Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Short wait times at rest of DCA due to Cars Land or low attendance?

^Disneyland has many locals...besides Ap's some people migth even come twice/three times a year with just a ticket

So they might skip rides to go on other rides they like more

• Minion

I went yesterday and RSR had a 120 min. wait, which was different to me because I usually see a 180 minute wait. The Little Mermaid was a walk-on and Mickey's Fun Wheel Swinging was 45 minutes long.

My husband and I are planning on coming down from Aug. 17-20, and we haven't seen the new DCA yet. Any recommendations for beating the crowds at DCA? Is it slow in the morning then slow again at night, or is it just crowded all day? Normally, we start out in D-land when it opens and then go to DCA in the afternoon, but this was before Carsland, etc. opened...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aaebert67 View Post
    My husband and I are planning on coming down from Aug. 17-20, and we haven't seen the new DCA yet. Any recommendations for beating the crowds at DCA? Is it slow in the morning then slow again at night, or is it just crowded all day? Normally, we start out in D-land when it opens and then go to DCA in the afternoon, but this was before Carsland, etc. opened...
    Get there before rope drop and wait in the line to get a fastpass for RSR as they do run out quickly. Afterwords, you should hit Luigi's Flying Tires if you're interested because it has long and slow waits later on. Next, I would go to Toy Story Mania because that line can get long and slow as well, and it doesn't offer fastpass. After that, the rest of the rides at DCA should not have long waits for the first few hours of park opening.

• Banned User

Though DCA technically has high attendance, it is primarily because the park that is entered first gets the credit for the admission. Guests might spend three hours in Carsland first thing in the a.m. then spend the rest of the day in Disneyland and the sharp pencil boys count it as attendance at DCA, not Disneyland.

Sure, they could tell the truth and say how much time the average guest spends in each park, but I think it is a marketing gimmick in a way as it makes DCA look uber popular when they leak these attendance numbers.

---------- Post added 07-30-2012 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I went yesterday and RSR had a 120 min. wait, which was different to me because I usually see a 180 minute wait. The Little Mermaid was a walk-on and Mickey's Fun Wheel Swinging was 45 minutes long.
    I think that guests love the atmosphere of Carsland, it is very immersive, and that going to the rest of DCA would sort of bring their spirits down. Its like being in a theme park that is half Disneyland and half Coney Island. After you've seen Carsland, it makes sense to go to Disneyland to experience the rest of the "lands" the resort has to offer.

I don't consider Paradise Pier a real land as you can see the outside work, they didn't go full tilt with fixing the queue for the Ferris Wheel, and Mermaid just doesn't make sense around a run-down pier side amusement park recreation. Hollywood land is an after-thought, IMHO, a cheap replica of certain areas of DHS, and not on par with other lands in Disneyland. I still like seeing Muppets, but you don't feel like you're anywhere special.

I don't really like GRR as it has no characters, no animals . . . just a silent river ride second to the one in Knotts, and with the windows of Grand Californian all over this area of DCA, I feel like I'm intruding on somebody's privacy. Soarin', I would see it if the wait was short.

I hope Burbank realizes that plopping down a $100 million (or maybe it was just $70 million) ride in a crappy area of a park (Mermaid) doesn't do much to make this area of the park popular. Mermaid's final scenes are an afterthought and very incomplete.

Walt knew that he wanted his parks to look nice and clean, like Tivoli Gardens in Europe, not like run-down pier side amusement parks, so that guests can relax and have fun. I have to say that I hate Paradise Pier and even on a subconscious level hate walking around this area of DCA. Can't say the same thing about any other Disney park I've visited.

More people ride Little Mermaid in a day than ride Star Tours, or Splash Mountain. And that's with an extra hour of Disneyland operation through Midnight tacked on.

Mermaid is averaging 20,000 to 22,000 riders per day this summer, with that brilliant Omnimover gobbling them up as quickly as they can get in line. Star Tours or Splash Mountain are lucky to break 18,000 for the day without any downtimes and an extra hour added on.

But I doubt anyone considers Star Tours or Splash Mountain a failure.

• The doctor is in

I hope Cars Land is causing other wait times to go down. When I went in March I had to skip Tower of Terror because the wait time was 75min at 7pm and I didn't want to miss elecTRONica. I also waited for over an hour to ride Toy Story Mania (at 11am) and about 45min for Soarin' Over California.

• Banned User

Well, it definitely isnt due to a lack of attendance. Iger stated to investors in his quarterly report that DCA is now drawing 50% of the guests to the resort and that DLR hotel occupancy rates are running considerably ahead of WDW and they believe it is because of CarsLand.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I hope Cars Land is causing other wait times to go down. When I went in March I had to skip Tower of Terror because the wait time was 75min at 7pm and I didn't want to miss elecTRONica. I also waited for over an hour to ride Toy Story Mania (at 11am) and about 45min for Soarin' Over California.
    Just returned from an 8 day stay. Stayed at PPH and GCH.

For most days, TOT was a walk on ! Never was on the outside on line; always in a/c comfort inside.
    Toy Story was walk on at 7am. At 8 am about 15 minutes, Later in the day 30-45 minutes.
    Mermaid always a walk on.
    Soarin was hit or miss. Walk on before 8:30; saw waits up to 70 minutes.
    Balcony was never used for Aladdin.
    Screamin was walk on before 9am. Never saw it over 35 min.
    Grizzly was backed up due to it being so hot last week. FP took care of that.

Waited 90 mins one night for RSR. Sign said 95. The ride is so much better at night.
    Hope this helps.

DCA seems to be doing fine to me. It may not look too crowded but thats only because it was build for a better crowd flow unlike Disneyland. Also feedback has been pretty great on DCA Today.

• Banned User

well, i think right now is just a slower time. people are winding down from summer and getting ready to go back to school. many kids are already back in school.

• Koubu Pilot

We went a month ago in July and left Disneyland around 9pm (Magic Morning had us worn out that Sunday). While on the tram back to Mickey and Friends, there was a tram packed with people going toward the parks. I thought to myself, "Are all these people going for Carsland or Mad T Party?" I don't think I had ever seen a tram full of people going to the parks at 9pm before on a summer trip.

From my experience from last week's visit most people rush to CarsLand when the Park opens. This is the best time to ride all the other rides, usually it gets a bit emptier during afternoon (and more crowded in Disneyland)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12