Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• nothing like the sun

Redoing the Space Mountain queue...

Let me preface this by saying: I adore Space Mountain. Well, I do now; I was ungodly terrified of the thing eleven years ago. But I've grown up and developed a taste for such rides, much like I did for cayenne pepper.

The queue, however...falls flat. Now, a good queue can truly transport you. The front lobby of the Hollywood Tower Hotel gives me the heebs. The ruined temple housing Indy has me wondering where my backpack of rations and spare rope are. Space Mountain, conversely, doesn't quite deliver in this area. Rather than feeling I am in an actual spaceport, I feel I am in a cramped aluminum hallway with signs telling me I am in a "Space Port" in a vintage 1980s NASA font. Which has led me to quote on more than one occasion from the 1980s celluloid classic Space Mutiny (known only from its spoofing on Mystery Science Theater 3000, and starring Cameron Mitchell as Captain Santa): "Wall-mounted keyboards...it must be THE FUTURE!"

And that's the better part of the queue. The outside portion is no more impressive than it was when I was a kid. It still has the "future as imagined in the go-go '80s" vibe to it, and when you're non-Fastpassing it, you often end up staring at absolutely nothing for over an hour.

So during one of these lengthy waits back in November, my friend Sheep and I indulged in a little fantasy queue retheming to pass the time. I mentioned how cool it would be if they themed it to the show Cowboy Bebop and had the queue wind through the Bebop’s living quarters. You could watch “Big Shot” and I.S.S.P. briefings on their big-screen TV while you waited, and you could take a peek into Jet's bonsai room, and you’d be able to hear Spike and Faye arguing offscene about who botched the last bounty instead of a bunch of random Mission Control guys. And of course they’d pipe Yoko Kanno’s “Bad Dog No Biscuit” into your little rocket car during the ride. But then Sheep, voice of reason, pointed out that if Disney ever got their hands on Bebop, the existence of God would be disproven.

So really, I have no feasible idea for a new queue. I know other people have talked about it; usually by way of what it would have looked like had it received a "Black Hole" movie treatment. But I'm curious as to how my fellow MiceChatters would re-imagine it; or would they leave it the way it is?

• Banned User

Re: Redoing the Space Mountain queue...

I personally liked the original line better then the new one. I loved the windows they had there before that you could look into the mountain with. I was also very disappointed with the ride in general for how long it took them.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I personally liked the original line better then the new one. I loved the windows they had there before that you could look into the mountain with. I was also very disappointed with the ride in general for how long it took them.
    What is now in the spot of where the giant window was, and do they still have TV's with space tv on it. And most importantly, do they still have the small room with the old space mountain safty video with the brunette chick.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I don't think the queue is anything spectacular, but its decent enough. Its a narrow space to work with, and I cant think of any way to make it work better to make you feel like youre in a space port. The space the Imagineers have to work with just doesnt really work well with the theme.

I think the more pressing matter would be to incorporate more special effects inside the mountain itself. The launch tunnel is amazing. The re-entry tunnel is stunning. But I want to see more than just white lights spinning around me as "stars" and an occasional asteroid projected on the wall. I'm not saying that Space is a bad ride by any means - I absolutely love it... but some more special effects would be more than welcome.
    Here's hoping Rock It Mountain has some better special effects

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

They should enclose the outside queue or add awnings that do a better job of protecting people from the sun and maybe a ball factory or a giant kinetic sculpure so we have something to look at up there that is amusing. What would be great is a working model of the ride.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    What is now in the spot of where the giant window was, and do they still have TV's with space tv on it. And most importantly, do they still have the small room with the old space mountain safty video with the brunette chick.
    The windows are covered with somewhat lightly themed silver walls now.
    No more Space TV on the TVs. There are only a few video screens, and those screens only show a young guy telling you what Space Mountain is, the general saftey warnings (how to buckle in, where to put your belongings), and stuff like that.

| | |

• ...TWO BITS!

Someone suggested replicating what you see at the exit of the ride into the queue. You know after you walk up the stairs of the exit and on the walls are these "windows" into outer space? Yeah, they suggest to put that in the queue.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    The windows are covered with somewhat lightly themed silver walls now.
    No more Space TV on the TVs. There are only a few video screens, and those screens only show a young guy telling you what Space Mountain is, the general saftey warnings (how to buckle in, where to put your belongings), and stuff like that.
    Yeah and that guy looks stupid, I cant help but laugh.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Yeah and that guy looks stupid, I cant help but laugh.
    Yeah, he has a big mouth.

| | |

• ºoº Tom ºoº

The queue is increadibly weak and obviously does not keep people's attention such that people turn to vandalizing it. I suggest something that tells a story as you walk through the line such that the punks who trashed the queue are distracted and perhaps will forget about the damage they planned to inflict on the line.

I still think the outdoor area would make a fantastic balcony for the following:
    *Outdoor restraunt connected to the second floor of the Starcade.
    *Jedi Training Academy, interactive area for playing games, featuring meat and great with Jedi Mickey.
    *Outdoor version of Innoventions, with some interior items moving into the second floor of the Starcade, making way for the demolision of the Innoventions building for a new attraction.

• The one, the only...

I agree that the new SM queue does not impress. Thinking back on the older queue, it gave me more anticipation of a great ride. Yes, the TV monitors were corny, but they kept my interest while waiting.

Right now, I feel like the lawyers designed the queue, will all the dire warnings posted and repeated so that Disney does not get sued.

Improvements:
    I know the space is limited, but that does not stop imagination. 1) How about lights on the ceiling. Lights that would move down the pathway just like landing lights to an aircraft. 2) How about emergency warnings periodically that strobe red with some urgent message. Then that emergency could be resolved. 3) How about using an interactive moment like Ros in Monsters from a mission control person. Instead of funny, it could add anticipation. 4) How about the history of space travel shown on a monitors, with clips of early space pioneers.

These are just some ideas. I am sure there could be a lot more.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Take a space elevator (http://www.space.com/businesstechnol..._020327-1.html) to Space Station 77, which is similar to Space Station X-1 and is partially housed inside the former Starcade.

PROBLEM SOLVED

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I can deal with the inside queue, since you pretty much run through the whole thing.

What I don't like is the outside portion. As stated above, if you're in Stand-By, it's not a very fun experience.

I keep wondering why there is that gigantic area of a painted landing platform and there's nothing else there. I've always felt that, to entertain the kids, something could be put in this area...I like ah shucks' Jedi ideas...otherwise, I'd place a rocketship (like the old Moonliner) there, and then some sort of planetary play area that kids would be allowed to climb on and play in. As for the older audience who would be standing in line, there could be a t.v. stationed here and there, showing footage of miscellaneous sci-fi movies, or maybe Disney could get a hook-up with the Discovery Channel and put on shows about space and such (or perhaps they could go out on a limb and make a video of their own). Also, there would be more covering in that area to protect poor guests from the elements...not enclosed on both sides, however, so parents can keep an eye on their kids.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Take a space elevator (http://www.space.com/businesstechnol..._020327-1.html) to Space Station 77, which is similar to Space Station X-1 and is partially housed inside the former Starcade.

PROBLEM SOLVED
    This is actually quite brillant. I posted a similar idea in a thread about replacing Innoventions with a Mission Space style ride, but it works here tooo...rennovate the entire area around HISTA and the Starcade so that you enter into a Space loader platform that takes you into space via the elevator into a glassed dome in front of the queue and then never let the public go into open air once they take the elevator so the illusion of "space" is not broken. You could put some really awesome interactive space games and facts all about, give the queue a story...

• Reaver of Souls

Imagine what they could do if they covered the entire outside "landing" area, allowing them to install some really cool video/lighting/interactive effects there. Then they could offer some sort of explanation for the cramped aluminum tube you're about to walk through to get to the station. There's a lot of wasted potential and space there. The only flaw is that it might obsure the top of the mountain from the ground in TL...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast