Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

My family usually refers to any Disney park as Disney World and often get the two parks confused. I've given up trying to correct them.

• Minion

I think the whole "One Disney" or "Disney Parks" concept backfired on the company in a way. I read tripadvisor and yelp a lot, and I often see people planning trips to California say, "We're not going to do Disney because we did Disney in Florida." They now assume that all Disneylands are the same thing, so if you see one you've seen them all. And this was the intention of the company. When I see this I try to explain that some things, such as Matterhorn, Alice, World of Color and Carsland, are unique to the Anaheim parks and found at no other Disney parks. But it still seems to go in one ear and out the other. It's all just "Disney" to so many people now. So the company is missing out on some potential revenue, because if people knew the differences they might spend the money to see the other parks.

• Minion

Well, adding to the tunnel idea is the urban legend of the couple whose kid was kidnapped and they took them to the hidden tunnels to watch footage of the park and catch the kidnapper.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Magicguy View Post
    "Disneyland isnt open 365 days a year"

This used to be true. Up until about 20 - 30 years ago, the park closed one or two days a week in the off season.

---------- Post added 07-27-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
    And the worst one of all "Did you know Walt Disney was a Nazi?" jesus ....
    Many years ago, B'nai B'rith, an international Jewish service organization did a background check on Walt Disney, investigating allegations of anti-semitism. This Jewish organization found there was NO TRUTH to these accusations. They confirmed that Walt was a tough guy to work for, but he surrounded himself with simply the best people he could find, Christian, Jewish, whatever. He just looked for the best.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Many years ago, B'nai B'rith, an international Jewish service organization did a background check on Walt Disney, investigating allegations of anti-semitism. This Jewish organization found there was NO TRUTH to these accusations. They confirmed that Walt was a tough guy to work for, but he surrounded himself with simply the best people he could find, Christian, Jewish, whatever. He just looked for the best.
    Yes! Someone--I believe it was Neal Gabler in his book Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination, but it might have been someone else--talked about this exact thing. Walt was a demanding employer, but not a racist one, and had several Jewish employees whose talents he very much appreciated.

• Minion

Heard this today at the park: "[referencing Aladdin's Oasis] That used to be the Aladdin thing, but they moved it to the other park." Err...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I think the whole "One Disney" or "Disney Parks" concept backfired on the company in a way. I read tripadvisor and yelp a lot, and I often see people planning trips to California say, "We're not going to do Disney because we did Disney in Florida." They now assume that all Disneylands are the same thing, so if you see one you've seen them all. And this was the intention of the company. When I see this I try to explain that some things, such as Matterhorn, Alice, World of Color and Carsland, are unique to the Anaheim parks and found at no other Disney parks. But it still seems to go in one ear and out the other. It's all just "Disney" to so many people now. So the company is missing out on some potential revenue, because if people knew the differences they might spend the money to see the other parks.
    I still don't get why they do this... Disney is ALREADY a worldwide, household name... no reason to make it all corporate branded... they should have emphasized the uniqueness of each park and sell each location as a special experience

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234:1056812789
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicguy View Post
    "Disneyland isnt open 365 days a year"

This used to be true. Up until about 20 - 30 years ago, the park closed one or two days a week in the off season.

---------- Post added 07-27-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
    And the worst one of all "Did you know Walt Disney was a Nazi?" jesus ....
    Thank you the facts to back it up !

• See Ya Real Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    I don't correct people at all, I just sort of stand there feeling inwardly superior .
    I have a co-worker whose only memory of Disneyland was a log ride. Now this was nearly 50 years ago...as far as I know there was no log ride at Disneyland 50 years ago.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    I have a co-worker whose only memory of Disneyland was a log ride. Now this was nearly 50 years ago...as far as I know there was no log ride at Disneyland 50 years ago.
    They were probably getting that confused with the Log Ride at Knotts which opened 43 years ago.

People think that Disneyland is in Los Angeles county but it isnt. (even though it was originally suppose to be in the San Fernando Valley in Burbank)
    "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

My favorite error- that's even in some of the Disney videos- was that the gold surveyor's disc in the castle entryway is the center of the park. They debunked that on this website-the center of the park is near the hub. The disc was part of two used to ensure that the carousel, the castle entry and main street lined up.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

• Minion

Space Mt first opened at DLR. False!

Walt Disney Loved Smoking. True!

The top one that drives me crazy - "there are 3 separate rooms at the beginning of Indy". I go crazy constantly trying to explain 1) how it actually works, and 2) how stupid and unnecessarily complex it would be to have separate tracks. Likewise, having to explain that the car does NOT back up in the boulder scene but rather the wall shifts forward. I would think this would all be common sense but its really not to a lot of people. For some reason, the "simplest explaination" mentality doesn't translate to Disney rides lol.

Others that irritate me:

1) Space Mountain came before the Matterhorn (wow, waaayyy off - I actually had someone bet me $10 that I was wrong. Easiest money I've ever made ;-)
    2) There's no way the show buildings for Pirates/Indy or HM/Splash are right next to each other (I tell them to look at google satellite maps to prove them wrong)
    3) I've stopped bothering trying to explain the Pepper's ghost effect in the HM ballroom and getting people to see the giant pane of glass right in front of them.

I guess its a tribute to the imagineers that they are so consistently able to fool people to this day. Its not like I'm trying to ruin the "magic" for people - I just like people to understand the brilliant creativity that produces these amazing special effects. Even when I know how things are done, I always marvel at them anyways.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    They were probably getting that confused with the Log Ride at Knotts which opened 43 years ago.
    That was exactly my guess.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast