Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: "Disney is buying six flags MM"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I think Disney is planning on building a bunch of soundstages in Santa Clarita so maybe that's where the rumor is coming from?
    that could totally be it, thanks for the heads up! I'll look into it more and help get my boyfriend's coworkers back on track. honestly I think they would all be thrilled if this had any truth to it, but I wouldn't appreciate it much.

Bruce: I'm sure after my bf mentioned this he had wished that he'd kept his mouth shut, because I immediately started thinking out loud for ten minutes, and it sounded a lot like what you said. basically it would be silly to buy SFMM and try to market it to people wanting to visit the DLR and be immersed in disney magic, because not only do you have to stray from the resort, but you have to stray FAR from the resort. but if there was a way to attract a different crowd, i.e. a comic book fan crowd, they could potentially build an entire new resort.

but there's one thing I'm still hung up on, and that's what they would do with all the current rides. how lame to just take all of the already built roller coasters, rename them and slap a little more theming on. yet what are the other options? bulldozing it and starting from scratch? not only would that be a huge waste of money but like others said on this thread, if they want to start from scratch they already have the space to do it, and if they wanted a new location they could find a hell of a lot better place than the side of that mountain.

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I think Disney is planning on building a bunch of soundstages in Santa Clarita so maybe that's where the rumor is coming from?
    The Disney Store at the Westfield Valencia Mall was being moved to a new location in the Patio Area of the mall. Yet another point to ponder.
    Sounds like Eisner still wants a Six Flags park.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Ahh, but the whole idea of wrapping the park around the mountain was to incorporate the natural terrain into the rides, and make the place look bigger than it really is. When you tuck the ride into a natural canyon you don't need to build huge 200' support towers - Just dig holes for footers, and a 20' tower on 180' ground rise.

Walked the grounds before it even opened (at 10-ish...) so I know the place.. Dad was selling Souveniers to this new division of Newhall Land & Farming Co.
    They evicted Bleep and Bloop and the other Trolls, installed Superman and other licensed Marvel properties - Might as well buy it and go Wall to Wall Marvel.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

If this ever happened, it would be a pretty smart move for a number of reasons. It would be a perfect place to test out marvel offerings. It would be a way to tap into the teen-young adult market that has seemed to elude disney. It would also attract people who aren't fans of disney in general or who are ignorant or stubborn to learn what disney has to offer(a lot of my fiends lol).

But imo I wouldn't want this to happen. I have always wanted to see what disney's take on a thrill park would be. Coasters brightly lit, detailed queues, beautiful landscaping, Immersive thrill rides...the place could be truly epic and different from what is the disney norm, while keeping disney quality.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

I haven't gone there in years. is it a year-round or seasonal park? is there available land around it for expansion? I would probably go there if Disney ran it.

I remember that there was talk of Disney buying Knotts Berry Farm which didn't make sense since Knotts is like Disneyland where you have to buy commercial property in order to expand.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Walked the grounds before it even opened (at 10-ish...) so I know the place.. Dad was selling Souveniers to this new division of Newhall Land & Farming Co.
    They evicted Bleep and Bloop and the other Trolls, installed Superman and other licensed Marvel properties - Might as well buy it and go Wall to Wall Marvel.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Those are actually DC characters, so they'd have to change up those a bit to be considered Marvel. But a name/theme change is not awfully hard to do.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^the amount of money to fix the freeway (yeah trying to get off just for Six Flags can take 10-20 mins on busy days)

Now think of a Disney Park type crowds...yeah it would costs millions just to get the freeway and street ready for those kinda crowds

They'd have to build at least one hotel (two to be smart)

Then this third park is like 1 hour and half to two hours from Disneyland? Seems like a bad plan to me...just start fresh near Disneyland will cost about the same and you'll make more off people needing to stay days in your hotels and theme parks

Since I love thrill rides I wouldn't mind seeing Disney-level infrastructure (queue-/crowd-control) supporting the big iron at MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Ahh, but the whole idea of wrapping the park around the mountain was to incorporate the natural terrain into the rides, and make the place look bigger than it really is. When you tuck the ride into a natural canyon you don't need to build huge 200' support towers - Just dig holes for footers, and a 20' tower on 180' ground rise.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Superman, Batman, and the Green Lantern are DC properties, not Marvel.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Well it'd be interesting to see what would happen if they did buy it. Then again, would that mean they'd get full ownership over all of the Six Flags parks? I'm not a big fan of the franchise and am curious if it is owned by own major company and would require an
    entire takeover by a company purchasing one of its parks.
    Six Flags, Inc. has sold off individual and groups of parks in the past. Frontier City, the park that was expanded into today's Six Flags, Inc. is itself again separate from Six Flags, and being run by the very people who grew it, took over Six Flags, and then were booted out!

Back when Six Flags was in the midst of bankruptcy the Company released a short list of parks they would not sell. If I recall correctly Six Flags Magic Mountain was not on this list, meaning Six Flags was open to selling the park, even to developers instead of another park operator.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Six Flags, Inc. has sold off individual and groups of parks in the past. Frontier City, the park that was expanded into today's Six Flags, Inc. is itself again separate from Six Flags, and being run by the very people who grew it, took over Six Flags, and then were booted out!

Back when Six Flags was in the midst of bankruptcy the Company released a short list of parks they would not sell. If I recall correctly Six Flags Magic Mountain was not on this list, meaning Six Flags was open to selling the park, even to developers instead of another park operator.
    This was true... for about five minutes.
    <<SF stated, however, that it would be sold to a company that would continue to operate it as a park, and that closing Magic Mountain was not a possibility. And Then: Spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg said that upon further evaluation, the company decided that the Los Angeles parks remained too valuable to relinquish, as sales were increasing, and that the park would not be sold. Other parks were sold as a package...>>

Anyway, The Disney-to-buy-MM rumor has been going around since the late 70s, maybe even before this time? I remember casual conversation between thempark fans back in the 1980s (no internet, so you can imagine how slow the rumors were to arrive and slow to change). In the end, that is all this is I think... just another rumor.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

heres what i think. they won't be buying mm for some good reasons 1 it's about a hour and a 1/2 from disneyland and 2 they would have to gut all of the coasters. and that would cost about a half a billion. and then waste the other half and a billion for making the park.
    and hoestly toystorys parking lot is a good place to go.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12