Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: I was totally wrong about "Maters Junkyard Jamboree"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    They push their brand on them from birth in order to generate lifestyle customers in the future.
    Incorrect, Walt Disney's method of treating children as young adults created lifetime customers from birth. Disney's current model of talking down to their audience and constant babying becomes obsolete after teenage years as I have already shown with statistics.

---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 04:24 PM ----------

Factually speaking, Walt ain't around anymore. The company that he founded is no longer in existence. The current company markets to kids.
    Yet this is something you blatantly support? The degeneration of what made this company a success in the first place?
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Never said it should be compared to Indy, it was merely an example of the difference in execution and wider target demographic. It is also a factually accurate statement that Disney channel does not have many adults tuning in. Soon as you get into the older teen and adult demographic, viewership rapidly declines.
    And if those 200-700k adults get the references, then I think that is okay in my book. We can only hope the 2.4-9.7 million kids get it too. Heck, even if no adults get it and even one million kids understand the queue, then great. Better than nothing in the queue and it certainly makes for something interesting to look at while I wait for the ride.

Everybody, please stay away from this ride. It's bad, such a horrible time... please go wait in the line for RCR.

Okay, I'm being facetious...My 4-year old son LOVED it more than RCR! And with a wait time of 20 minutes, as opposed to the 4 hours we waited to ride RCR; it was a slam dunk.

Yet this is something you blatantly support? The degeneration of what made this company a success in the first place?
    I didn't say I supported it. I stated facts. People need to stop living in the past. Walt died almost 50 years ago. With him went the "old way of doing things". It's been this way a lot longer than it was the other way. Obviously the company knows what they are doing since it has continued to grow over the last 50 years and they didn't go bankrupt. You may not agree with that, but it's just the way it is. Why continue to support a company with your dollars if you don't like what they stand for?

It just seems to me that there is a large portion of members of this board that either can't accept that or they just enjoy nitpicking every tiny little thing about DLR. Who cares if YOU couldn't tell the reference to the TV show? Obviously a lot of other folks did. Let them enjoy the ride instead of constantly bashing every single thing that's at the parks.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    And if those 200-700k adults get the references, then I think that is okay in my book. We can only hope the 2.4-9.7 million kids get it too. Heck, even if no adults get it and even one million kids understand the queue, then great. Better than nothing in the queue and it certainly makes for something interesting to look at while I wait for the ride.
    These numbers are miniscule in the grand scheme of things. How many people live in the United States, then ask yourself out that 200k of adults, who watched the Mater reference? Then even narrowing it further, of those viewers who visited the park and so happened to visit this particular attraction?

Incorrect, Walt Disney's method of treating children as young adults created lifetime customers from birth. Disney's current model of talking down to their audience and constant babying becomes obsolete after teenage years as I have already shown with statistics.

No, what you actually showed was that a channel FOR KIDS has a low amount of adult viewers. I don't know what is so surprising about that.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by ratchy99 View Post
    Everybody, please stay away from this ride. It's bad, such a horrible time... please go wait in the line for RCR.

Okay, I'm being facetious...My 4-year old son LOVED it more than RCR! And with a wait time of 20 minutes, as opposed to the 4 hours we waited to ride RCR; it was a slam dunk.
    Don't misinterpret my intent, the attraction is worth 20 minutes or less and is fun for what it is.

---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 04:40 PM ----------

No, what you actually showed was that a channel FOR KIDS has a low amount of adult viewers. I don't know what is so surprising about that.
    If this were the original Disney channel that showed young adult content, the result would have been much different.

• Minion

Of coarse a 20 minute wait is worth it for your kids, now imagine it being an hour? Would your perspective change?
    Didn't have to wait an hour, but did wait 45 mins. Yes, worth it.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

If this were the original Disney channel that showed young adult content, the result would have been much different.
    But.... we AREN'T talking about the "old" Disney Channel. Once again you are living in the past my friend.

Both of you are making valid points.

To Seawolf, yes, it is too bad that the vision that Walt had for the park is gone. Walt's vision was not that Disneyland was a place for kids, it was a place that both kids could enjoy and where adults could be kids again!

To 4th Gen Disney Fan, you are also correct, this is the way of the world and it will never change; it will never be the way it was. It makes me sad that the experience has been corporatized, but I still am able to enjoy the resort for what it is now.

Walt was a showman, but he was also businessman - he just did it better and without appearing to be overtly corporate.

That being said, my 4-year loved looking at all the Mater-themed decorations - he loved the "Metal Mater" poster with Mater wearing bat wings, the stacked tires, even the propeller ceiling fans and, in the end, the ride made him laugh.

For me, that it makes it worth it at any cost!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I didn't say I supported it. I stated facts. People need to stop living in the past. Walt died almost 50 years ago. With him went the "old way of doing things". It's been this way a lot longer than it was the other way. Obviously the company knows what they are doing since it has continued to grow over the last 50 years and they didn't go bankrupt. You may not agree with that, but it's just the way it is. Why continue to support a company with your dollars if you don't like what they stand for?

It just seems to me that there is a large portion of members of this board that either can't accept that or they just enjoy nitpicking every tiny little thing about DLR. Who cares if YOU couldn't tell the reference to the TV show? Obviously a lot of other folks did. Let them enjoy the ride instead of constantly bashing every single thing that's at the parks.
    So if Disneyland were to turn into a carnival you would tell me to stop living in the past, that's the way things are? Your argument is a fallacy at best with zero substance to defend poor management decisions.

So if Disneyland were to turn into a carnival you would tell me to stop living in the past, that's the way things are? Your argument is a fallacy at best.
    It's always soooo easy to change the premise of the argument rather than argue the points themselves, isn't it? I'm not talking hypothetically. I'm stating facts. IF DLR were to suddenly turn into a carnival, then I would discuss my feelings. But since it's not, I can't and I won't.

Besides that, I'm not talking about DLR of the past, only the corporation itself and its business strategy. These two things are mutually exclusive.

---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 07:12 PM ----------

So if Disneyland were to turn into a carnival you would tell me to stop living in the past, that's the way things are? Your argument is a fallacy at best with zero substance to defend poor management decisions.
    I wanted to make sure I gave you enough time to finish editing your post before I replied. Is the coast clear now?

I didn't realize that I had defended poor decisions at all. I merely stated that The Walt Disney Company is still in existence FIFTY years after its founder died. It is now the largest media conglomerate ever in existence and its global empire is generating more money than God. I guess I just assumed that it was common knowledge. I'll be sure to bring more facts with me to the table next time.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

IF DLR were to suddenly turn into a carnival, then I would discuss my feelings. But since it's not, I can't and I won't.
    So in order for you to act or show your displeasure it would take a complete collapse of their values to do so? Sorry, mediocre is not what this company was about and I have no problem voicing my opinion to defend Walt Disney's core values, corporation or not.

So in order for you to act or show your displeasure it would take a complete collapse of their values to do so? Sorry, mediocre is not what this company was about and I have no problem voicing my opinion to defend Walt Disney's core values, corporation or not.

Well, considering that their values changed to the current model well before I was even born, then yes, that is exactly what it would take.

I don't understand the reference to mediocre, but ok....

You still haven't answered my question though: If you disagree with the way things are as strongly as you say, WHY DO YOU KEEP SUPPORTING IT WITH YOUR DOLLARS? By doing that you are in fact telling Disney that you agree with them.

• Circle of Ancients

Of coarse a 20 minute wait is worth it for your kids, now imagine it being an hour? Would your perspective change?
    I wouldn't wait an hour for most attractions. Waited about that for RSR yesterday, won't do it again.

But to answer your question, I'd wait 30 minutes for Maters.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast