, I will give it a try when we are there in October!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast