Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Non-Minion

Has anyone else felt this way while being AP holder or frequent visitor of DLR?

As a kid our family was lucky if we went at least once a year...EXTREMELY lucky if we went twice a year! Looking back at those times as a kid there is so much more that stands out to me and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I knew this was my ONLY time I get to go for the entire year, and back then there was no Mice Chat, no Mice Age, no internet to hold you over till next year. Just the souveniers and pictures. With that mentality even as a kid I valued every single minute I spent at the park! Crowded or not I didn't care, I made friends in line and before I knew it I was at the front. I miss that!

I bought my first AP when I was 22 (2003) and my gf at the time and I used it countless times on our days off (which happen to be the same days in the middle of the week!). We loved going up and spending a day there, if it got too hot or crowded we would leave..and my entire mentality of going to the DLR started to evolve. 9 years and 9 AP's later I finally started noticing something different about my trip...I was still having a blast and having fun but...the value was slowly dimishing each trip. I felt like my perspective switched from "I need to value and appreciate this place" to "This place needs to value and appreciate me". It stopped being a place I was privileged to be at and became a place I felt should be privileged to have me there, I became self-entitled and prentitious when it came to the DLR...NOT GOOD

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I kind of miss those times when I only had that one time a year where we would go for a day or two and that was it. Where the park became so much more than just a place to go on a day off. It was a destination for an amazing vacation, a day that was marked on my calendar months in advanced and closely watched with anxious excitement. It was a GOAL for us as a family to make it to Disneyland and I feel like I've lost site of that. With the ability to go as much as possible or whenever it's convenient to me just kind of kills the magic and excitement that it once generated...all this sort of just hit me at once about a month ago and the more I think about it the more it makes sense, at least to me.

I still love going, especially now that my daughter can ride all rides that are 40 inches and under but I don't want her thinking that this is a place we can just go to for whatever reason. I want her to value and appreciate the park as much as I did as a kid and I think I might finally drop our AP's and make this a destination once again. A place we save up and spend a few days enjoying once a year and that's it. I think it would be great for her...and especially for me...

Does anyone or has anyone ever gotten to this point as well? Did you have to change it up as well?
    Last edited by christianAdam; 07-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Has anyone else felt this way while being AP holder or frequent visitor of DLR?

When DL feels like you're at the mall, it's time to pull back.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Re: Has anyone else felt this way while being AP holder or frequent visitor of DLR?

I totally agree. I do admit that having an AP makes me feel less excited for the next trip.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    When DL feels like you're at the mall, it's time to pull back.
    It definitely doesn't have that "mall" feel yet and hope that never happens but I see your point

• Suspended

I see what you mean. You do not want to take for granted these daily/weekly/monthly trips and it might lose some of the magic and excitement for your daughter. Do you want her for a month before your trip to count down the days so excited and she can hardly sleep the night before? Or will she just be like, oh we're going to Disneyland like we do every month?

If I we're you, I would probably try to cut down the trips. Maybe go for special events only? Or go once a summer. Make it something special each year that is a huge event for everyone so then they have something to look forward to each year.

If you end up going once a year, it could be fun to spend a night or two in one of the hotel even if you live like 15 minutes away. It is exciting and makes the trip to Disneyland that much more fun and memorable, more exclusive. You know too much of a good thing is not always that good for you.

• Banned User

I used to hop on the 405 after work, sit in traffic for 2 hours and make it to the park just in time for a few things in the evening. Every week. Often multiple times a week. Rumors of a soft opening for _____? I was down there. Rumors of Murphy's debut that went on for multiple days? I was there. It was turning into a place to meet up with friends where we could share some time together, since our passes were already paid for it was like 'free' entertainment!

Now that I live 300+ miles away, my trips aren't as frequent (about once every 1-3 months) ... but I look forward to my visits more and more. I don't think I'd get rid of my AP but there's a certain appreciation you have for the parks when it's a destination, not just something to do.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    I see what you mean. You do not want to take for granted these daily/weekly/monthly trips and it might lose some of the magic and excitement for your daughter. Do you want her for a month before your trip to count down the days so excited and she can hardly sleep the night before? Or will she just be like, oh we're going to Disneyland like we do every month?

If I we're you, I would probably try to cut down the trips. Maybe go for special events only? Or go once a summer. Make it something special each year that is a huge event for everyone so then they have something to look forward to each year.

If you end up going once a year, it could be fun to spend a night or two in one of the hotel even if you live like 15 minutes away. It is exciting and makes the trip to Disneyland that much more fun and memorable, more exclusive. You know too much of a good thing is not always that good for you.
    THIS

We have already began cutting down the trips, and now that she's in school it kind of helps out as far as scheduling a trip to the parks. I like the idea of going once a year for 3 or 4 days and that's it.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    THIS

We have already began cutting down the trips, and now that she's in school it kind of helps out as far as scheduling a trip to the parks. I like the idea of going once a year for 3 or 4 days and that's it.
    Yes this way you can drink, sleep, eat, and live the magic of Disney for 4 full days a year rather than just going there in an afternoon and then going home that night. Get the experience of a tourist because I feel that that would be much more fun for children than going frequently on short little day trips.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

When I was younger....i went once a year two days....now I have an AP...is it as special well maybe not in the same way but.....I have gone to DL 4 days this summer...and I want to go back...but am going to make my self wait until my friends with lower AP's can go

Maybe the people that go by themselves are ruining it...but if you have some good friends that you like to travel with and have small adventures every month or so...a AP for Disneyland is a blessing.

With the prices increase it might also be the last year my friends EVER get an AP....so I will treasure this next year and get as much value and enjoyment out of it....but unless I have a good job...Soon even the lowest AP's just won't be worth it to me anyway

• Still Dizzy

I definitely start to feel that way after a few months of having an AP. We actually decided to only do AP's every third year. We do passes to the other parks (knott's, sfmm, univeral) during the "off" years.

The normal days end up being a bit of the "well, what do you wanna do today?", "uhh, disney I guess". I do make sure that atleast 3 times during having a pass we do a hotel 2-3 day trip and those are always more exciting than our normal days. We are actually doing our summer hotel trip this weekend and the kids are super excited.

• formerly very helpful

If I can see anything good from the current price hikes for APs, it will be that Disneyland visits may become more special again. I remember not being able to sleep the night before, like a kid before Christmas morning. I miss that excitement.
    Like it's been said before, "too much of a good thing..."

• Blew By You

So far, it has not happened. I don't expect that feeling to happen, since we live about 70 minutes away. I have had some less than stellar experiences during some of out visits, but most times, we have had good visits.

I still have to drive 400 miles to get there so it is not like going to the mall, but I find that I do go to the parks differently than most people. usually 2 or 3 times a year, sometimes 4. it is still worth it to go with the AP.

when I'm there for several days, I may go a few hours here and a few hours there and do other things in between. if it is a short stay I usually stay longer in the parks. I don't think I take it for granted, but I don't feel like I have to do everything each time I go. if the AP get too expensive I may have to go with multi-day park hopper passes, then I would feel like I have to spend as much time as possible in the parks.

I've heard that some people that live within commuting distance feel they visit too often and loose some of the magic. I wonder what the optimum distance would be, close enough for an easy drive, but not too close to visit too often. maybe somewhere around 2 or 3 hours drive.

I had a pass for a year in 2007/08 and felt exactly the same as you! Now I go for a day in June and a day in October and it's so much more enjoyable . 83 days to go until my next trip...

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As the opposite type of guest, I have no problem believing that Disneyland is much more "special" to me than those who go often.

I go less than once every two years (the last year aside where I somehow managed an extra 3 day trip in the spring) and my response to the experience just seems to be so very different from the average AP guest.

When I observed "teens" (I don't feel too bad saying that as a 21 year old...) just hanging out, loitering, running around in the bushes, sitting around out on the top of the Space Mt. queue chatting, and trying to sneak down the caves of Indy to skip the line, I realized that to many people, the place just isn't that special. They are obviously very framiliar with the park and not quite "taking in" all of the detail that has made Disneyland so fameous.

To me, I still experience the week of not sleeping in anticipation before a trip, the long flight, the ride into the resort, the complete multi-day immersion, and then the wind down at the end where you are sad about having to go home. Not to mention the eagerness to make it back some day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast