Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The Pumpkin King

Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

Quote Originally Posted by stradamati View Post
    The top one that drives me crazy - "there are 3 separate rooms at the beginning of Indy". I go crazy constantly trying to explain 1) how it actually works, and 2) how stupid and unnecessarily complex it would be to have separate tracks. Likewise, having to explain that the car does NOT back up in the boulder scene but rather the wall shifts forward. I would think this would all be common sense but its really not to a lot of people. For some reason, the "simplest explaination" mentality doesn't translate to Disney rides lol.

Yeah but for story wise, there are 3 doors. If they really think that ther are three different doors and that the jeep actually backs up, then that means the magic is working. When I was a kid up tosometimes in my teens I believed there were really 3 doors because I belived the story.

Then later when I wanted to know how they did it, is when I looked it up. People who want to know can do the same.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

My all time favorite is..... Let's go ride MAGIC MOUNTAIN ! My responsce is ok but it's almost 100 miles away

---------- Post added 07-30-2012 at 01:32 PM ----------

Or my new one , my brother-in-law calling the radiator spring racers "the sprint racers" every week we go. You would think after riding 10+ times you would know the name
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Like many of us I have the issue when I tell people I'm going to Disneyland, they ask if I'm going to the one in California or Florida. I've given up correcting them and just answer. I could waste my breath trying to 'educate' them, but they don't tend to learn from it.

The latest one...I spent time with a family this weekend that claim to be great Disney fans, have APs, etc. When they were telling me about their trip to Disneyland last month, everytime they mentioned RSRs they called it 'The Cars ride.' I bit my tongue.

My parents have no sense of direction so every trip with them usually includes several variations of this conversation.

Mom while standing in NOS: "Let's go on the canoes next."*starts walking fast through crowds*

Me: *trying to catch up* "Wait why are you heading into Frontierland?"

I swear that spot where Adventureland, NOS, and Frontierland meet is like the Burmuda Triangle of Disneyland since it seems like my relatives always start walking in the wrong direction when we pass through there.

Not so much facts but people calling rides by anything but their actual names is my pet peeve.

The worst offender: AUTOTOPIA. Argghh! It's AU-TO-PIA!

It's amazing, and a little interesting, how people can be standing right in front of the giant Autopia marquee and still call it by the wrong name.

The effect that main street is built in a way that it looks like less of a walk leaving the park. I don't know how much more I can simplify it, but still nobody understands that the imagineers make it look like a shorter walk. They're like "but its the same distance"

• Fastest Man Alive

That the park is closed on Holidays/Weekends.

After all these years, they still don't get it. I can understand thinking there are tunnels, or that the Matterhorn is called Magic Mountain or thinking Walt is nazi or whatever. If you're not local and don't follow stuff, it's easy to be led astray by stories and urban legends.

But c'mon. Common sense dictates a vacation destination is open when people are on vacation.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• See Ya Real Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    They were probably getting that confused with the Log Ride at Knotts which opened 43 years ago.
    Yeah but she swears it was Disneyland. And after discussing another co-workers daughters love of Splash, of course she believes it to be that ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Not so much facts but people calling rides by anything but their actual names is my pet peeve.

The worst offender: AUTOTOPIA. Argghh! It's AU-TO-PIA!

It's amazing, and a little interesting, how people can be standing right in front of the giant Autopia marquee and still call it by the wrong name.
    OMG that drives me nuts too!!!

• Disney Obsessed

After reading these I can't think of any that haven't already been mentioned, but I always over-hear crazy things lol. And when people repeatedly tell me something that is wrong I just go with it... lol and let them figure it out.

Though does it make any or all of you happy when your friends and co-workers come to you for questions and advice? I love helping people who don't go often plan a trip to the parks! It kinda makes my day

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

From my oldest brother, a few months ago: "Isn't the Haunted Mansion that ride where you ride in a teacup and look at ghosts in a mirror?"

And just earlier this week, "Is that ride called the Autobahn still there?" (I'd be happy if he called it Autotopia!) After this comment I just gave him an icy cold stare and said, "Dang! When it comes to Disney you could be so d*** ignorant!"
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 07-31-2012 at 04:43 AM.

• Future Imagineer! =D

For a while my mom called Grizzly River Run, Roaring Rapids!

I really hate it when people call HM "The Haunted House." My brother-in-law does it.... It's seriously not a haunted house!

One time I heard a girl say that she wanted to go to WDW because it was the original that Walt built. My head almost exploded. On that particular day I was really grumpy, I think I even told my mom the girl should be expelled from Disneyland
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Overheard from two teens by the Partners statue:
    "See how Walt Disney is pointing with two fingers? That's because when he posed for the statue he had a cigarette in his hand."

I love it when no one believes:
    • there's a half-court basketball court in the top of the Matterhorn
    • many of the Splash Mountain animatronics came from America Sings,
    • the RoA is only about 6 feet deep
    • the subs never go below water
    • it's a Bear atop GRR, not a wolf!
    Last edited by vnormth; 07-31-2012 at 01:54 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    OMG LMBO!!! Too funny. Lemme guess, he/she is Gen-X or older? (Studio 54 in NYC)
    Gen Xers would have been children or not yet born during 54's heyday!

---------- Post added 07-31-2012 at 04:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Many years ago, B'nai B'rith, an international Jewish service organization did a background check on Walt Disney, investigating allegations of anti-semitism. This Jewish organization found there was NO TRUTH to these accusations. They confirmed that Walt was a tough guy to work for, but he surrounded himself with simply the best people he could find, Christian, Jewish, whatever. He just looked for the best.
    This. As I recall Walt Disney also won an award from a Jewish organization. And he did a number of anti-Nazi cartoons in the 1940s.

There's also the old chestnut about how Walt is cryogenically frozen somewhere...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer28 View Post
    The effect that main street is built in a way that it looks like less of a walk leaving the park. I don't know how much more I can simplify it, but still nobody understands that the imagineers make it look like a shorter walk. They're like "but its the same distance"
    Another Disney Urban Myth.

While "some" folks may percieve a shorter walk, the fact is that Main Street was not consciously designed by the Imagineers to have this effect.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast