Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Children Discourged From Riding Jungle Cruise?

people have not gotten dumber, but we as a whole have completely lost common sense, and the ability to accept responsibility for our actions, leading to more and more lawsuits.

While I HATE when companies have to try to 'idiot proof' everything, I understand why they have to.

I do not think the rollers at the dock would work, due to the boat shifting in the water as it is loaded/unloaded. You would also need to consider making sure the gap between the boat and dock is as small as possible, because all it would take is someone taking a mis-step, and tripping or whatnot in the gap to file a lawsuit.

• near Anaheim Ice

This also will keep guests from putting their hands/arms into the water... which happens all too often (even with safety spiels) and is really, really gross and unsafe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Well said! One might even say this is all mesh ado about nothing.

thank you i loled

---------- Post added 07-29-2012 at 08:56 PM ----------

I know let’s put up plexus glass no wait in about 2 weeks you won’t be able to see thru that either because people will insist in scratching their name or some other nonsense in to it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    it's unfortunate, and parents can't always control if their child quickly puts their hands out and gets them pinched. safety for children "must be priority one".
    I disagree. If my parents had told me not to stick my hand outside the boat, I would have obeyed them. And if I had tried to disobey them, they would have corrected my behavior. The netting would not have been needed if modern parents weren't so lazy, afraid of not being their kids' best buddies, or too wrapped up in their own pleasure-seeking to pay attention to their responsibilities.

I agree. My parents would have none of it. I'm only 23, but I see parents today and I can't believe how irresponsible some are.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins:1056813474
    I agree. My parents would have none of it. I'm only 23, but I see parents today and I can't believe how irresponsible some are.
    I am 23 and still scared of my mother in some aspects. Hahaha
    There are times I get nervous for kids because I expect their parents to react like mine did, but that's not the case anymore.

As for the mesh...I am totally fine with it. If/when it is an obstruction for a smaller human (not only children will have a viewing problem) they need to alert the cm and get assistance or information on better viewing. If there is no suggestion, it is perfectly acceptable to leave a complaint at city hall. They must have thought about the mesh obstructing the view, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until I can experience it myself and see how different it really it.

If anyone has some first hand knowledge with a viewing problem please share.

49 days

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Yes. This. I'm completely flabbergasted at what I see so much of the time now.
    Learn How To Lose Weight While Still Eating All Your Favorite Disney Foods! --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

•   
    • Minion

I feel so old saying "kids these days..." but it really is true. I had very progressive, permissive family, but if I did even a third of the things I see kids getting away with, I never would have left my room. I've noticed kids don't even say 'thank you' these days.

• Splash On In

My three year old niece will correct me if I put my hands, arms or feet outside a ride vehicle. Makes me laugh everytime. There are kids out there that know how to follow the rules. Though I guess I'm not one of them.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The real tragedy here is that our society thinks it's OK to trade common sense with overly burdensome safety precautions and procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Where is the line drawn for you then might I ask? Would you be all for lap belts and 48" height requirements, if it made things safer? What about plexiglass coverings at all sitting areas from bottom of the boat to the top of the canvas top?

Would you be okay with underwater rollers that prevent the boat from coming in contact with the dock but forces the vessel to be exactly a set distance to the dock and does not allow variation? This way the hands never get smashed, and the gap is never to large to cross and the rolling sensation when loading is minimized or eliminated?
    I absolutely agree with this; we as a people are way too dependent on others (Disney in this case) to provide us with a ridiculous standard of safety instead of being self-reliant and responsible for our own actions. This type of bubble wrapping which has been substantially increasing around the park over the last 10 years has nearly ruined certain attractions and architectural elements, the Matterhorn being the latest victim and soon to be Alice in Wonderland.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-29-2012 at 08:44 PM.

When did this happen? I was on the JC the 22nd and there wasn't any netting. However, there were "teeth" on the top of the rail, making it uncomfortable to have my arm around my girlfriend. I hadn't had that in 3 years.

Would have ridden it today but the JC was closed.

• "I Break Things"

The rollers likely would have required a redesign of the track, or the boat guides, or both. It would also take extensive testing. They would have multiple mock-ups. Eventually they'd get something signed off. Then they'd have to implement it. If it is a track modification that may have required draining the river. Lots of time, lots of energy, lots of money that could have been directed to other improvements. This is a simple, fast, low budget, efficient, and effective solution. I was one of many who recommended it over the years for those very reasons. I would be surprised if the labor to install it was more then a single shift.The netting and rope is something they likely already had on hand for other props/decor. It solves the primary problem of children interacting with the dock. It also helps eliminate at least some of the camera/cell phone collection. So I see it as a win/win. The policy will likely be an adult must sit in the doorway. I'm actually a LOT more curious as to how the dock pad install is going to work out.

As to parenting; Disney can't control how effective parents are at watching their kids. What they were able to control is how effective Disney was at preventing child related injuries at Unload. It is a very simple solution that doesn't rely on the Guest to implement. At the end of the day it makes things safer. As a former CM, and as a parent, I say thank you for finally installing the nets. Even the best parents can't control their kids 100% of the time. A smashed hand only takes a moment... and Disney has all but eliminated the chance for that moment!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The real tragedy here is that our society thinks it's OK to trade common sense with overly burdensome safety precautions and procedures.
    Are we really trading common sense for safety, or have we just grown more safety conscious in modern society. I think people have just as much common sense now as they did when the ride was built but we are more aware of potential hazards and preventive measures in the modern world. That is why cars have things like collapsible steering columns and crumple zones and theme parks have improved ride safety mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    This type of bubble wrapping which has been substantially increasing around the park over the last 10 years has nearly ruined certain attractions and architectural elements, the Matterhorn being the latest victim and soon to be Alice in Wonderland.
    The Matterhorn was not altered for safety reasons. It was altered to try to increase load capacity.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Future Imagineer! =D

While everyone is on the topic of modern parents these days, I have to butt in and say not all parents are irresponsible, undiligent people now days. I'm very young (my parents are actually in the upper age range for having a kid my age) and my mom and I often take my 6-year old neice and her friend to Disneyland. My neice is very well behaved and definitely has manners and is smart enough to not put her hand out! As for her friend, she wasn't bought up quite as well. We have to be constant watchdogs with her, but the point is we always make sure she doesn't do something to get herself hurt like jumping up on something or sticking her hand outside a boat. Anyways, my point is, even though I do not have kids and probably won't for another 10 years, I know that I will not be one of those self-absorbed mothers society always thinks of now days. Good parents do still exist!!

As for the mesh netting, I was a little surprised to see it there last weekend. I had no clue it was being put in. I honestly think it's dumb. Even as a child I can't ever ever remember sticking my hand out a boat. Maybe it would be different if one of my own kids were to get hurt though. If it was really installed because of sue-happy people then this world has become a very, very sad place. Would people seriously demand money for their kid pinching their hand, when in the first place it's not even Disney's fault?!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Are we really trading common sense for safety, or have we just grown more safety conscious in modern society
    Conscious would be 'aware' of the problems and people acting accordingly. Like, stay seated else you may get flung out. Instead we have safety CONSTRAINED, where the product is reduced because we want to replace responsibility with controls and limits.

Adding something like a barrier to prevent arms going out isn't more safe, it's simply more idiot proof. We are forced to protect ourselves from ourselves for fear of litigation.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That is why cars have things like collapsible steering columns and crumple zones and theme parks have improved ride safety mechanisms.

The Matterhorn was not altered for safety reasons. It was altered to try to increase load capacity.
    The matterhorn's main improvement was individual seat belts.. the seating arrangement is because of that.. not the other way around. It was a safety thing.

The car comparison is poor - those are systems to make something safer in case of an accident.. not things designed to protect users from themselves and within the reasonable boundaries of self control.

There are
    - things to make things idiot proof
    - things to prevent stupid human tricks
    - things to prevent accidents
    - and things to make accidents less harmful

Your example is case #4. Covers over moving machinery are examples of case #3. Fences on overpasses are examples of case #2.

Case #1 and #2 are where things are getting out of control for litigious reasons.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast