Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76
  1. #31

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,685

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The line reflects what people are willing to wait for it. Many annual passholders are aware of what the experience is about, it simply isn't worth their time and I don't blame them for not wanting to wait over 20 minutes.
    Like with anything, you have to look at the capacity for a ride to get the entire story. So because Pirates has a line of 30 minutes but Autopia has a line of 60 minutes are you going to say that Autopia is better?

    It's because of capacity. Just like Mermaid, Maters is a people eater (not to that extent, but it has a high capacity).


  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    976

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Like with anything, you have to look at the capacity for a ride to get the entire story. So because Pirates has a line of 30 minutes but Autopia has a line of 60 minutes are you going to say that Autopia is better?

    It's because of capacity. Just like Mermaid, Maters is a people eater (not to that extent, but it has a high capacity).
    More to your point; i see people waiting well over 20 minutes in line to ride Dumbo, which is an even more basic attraction.

  3. #33

    • Non-Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    435

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Quite honestly how many people do you know realize that? I would bet on not many if a Disney nut like myself wasn't even aware of it. To 99.9% of the people it's just uninspiring junk on the wall that anyone with a little bit of artistic skill could have replicated.



    So you would have rather had another carnival knock off added to DCA's long list of them instead of a Disney quality dark ride that achieves the same whip effect through scenery? I don't get your reasoning, this could have been DCA's Roger Rabbit.

    To answer your questions...

    ummm my 4 year old daughter pointed out the junk on the wall before I had the chance to point it out to her. So yeah I think for it being a ride for the family which would include kids, the theming is great.

    as for it being a carnival knock off...how so? We had the San Diego Fair here this month and there was nothing there that looked like Maters. Nothing I can take my kid on and enjoy as a family.

    The reason why I don't want another dark ride in place of Mater's? When you see Radiator Springs in the film (especially where Mater's is located) it looks desolate and worn down...its a small little shanty and then junk...so to walk into Radiator Springs and see a huge show building at the entrance of the land would kill it for me. I like seeing Mater's out in the open, like he cleared a spot in junkyard just for us to have some fun.

    My reasoning is my own...I just don't think a dark ride would have looked right.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"





  4. #34

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,496

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    It looks like a ton of fun in the videos. Yeah, the action is basically an old carnival ride, but half the fun is in the execution. I hope we get a clone here on the East Coast before too long.

  5. #35

    • Non-Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    435

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The line reflects what people are willing to wait for it. Many annual passholders are aware of what the experience is about, it simply isn't worth their time and I don't blame them for not wanting to wait over 20 minutes.
    If I'm not mistaken you and I have had a debate about this prior where your argument was exactly the opposite. You stated that the amount of time one waits for a ride doesn't necessarily reflect its popularity due to the amount of people that certain rides push through in an hour.

    i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean is hardly ever longer than a 15 minute wait and would that be because it isn't worth the time for guests to ride or because the rides does 2500 people an hour? same with HM...hardley a line...guess that means that it's not worth the time to ride either.
    Last edited by christianAdam; 07-23-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"





  6. #36

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Quite honestly how many people do you know realize that? I would bet on not many if a Disney nut like myself wasn't even aware of it. To 99.9% of the people it's just uninspiring junk on the wall that anyone with a little bit of artistic skill could have replicated.
    Are you kidding me? I'm fairly certain the millions of kids and adults who regularly watch the Disney Channel are quite familiar with the references. You might be a Disney nut, but that doesn't mean you consume all that it has to offer.

    This forum is fairly vocal about their disdain towards the Disney Channel today and if you're not one of the majority and you actually do enjoy the programming, I'm sorry. But really? The pieces are great, and I'm sorry that that Heavy Metal Mater went completely over your head, dad gum-it.

    (hehehe)

  7. #37

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,786

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Like with anything, you have to look at the capacity for a ride to get the entire story. So because Pirates has a line of 30 minutes but Autopia has a line of 60 minutes are you going to say that Autopia is better?
    Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    If I'm not mistaken you and I have had a debate about this prior where your argument was exactly the opposite. You stated that the amount of time one waits for a ride doesn't necessarily reflect its popularity due to the amount of people that certain rides push through in an hour.

    i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean is hardly ever longer than a 15 minute wait and would that be because it isn't worth the time for guests to ride or because the rides does 2500 people an hour? same with HM...hardley a line...guess that means that it's not worth the time to ride either.
    The answer to capacity and popularity is not so cut and dry. You cannot directly compare the popularity of a low capacity and high capacity attraction, it doesn't work. What I was saying in another thread was you can compare similar capacity attractions to each other and you must also take into account population density in the area. For example, Haunted Mansion is comparable to Buzz Lightyear. From that comparison I can tell you that Haunted Mansion is more popular since it has a longer wait on average and doesn't have the advantage of extremely dense crowds funneling through Tomorrowland.

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Are you kidding me? I'm fairly certain the millions of kids and adults who regularly watch the Disney Channel are quite familiar with the references. You might be a Disney nut, but that doesn't mean you consume all that it has to offer.

    This forum is fairly vocal about their disdain towards the Disney Channel today and if you're not one of the majority and you actually do enjoy the programming, I'm sorry. But really? The pieces are great, and I'm sorry that that Heavy Metal Mater went completely over your head, dad gum-it.

    (hehehe)
    That's a pretty narrow demographic you are describing which basically sums up my entire point, not many know about the reference. What most people see are a bunch of hubcaps, drum barrels, and tires obtained from a junk yard, not intricate custom theming created at Imagineering. Not everyone or even a good chunk of park guests watch the Disney channel. When I go on an attraction like Indy, it doesn't require me to watch the film to understand there's detail involved. People need to get rid of this silly notion that the parks were built for children when it is in fact meant for families (kids, teens, young adults, adults, older adults, elderly).

    ---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 01:24 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    The reason why I don't want another dark ride in place of Mater's? When you see Radiator Springs in the film (especially where Mater's is located) it looks desolate and worn down...its a small little shanty and then junk...so to walk into Radiator Springs and see a huge show building at the entrance of the land would kill it for me. I like seeing Mater's out in the open, like he cleared a spot in junkyard just for us to have some fun.

    My reasoning is my own...I just don't think a dark ride would have looked right.
    Who says that it would have been a show building right out in front? Like I said, the ride would be outdoor as well and this would satisfy the aesthetics of Radiator Springs.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.

  8. #38

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    428

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Enjoyed it the 5 or 6 times we rode it but not something I'd spend alot of time waiting in line for. Good, milder alternative to the teacups which I can't ride. Nice addition, well themed, great for families to enjoy together.

  9. #39

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    That's a pretty narrow demographic you are describing which basically sums up my entire point, not many know about the reference. What most people see are a bunch of hubcaps, drum barrels, and tires obtained from a junk yard, not intricate custom theming created at Imagineering. Not everyone or even a good chunk of park guests watch the Disney channel. When I go on an attraction like Indy, it doesn't require me to watch the film to understand there's detail involved. People need to get rid of this silly notion that the parks were built for children when it is in fact meant for families (kids, teens, young adults, adults, older adults, elderly).
    But Junkyard isn't Indy. Junkyard is more akin to Dumbo or Mad Tea Party. I'd be more than willing to bet that a "good chunk" of guests watch the channel, which is why Playhouse Disney Live exists. I'm 18 and I watch the Disney Channel. I have peers who also watch it. My dad even watches it. It's also a silly notion to say that the channel is only for children.

    Even if most people see junk, it makes sense. It's a junkyard. It's not supposed to be furnished with the latest offerings from Milan or the fantastical landscapes featured in Brave. This is the world of Cars. The ride is in a junkyard. It's filled with car-related stuff. It's colorful and has hidden gems that people can and do pick up on.

  10. #40

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    1,228

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    I think that if someone doesn't understand the Mater references in the MJJ queue, then they aren't going to understand those same references in a Mater dark ride. If it just looks like junk, then it's going to look like junk in a queue or in a ride or in any type of attraction. *shrug*

    I'm really glad it's not a dark ride. I think the dark ride portion of RSR is absolutely phenomenal, so adding another dark ride in CL would just be redundant. Plus one of the things I love about RSR is that it's a dark ride as a part of a larger experience. I absolutely love DLR's other dark rides but in reality, you're sitting in a vehicle driving through elaborately-themed rooms. That's great--I like it, but you're still not actually doing anything. And a value-add like being able to spin your car, as in RRCS, is just not all that exciting to me. So I really like on MJJ that I can still see elaborate theming in the queue, and have a different, exciting ride experience at the end. I like having both.

    Additionally, there are plenty of straight-up dark rides, but there is no other ride in the resort like MJJ. It might look like it from the pictures, but the actual ride experience is quite different than the tea cups, etc. Is it carnival ride technology? I suppose, although I've never ridden a ride exactly like MJJ, but more importantly, a lot of DLR attractions aren't original technology. Walt didn't invent the dark ride--he just perfected it. WDI didn't invent the log ride, they just took it to a new level. They didn't invent the roller coaster, but they themed it. There's plenty of ride technology they didn't invent from scratch, but they put their special mark on it and made it stand out from the rest. Same with MJJ.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    81

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Quite honestly how many people do you know realize that? I would bet on not many if a Disney nut like myself wasn't even aware of it. To 99.9% of the people it's just uninspiring junk on the wall that anyone with a little bit of artistic skill could have replicated.



    So you would have rather had another carnival knock off added to DCA's long list of them instead of a Disney quality dark ride that achieves the same whip effect through scenery? I don't get your reasoning, this could have been DCA's Roger Rabbit.

    ---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 09:54 AM ----------



    The line reflects what people are willing to wait for it. Many annual passholders are aware of what the experience is about, it simply isn't worth their time and I don't blame them for not wanting to wait over 20 minutes.
    I am an annual passholder and Maters is worth it to me with my kids.

  12. #42

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,786

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    But Junkyard isn't Indy. Junkyard is more akin to Dumbo or Mad Tea Party. I'd be more than willing to bet that a "good chunk" of guests watch the channel, which is why Playhouse Disney Live exists. I'm 18 and I watch the Disney Channel. I have peers who also watch it. My dad even watches it. It's also a silly notion to say that the channel is only for children.

    Even if most people see junk, it makes sense. It's a junkyard. It's not supposed to be furnished with the latest offerings from Milan or the fantastical landscapes featured in Brave. This is the world of Cars. The ride is in a junkyard. It's filled with car-related stuff. It's colorful and has hidden gems that people can and do pick up on.
    Never said it should be compared to Indy, it was merely an example of the difference in execution and wider target demographic. It is also a factually accurate statement that Disney channel does not have many adults tuning in. Soon as you get into the older teen and adult demographic, viewership rapidly declines.

    Disney Channel
    New Series:
    TBA
    Returning Series:
    TBA
    Ratings Recap:
    Wizards of Waverly Place
    9.755 million viewers; 2.373 million adults 18-49 (1.9 rating)
    Jessie
    3.662 million viewers; 0.709 million adults 18-49 (0.6 rating)
    Austin & Ally
    2.983 million viewers; 0.519 million adults 18-49 (0.4 rating)
    Shake It Up
    2.971 million viewers; 0.523 million adults 18-49 (0.4 rating)
    Fish Hooks
    2.886 million viewers; 0.477 million adults 18-49 (0.4 rating)
    A.N.T. Farm
    2.718 million viewers; 0.486 million adults 18-49 (0.4 rating)
    Phineas & Ferb
    2.702 million viewers; 0.500 million adults 18-49 (0.4 rating)
    So Random!
    2.460 million viewers; 0.409 million adults 18-49 (0.3 rating)

    Disney XD
    New Series:
    Motorcity - Monday, April 30 at 9/8c
    Returning Series:
    TBA
    Ratings Recap:
    Lab Rats
    1.123 million viewers; 0.199 million adults 18-49 (0.2 rating)
    Kickin' It
    0.751 million viewers; 0.123 million adults 18-49 (0.1 rating)
    Zeke & Luther
    0.607 million viewers; 0.091 million adults 18-49 (0.1 rating)
    Pair of Kings
    0.587 million viewers; 0.097 million adults 18-49 (0.1 rating)
    Mr. Young
    0.417 million viewers; 0.070 million adults 18-49 (0.1 rating)



    ---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by sucho23 View Post
    I am an annual passholder and Maters is worth it to me with my kids.
    Of coarse a 20 minute wait is worth it for your kids, now imagine it being an hour? Would your perspective change?
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.

  13. #43

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    976

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    ***BREAKING NEWS***

    Disney markets to KIDS! Who woulda thunk it?

  14. #44

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,786

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    ***BREAKING NEWS***

    Disney markets to KIDS! Who woulda thunk it?
    Factually speaking, history has shown that Walt never believed in marketing solely to children. Matter a fact, Snow White and every other animated film was designed for adult entertainment first and children second. There's a reason why every single one of them have the ability to scare children and feature adult concepts. What do you think Snow White's Scary Adventure is all about?

  15. #45

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    976

    Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Factually speaking, history has shown that Walt never believed in marketing solely to children. Matter a fact, Snow White and every other animated film and cartoon series was designed for adult entertainment first and children second.
    Factually speaking, Walt ain't around anymore. The company that he founded is no longer in existence. The current company markets to kids. They push their brand on them from birth in order to generate lifestyle customers in the future.

    Lots of folks on this board keep going back to what Walt would do.... those days are long gone and will never return.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. George Lucas was dead wrong about the future of movies
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
  2. What was so wrong about LightMagic?
    By goofypirate in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 09:59 PM
  3. ... I was just thinking about Indy Adventures...
    By Alestro Bakai in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 06:48 PM
  4. Well, I was wrong about FW.
    By FantasyWatersDude in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 02:31 PM
  5. What was so bad about TL 1998?
    By WaltsFavorite02 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 11:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •