Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disney friends are #1

Disneyland water: Too Purified To Actually Quench Your Thirst?

I've read that Disneyland uses reclaimed, purified water for their plumbing and water fountain needs. I have noticed, however, that whenever I'm thirsty at Disneyland, the water from the water fountains just won't quench my thirst. I can drink until my stomach hurts BUT I'm still thirsty. The bottled waters quench my thirst but the fountains don't. Why??? Has the water been TOO purified?
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 07-22-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Re: Disneyland water: Too Purified To Actually Quench Your Thirst?

That's a very interesting observation! I don't know why the water from the drinking fountains wouldn't quench your thirst as well as bottled water. Although I wonder if it has to do with mineral content?

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I notice this with the water from restaurants... It just never seems to kill my thirst. Very odd...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

You could be dehydrated and not getting enough water from the fountain, and drinking from a bottle you would be drinking more water at one time.

I would venture from the drinking fountains its tap water from the city source, I doubt its reclaimed water. Reclaimed for like irrigation, and decorative fountains and such, but I would have a hard time believing the drinking fountains are using any reclaimed water.

If water is too pure, its useless to us, as in if its reverse osmosis water without anything added back to it, animals and plants just can't use it.

Put a fish into pure reverse osmosis water, it will die.

Most purified waters are reverse osmosis systems, and bottles likely have minerals and such added back to the water.
    Last edited by jsmith11618; 07-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.

• Minion

The water in the fountains is filtered water, not reclaimed water. As far as quenching your thirst, water is water. My guess is that with the fountain, you're drinking a lot of air at the same time you're drinking water if you're going straight from the fountain. I agree that with bottled water (which most of the time is indeed just filtered tap water) you're drinking more with each swallow than from the fountain.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I don't know about not having your thirst quenched, but for the best go at it I recommend the water fountains at Goofy's Gas in ToonTown- they positively GUSH and overflow. No problem getting enough water there! They're my favorites!

• Minion

Possibly it is the minerals in the drinking fountain make you dehydrated? Orange County has "hard" Tap water and when I drink it the contents of it make my mouth dry if that makes sense.

•   
    • Minion

The Dasani water they sell at the park is made from local water supplies too...Orange County water to be exact, since the Coca Cola bottling plant is in the city of Orange, right near Anaheim. They just add a few more minerals to it.

One guess I would have is the difference in temperature? I know for myself, ice cold water quenches thirst a lot more than lukewarm water does. The water fountains are never really icy cold, but the bottled water is kept in those freezers/fridges until you buy it. That could be the difference.
    Last edited by Malina; 07-22-2012 at 10:22 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm pretty certain that Anaheim is using reclaimed water as part of its water source. I believe the purification plant is located somewhere near Placentia if I recall correctly. Also mixed in is water from a natural well located a few feet beneath the surface of Northern Orange County, as well as water from Northern California and the Coloardo River. This all adds up to quite hard water, which may be why as others have stated it is hard to quench your thirst.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The Dasani water they sell at the park is made from local water supplies too...Orange County water to be exact, since the Coca Cola bottling plant is in the city of Orange, right near Anaheim. They just add a few more minerals to it.
    I have a friend who works in Marketing at Coca-Cola. He told me the bottling plants are in Los Angeles and Downey. But this was several years ago. Maybe they opened up another plant in Orange? Do you know where in Orange it is?

• some assembly required

For a week when I went camping outside Boise Idaho, I couldn't get a quenching drink of water. We were drinking filtered tap, but the filter didn't take out the dissolved lime (as in limestone). That made all the diff to a few of us. The locals who camped with us, had no issues. With enough time, one will experience a Homeostasis. And all will be just fine.

As for RO and distilled water, yes, they are evil! I won't get into details, but no one, not humans, not animals, and not plants should ever drink RO and/or distilled water for any length of time b/c that Homeostasis will never be acheived... unless... minerals have been added back into it. Dasani does this, but there are still several national brands that do not (or don't add enough). This applies to many beverages too that use this type of water in their drinks. Check the label, if they say they added minerals back into it (usually "for taste"), then you should be good to go.

Personally, I add a few grains of seasalt to my RO water at home before drinking.

---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 07:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm pretty certain that Anaheim is using reclaimed water as part of its water source. I believe the purification plant is located somewhere near Placentia if I recall correctly. Also mixed in is water from a natural well located a few feet beneath the surface of Northern Orange County, as well as water from Northern California and the Coloardo River. This all adds up to quite hard water, which may be why as others have stated it is hard to quench your thirst.

I do not know much about an off site plant, but there is a rather large facility or piece of equipment on property. It is the international standard color (lavender) to indicate reclaimed water. It is just outside the berm between the HM and POTC showbuildings. I do not know what it is for. If I had to guess tho, it would be for POTC and not for drinking. I am pretty sure tho that most of us will never know for sure, but if anyone does, it will be an MCer!

Here is a pic from google maps:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    I do not know much about an off site plant, but there is a rather large facility or piece of equipment on property. It is the international standard color (lavender) to indicate reclaimed water. It is just outside the berm between the HM and POTC showbuildings. I do not know what it is for. If I had to guess tho, it would be for POTC and not for drinking. I am pretty sure tho that most of us will never know for sure, but if anyone does, it will be an MCer!

Here is a pic from google maps.
    That complex is the West Side Boiler and Chiller Plant. There is a larger one located over on the east side of the park as well outside the berm behind Tomorrowland that you pass through of the monorail back from DTD.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they also used that same area as the filters and all for POTC.

I'm from the north west corner of Oregon where even the city slickers drink clean rain water. We have some of the best water in the country here, so I'm a bit biased when I say that all Anaheim water, even the "filtered" stuff in the restaurants is HORRIBLE! My wife and I always get a ride to a grocery store and stock up on bottled water every trip, even though we drink tap water at home. (What else is a hotel mini fridge for?)

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

About there being "Reclaimed Sewer Water" in the water system, you need to read up on the Adibatic Cycle of Fresh Water - that's how it already works in Nature.

The Sewer System just speeds it up a bit - but there's still no direct connection. They take the reclaimed water from the sewer plant, and whatever doesn't get piped straight to Golf Courses and other Irrigation users (the purple sprinkler pipes) the Water Districts run it into Spreading Basins along a major river or Injection Wells and let it percolate through several miles of earth for a year or two first.

Once that water has reached the local water table and traveled a few miles downstream, *then* they pull it out in a water well to reuse it - and even then it's blended in with "new" water from the Colorado River via the MWD, Sacramento Delta via the California Aqueduct, etc. Yeah, it's a little hard, but 1000% safe.

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    <Snip> I do not know much about an off site plant, but there is a rather large facility or piece of equipment on property. It is the international standard color (lavender) to indicate reclaimed water. It is just outside the berm between the HM and POTC showbuildings. I do not know what it is for. If I had to guess tho, it would be for POTC and not for drinking. I am pretty sure tho that most of us will never know for sure, but if anyone does, it will be an MCer!

Here is a pic from google maps:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Actually, since that's one of the Chiller Plants for making the cold water for Air Conditioning the ride buildings, those are probably the Refrigerant Accumulator Tanks. And the Purple (depending on the shade) would indicate either R-113, R-408A, R-411A (with a red band, so that's out) or R-502.

(Or they just picked the purple to be distinctive, not technically accurate - the chart is at REFRIGERANT CONTAINER COLOR ASSIGNMENTS )

I didn't think they would use R-502 on big systems like that - new chillers are mostly R-123 (Light Blue-Grey) or R-134a (Sky Blue), but I could be wrong...

{Circarama, Please call the Disneyland Operator...} Hey, Charlie! What are they using?

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I prefer the drinking fountain water to bottled water. Probably because I prefer my water at room temperature rather than cold or with ice. At home, I drink tap water. My husband buys bottled water, and drinks that. Me, on the other hand, I get a glass, and drink the water from the tap.

During my last trip to Disneyland, I did buy some small bottles of water. Not because of the taste of the water, but rather for the size of the bottle that I could reuse.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I have a friend who works in Marketing at Coca-Cola. He told me the bottling plants are in Los Angeles and Downey. But this was several years ago. Maybe they opened up another plant in Orange? Do you know where in Orange it is?
    Google Maps has the bottling plant at 700 West Grove Avenue, Orange, CA. On the map it looks to be close to Taft Avenue, and from the photo it does appear to be a factory/bottling facility, not offices. I also found something that mentioned that Coca-Cola has bought and sold plants around Southern California over the last 10 or 15 years, so perhaps the Orange one has only come into existence in the recent past? Or the company is growing even more? It looks as though the LA and Downey plants are still around, too.

Interestingly enough, Google is also showing an RC/7up bottling plant nearby, at 1300 West Taft Avenue in Orange.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast