Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Short wait times at rest of DCA due to Cars Land or low attendance?

Our experience at RCR notwithstanding, [http://micechat.com/forums/cars-land-buena-vista-street-forums/169617-radiator-springs-racers-breaking-down-too-often-8.html#post1056810573], I was quite surprised to find that many of the previously premiere attractions at DCA all had very short wait times.

We were there on Sunday, July 22 and Sunday's in July are historically a busy, busy day. We saw the following wait times:

[NOTE: These wait times were based on personal experience and could very well have been statistical anomaly]:

• Soarin' Over California: 25 minutes (5:30 PM) - at similar dates/times in the past, I have seen this take anywhere from 40 - 90 minutes.
    • Tower of Terror: 20 minutes (7:00 PM) - at similar dates/times in the past, I have seen this take anywhere from 90 - 120 minutes.
    • California Screaming: 10 minutes (6:15 PM) - - at similar dates/times in the past, I have seen this take anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes.

My first thought was that maybe the opening of Cars Land had taken the pressure of off these once premiere, but now aging rides that have carried the park for the last few years. However, I wonder if it is because of lower than expected attendance at Disneyland Resorts overall?

I do not know if the attendance is lower than expected, but I do know that originally AP and Employee passholders were blacked out until the middle of August, but that blackout was recently lifted.

Thoughts, theories...?

[OP NOTE: I have always loved DCA and still do. This is not a bash or an attempt to denigrate the park. Simply, I just noticed shorter lines than in the past and thought it odd. Also I should clarify I was wondering if attendance was down over the entire Resort, not just DCA.]
    Last edited by ratchy99; 07-23-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

• Banned User

Re: Short wait times at rest of DCA due to Cars Land or low attendance?

DCA is getting attendance numbers it has never recieved before. So, it definitely isnt due to low attendance.

• MaliBOOMer

I am wondering where you are getting 90-120 min. for Tower of Terror. DCA's attendance is up, well that is what I have been told. So it is probably Cars Land. as RSR is seeing 2 hour plus waits.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Minion

maybe its because its dinner time and/or people are heading into Disneyland to go on a few rides then prepare for fireworks and Fantasmic

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I am wondering where you are getting 90-120 min. for Tower of Terror.
    This was a personal experience - and it is entirely possible that it was a statistical anomaly; but the time we went, the line wrapped around the entire queue area outside, then the entire queue area inside, then after the library room Rod Serling Twilight Zone presentation, the line filled the entire steam room area before you get to go to the elevator.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ratchy99 View Post
    ...I do not know if the attendance is lower than expected, but I do know that originally AP and Employee passholders were blacked out until the middle of August, but that blackout was recently lifted.

Thoughts, theories...?
    Others are reporting similar experiences...

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    ...We have also seen the empty stores on Buena vista street. The lack of a line for the ice cream parlour. I went into cars land a couple weeks ago to grab dinner at flo's and the place was a ghost town.

And now we find out that they are allowing their employees to bring people into the park for free. No matter where the attendance is, you don't bring more people in for free unless you need them to spend money on food and merchandise.

Something is definately up with attendance and revenue at Disneyland. And usually when you smell smoke, there's fire.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• WDW CP Spring 2013

GRR wait times seem longer to me this year, but I think what you posted is true in general

Another thing that affects wait times is DCA's much longer operating hours this year. Last year DCA was open 10am-10pm but this year it's 8am-11pm (7am-11pm including EE). That's a 25% increase in park capacity which helps spread the crowds out over the course of the day.

Hmmm I went 4 days ago, and GRR area seemed crowded like crazy, of course it was hot so there would be a lot of people there but it was a 90 min wait at around 3pm. Soarin looked packed as usual, 30 min. Paradise Pier's TSMM always seemed to be crowded a long with carsland, but elsewhere not too bad

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

ToT...for the most part I see has been 40 mins this summer...mainly because one of the 3 towers is down

Grizzley and Matterhorn for some reason have been up this year....but yeah in general Carsland seems to be eating up many of the people in DCA

and believe it or not I have seen many of the shows on Buena Vistas Street get big crowds....also the Mad T party eats up a lot of people too

But yeah DCA is getting more people on average then Disneyland...according to Al

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ToT...for the most part I see has been 40 mins this summer...mainly because one of the 3 towers is down

Grizzley and Matterhorn for some reason have been up this year....but yeah in general Carsland seems to be eating up many of the people in DCA

and believe it or not I have seen many of the shows on Buena Vistas Street get big crowds....also the Mad T party eats up a lot of people too

But yeah DCA is getting more people on average then Disneyland...according to Al

All three towers and all 6 load/unload stations were open on Tower of Terror yesterday.

Went to DCA 2 weeks ago and the long lines sure did keep me away from midway mania. The park walkways were packed. Not a big fan of those 3 rides and didn't even check the lines aside from seeing a 40 min wait for soaring over california which I skipped.

Glad for high capacity rides like mermaid and junkyard jamboree giving me a great go-to when park lines get long. Ride lines might be shorter too due to people like me standing in line for those cone soda cups and radiator springs CDs. I'll plan to spend 2x as much time as I used to on my next trip to DCA so I'll spend more time in lines for more rides I guess.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon:1056810798
    Yeah but that doesn't mean they are staying. I just checked mousewait and tot is 20 minutes and soarin is 5.

It could be that people are going in, getting their fast passes for rsr and woc and then heading out for the day, leaving the rest of the park empty .

That would actually explain the bizzarro "surprise" fast passes being given out.

My theory is that most ordinary people only care for Cars Land and not much more of the rest of the park. I mean I know that growing up our "day at Disneyland" would start after lunch and end at about 5. I don't an ordinary local family that doesn't know anything about Disneyland would get there when the park opens, so let's say they got there around 10. They get in the park at 10:30 and go to RSR which has a 2 hour wait. By the time they get off they need to go to the bathroom, and when they're done it's already 12:45. They head over to Flo's for lunch, and with a family of four lunch takes about 25 minutes. At 1:10 they go to Luigi's which shows a 75 minute wait, so when they're done with that it's 2:25. Mater's will take them about 20 minutes, so by the time they finish everything in Cars Land it's already 2:45. They make it over to TSM which takes them about an hour (time: 3:45) to do. Then they spend 30 mins at the Challenge Trail (4:15) before Little Sarah wants to go on the Little Mermaid (4: 30). They then get a spot on the parade corridor, and by 5:30 the family is all tired out and ready to go. Because I'm assuming a large majority of the Cars Land crowd is like the family I described, it's no surprise that the other rides are being skipped.
    Last edited by Quarar44; 07-24-2012 at 09:11 PM.

• Banned User

Ordinary families that go to WDW defintely care for rides like Soarin, Toy Story Mania, ToT, ITTBAB and broadway caliber shows like Alladin. What is so different about people who go to DLR?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast