Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Blew By You

Re: When do you think the height of Imagineering was?

1979-1980. Disney consisted of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom at WDW. Its apex was the Big Thunder Mountain attraction. A few years later, Disney would be struggling against a hostile takeover. Disney and WDI needed to be saved. That was it. Henceforth, a corporation was born.

Maybe that's just it. Corporations by definition serve the shareholders, Walt served inspiration.

Yikes I'm getting depressed the more I think about this =/

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenchanter View Post
    Maybe that's just it. Corporations by definition serve the shareholders, Walt served inspiration.

Yikes I'm getting depressed the more I think about this =/

Its really unfair to expect anything else really. How can you expect someone to treat the park like Walt did? It was his baby from the start. No matter how dedicated a ceo or management team is, they will never be able to match the amount of love and care that Walt, the creator of DL, provided.

With that being said I do think they are handling the parks pretty well for being a company with no one person in charge with much passion for the parks.

Anyway back to the question I'd have to say the 80s-90s. Creatively, WDI was pumping out some awesome stuff. Especially without Walt at the helm, they managed to create some of the best attractions we have. Eisner wasn't a baby with the parks yet and he was still throwing money at them. We got Star tours, Fantasmic!, and Indy out of it, just to name a few.

But who knows, we may be on the verge of a WDI renaissance with the recent changes that have happened. As long as we keep getting BVS's, RSR's, and TSMM's...
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Anyway back to the question I'd have to say the 80s-90s. Creatively, WDI was pumping out some awesome stuff. Especially without Walt at the helm, they managed to create some of the best attractions we have. Eisner wasn't a baby with the parks yet and he was still throwing money at them. We got Star tours, Fantasmic!, and Indy out of it, just to name a few.

But who knows, we may be on the verge of a WDI renaissance with the recent changes that have happened. As long as we keep getting BVS's, RSR's, and TSMM's...
    Interesting
    Last edited by WDW1971; 08-05-2012 at 06:41 PM.

• Minion

The CEO or management team should realize the company's true product is originality. In the "Walt era" the company originated trends in popular culture and entertainment. In the latter-day era the company has chosen to merely reflect and appropriate whatever happens to be popular or trendy already.

And I still don't agree with the notion that throwing more money at a project automatically makes it better. What makes a project great are the concepts and ideas that the project expresses.

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The very idea that Disney can't even compete with their 40 year old attractions is a testament to this standard.
    That's a good point and would lead me to choose the time when Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland 1967 and the original vision for EPCOT were all being developed. The attractions created for the New York World's Fair advanced the art greatly, and so that time is notable too. And of course the original development of Disneyland - doing things that had never been done before - was daring and risky imagineering.

WDI is only as good as the competence level of the leadership in the company. Walt Disney was very competent at surrounding himself with talented individuals and inspiring them.

Good things have come along in the parks since Walt Disney's passing and some things have NOT been so good. But we learn, grow, press on and move forward!

What I think is unique about the Walt Disney Company today is how many of us still care about what the founder would think or do......that says a great deal about Walt Disney and his legacy. =)

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by dgpollard View Post

What I think is unique about the Walt Disney Company today is how many of us still care about what the founder would think or do......that says a great deal about Walt Disney and his legacy. =)

• Minion

suddenly I feel so insignificant

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    suddenly I feel so insignificant
    Oh Bob Weaver, you are significant though!

---------- Post added 07-25-2012 at 11:40 AM ----------

The CEO or management team should realize the company's true product is originality. In the "Walt era" the company originated trends in popular culture and entertainment. In the latter-day era the company has chosen to merely reflect and appropriate whatever happens to be popular or trendy already.

And I still don't agree with the notion that throwing more money at a project automatically makes it better. What makes a project great are the concepts and ideas that the project expresses.
    I wish they would realize guests like original rides too. Everest is a great ride even though there is no character relation. I'm sure Radiator Springs Racers would have been great if they did not use the Cars characters.

As long as the ride has a great story and the execution was well done, it should be a stellar attraction but if they still have a good story but cheapen out then guests will not be able to understand the story as easily and they may get bored.

• "I Break Things"

asking when the peak "was" implies that anything after has been downhill...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Imagineering's prime was the Late 80's/Early 90's. Best amalgamation of talent ever at the company. A mixture of the original group still around and the new group that harnessed everything the founders learned and took it a step further.

This was when Imagineering really blossomed as its own discipline, and not an offshoot of animation and set design.

The OP's list says it pretty well, but I think he missed the crown jewel of their 90's achievement: Fantasmic.

• Disneyland Man

1952-1995 + Japan

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Minion

The period that resulted in the creation of Disneyland itself, so I would say the early 1950s.

Second would be the mid-1960s which saw the creation of New Orleans Square, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and the new Tomorrowland of 1967 including Adventure thru Inner Space, Carousel of Progress and PeopleMover. Also during that period It's a Small World and the Primeval World diorama opened. So the mid-1960s was a very fertile period for originality and innovation.
    Absolutely this.

That which happened at the beginning is responsible for all the rest that has followed.

From there it got better up through the 60s because even though Walt was sadly gone by the late 60s, his colleagues were still there and ready to keep the magic and imagination flowing.

Beyond a doubt its the late 60's. However, Cars Land shows me they've been regaining some skill and mojo the last few years while polishing up and studying the old Disneyland masterpiece Attractions. I really feel they can actually create a better Tomorrowland than the current 60's version after not wanting to leave Cars Land. Before, I was scared they would just make Tomorrowland worse every time they touched it. Now I don't mind them bulldozing stuff because the new stuff might actually be better.

However, while the 60's might have been the pinnacle, I suspect some of this is a budget thing.... Walt had a little more power to get the money required to not just build attractions, but make them spectacularly better than he had to..... And I think Lasseter is doing a great job with this too.
    Last edited by eicarr; 07-25-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast