Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

I know this is a bit overboard but when anyone ever says Disney World I usually correct them and say that it's "Walt" Disney World and explained to them that it was to be named Disney World but since Walt Died before its opening his brother dedicated his name to the park and renamed the resort Walt Disney World.yeah I know that's a bit much but sometimes I can't help myself.

When people refer to the Magic Kingdom as Disney World. sometimes I think people don't even know that its Called the Magic Kingdom and just stick with the name Disney World.

My girlfriend was shocked at how huge Walt Disney World was when I showed it to her on Google Maps. When I explained to her all the different rides in Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios and EPCOT she thought those were the land names and it was all in one park.

people were a bit skeptical when I told them that Walt Disney's Plan for EPCOT was a true working City with suburbs, apartment complexes and a major mass transit system using Monorails and People Movers.

One of my own misconceptions is I thought Walt Disney Worlds layout was just The Seven Seas Lagoon and each park branching out on the shores of the lake, MK being north, EPCOT being south, DHS being East and DAK being west.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Princess View Post
    My parents have no sense of direction so every trip with them usually includes several variations of this conversation.

Mom while standing in NOS: "Let's go on the canoes next."*starts walking fast through crowds*

Me: *trying to catch up* "Wait why are you heading into Frontierland?"

I swear that spot where Adventureland, NOS, and Frontierland meet is like the Burmuda Triangle of Disneyland since it seems like my relatives always start walking in the wrong direction when we pass through there.

I sooooo agree with this. It seems to be the Burmuda Triangle for many ppl, mostly the GP! When I go w/ casual fans of the park, this is the place where most of them get lost or turned around.

---------- Post added 08-01-2012 at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Gen Xers would have been children or not yet born during 54's heyday!

Oh trust me, we (Gen-x'ers) know of Studio 54. We may have been too young to be of clubbing age, but we heard stories thru the 1980s, saw a movie in the 1990s., and attempted to revive it in the 2000s.

When I asked this question to the poster, my guess is that they were in their 30s or older (Gen-X or Jones Generation or Baby Boomer)
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Oh trust me, we (Gen-x'ers) know of Studio 54. We may have been too young to be of clubbing age, but we heard stories thru the 1980s, saw a movie in the 1990s., and attempted to revive it in the 2000s.

When I asked this question to the poster, my guess is that they were in their 30s or older (Gen-X or Jones Generation or Baby Boomer)
    Maybe that was more for the front end of the Gen Xers than the tail end, then. I'm the very end of the Gen X year range, and I can honestly say I didn't hear that much about 54, and that was LIVING in New York City. It was seen as that outdated 70s thing so nobody had an interest in it. Our clubs were the Limelight, L'Amour, Palladium, Academy, The Ritz (which was in the 54 space for a while), CBGB and Club USA and those were the ones we heard stories about and snuck into when we hit 13 or 14.

Quote Originally Posted by vnormth View Post

I love it when no one believes:
    • there's a half-court basketball court in the top of the Matterhorn
    I remember seeing the basketball court from the Sky Buckets before they added the tunnels and the Yeti.

And I recently had a conversation with somebody who insisted that the Rainbow Ridge buildings at Thunder Mountain Railroad were the original Nature's Wonderland buildings even though I had seen with my own eyes the current buildings when they were under construction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Brunswick View Post
    And I recently had a conversation with somebody who insisted that the Rainbow Ridge buildings at Thunder Mountain Railroad were the original Nature's Wonderland buildings even though I had seen with my own eyes the current buildings when they were under construction.
    Actually, that is true. Those buildings were scattered on the hill behind the Main Train Thru Nature's Wonderland load area. During the construction of Big Thunder, they were moved together and repainted to become the town of Rainbow Ridge.

• Monorail Lover

The misconception that always drives me absolutely crazy, but I usually keep my mouth shut about it because so many people on here believe it and it makes them happy, is that the Hatbox Ghost is going to come back. The whole reason it was taken out is because the effect never did work right.
    Signature down for reimagineering.

• Minion

I pitch a Disneyland story to the paper I write for about once a year. Once, they sent my editor instead of me.

Her story referenced "The Cinderella Castle", suggested that you get "the FastPass" for Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, and questioned whether or not the drops on Pirates were added during the Jack Sparrow refurb .

Also, a friend of mine recently asked me to settle a Disneyland dispute. Her sisters insisted that PotC used to be the Chicken of the Sea Restaurant. I sent her a link to Yesterland showing that Chicken of the Sea was in Fantasyland, and she was very grateful .

As for me, for over a decade I was under the delusion that Don Bluth directed Balto. Not Disneyland related, but as an animation fan I'm still kicking myself over that one .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Brunswick View Post
    As disneylandfan95 noted, this is pretty much true. Tony Baxter did re-use a number of the Mine Train structures. However, you're not entirely wrong--you no doubt saw the construction of additional buildings, like the Big Thunder Saloon, or the different sidewalks and platforms the buildings sit on. Here's one example of a re-used building, the El Dorado:

BTMRR:

Rainbow Ridge at Nature's Wonderland:

The arch-roofed building just behind the El Dorado was re-used as well.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-02-2012 at 07:13 AM.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

What I hear most often is mis-naming of the castles, Disneyland's being called Cinderella's Castle, and WDW's Sleeping Beauty's.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

EVERYWHERE I go in Disneyland I constantly hear people calling Haunted Mansion the "Haunted House." And it's not like a once in a while thing. I hear it multiple times each day! I've even heard "Haunted House Holiday" and "Haunted House Christmas."

I always get mixed up that you can wrap around BTMRR and not Splash. I always get that mixed up.

• Minion

Also, my supervisor at work recently said the last time she was at Disneyland was when "Tiny Toons" was under construction. Yeah, I don't think Warner Bros. would ever let Buster and Babs Bunny (no relation) come to Disneyland. If you look on the lineup of the Ink and Paint Club in the Car Toon Spin queue, they won't even let Daffy come to do his piano duet with Donald! (BTW, I think she meant Toontown).
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Paging Steve DeGaetano!

This just happened yesterday. I was in Old Sacramento waiting to ride their steam train. While talking to one of the car attendants about the trains at DL and Knott's, he mentioned that a former Trains CM told him that all the trains were between narrow and wide gauge in order to be in the right scale w/ the rest of the park. Not only that, but Walt had personally built all the trains to make sure this was so!

I told him that while Walt was indeed a railfan and did build a model train for his backyard, he took great pride in purchasing authentic rolling stock for the DLRR.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by LacyBelle View Post
    Like many of us I have the issue when I tell people I'm going to Disneyland, they ask if I'm going to the one in California or Florida. I've given up correcting them and just answer. I could waste my breath trying to 'educate' them, but they don't tend to learn from it.
    I've been on the other end of that one.

Online Friend: "I'm going to Disneyland this vacation!"
    Me: "Awesome! Which one?"
    Them: "Theres only one Disneyland. The park in Florida is Disney World!"
    Me: "So Anaheim? You could have meant Paris, Tokyo, or Hong Kong."
    Them: "I have no idea what you're talking about. Disneyland is American."
    Me: grumble...grumble...grumble

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345