Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819202742 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 4.0

I don't even think it's worth thinking about for another generation or two... Let's make sure the second park can support itself before we go talking about a fourth.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    I don't even think it's worth thinking about for another generation or two... Let's make sure the second park can support itself before we go talking about a fourth.
    I think the second park is supporting itself just fine after Carsland, it seems to even be giving Disneyland Park a run for its money. On many days DCA feels busier than DL since Carsland opened.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    I think the second park is supporting itself just fine after Carsland, it seems to even be giving Disneyland Park a run for its money. On many days DCA feels busier than DL since Carsland opened.
    Yes, but we just finished the first summer. Carsland has only been open 3 months. It's a long term investment and it needs to pay off over the course of the next 5-10 or so to be considered a success. There are other areas in DCA that WDI wants to tackle before a 3rd park is built, particularly Hollywoodland and the western portion of Paradise Pier.

If they announced a third park today, can you imagine the HORRIBLE backlash from the fan community about how first they need to fix Frontierland, Tomorrowland, Hollywood Land, Grizzly Peak, Condor Flats, Bugs Land, etc... So even by our own standards, there's a LOT to do in parks 1 and 2 before a 3rd park should even be considered, much less a 4th. That's what I'm saying.

And you can bet that Disney is looking for long-term RETURNS from Cars Land. Until they make back a significant portion of that $1.1 billion, why would they even imagine spending another billion on a third park? Especially if they also have to make up for years of operating in the red at DCA 1.0.
    Famous last words.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Yes, but we just finished the first summer. Carsland has only been open 3 months. It's a long term investment and it needs to pay off over the course of the next 5-10 or so to be considered a success. There are other areas in DCA that WDI wants to tackle before a 3rd park is built, particularly Hollywoodland and the western portion of Paradise Pier.
    Yea that's true, the western potion of paradise pier and hollywoodland both need some TLC in a big way.

• Nic

After the third gate is built, any chance/possibility that Disney will buy some businesses/hotels in the area and build a 4th park? or would that be too costly?
    A third gate isn't even confirmed yet, so a fourth gate will be a while, a way.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    If they announced a third park today, can you imagine the HORRIBLE backlash from the fan community about how first they need to fix Frontierland, Tomorrowland, Hollywood Land, Grizzly Peak, Condor Flats, Bugs Land, etc... So even by our own standards, there's a LOT to do in parks 1 and 2 before a 3rd park should even be considered, much less a 4th. That's what I'm saying.

And you can bet that Disney is looking for long-term RETURNS from Cars Land. Until they make back a significant portion of that $1.1 billion, why would they even imagine spending another billion on a third park? Especially if they also have to make up for years of operating in the red at DCA 1.0.
    A third gate had been considered years back to open a few years after DCA opened obviously the two main reasons it did not were that DCA did not become the success it was suppose to be and then soon after the economic problems of the world.

The needed changes that are left for DCA are at the moment are mostly cosmetic changes that although will get done are not considered crucial for the park now that it is doing what it was suppose to do in 2001.

many of those changes will just be done in separately budgeted projects that will continue as the park evolves thru out its life.

As for Disneyland it already brings in plenty of people especially during the main summer and holiday seasons. Building out the remaining land for the park is not their main goal. Their main goal was to see where in the park they can continue to add new attractions in the future. Tomorrow land will most likely see the biggest change only because it is the one big piece of land that is under utilized. They hope to use this land to help balance out the parks guest capacity and boost revenue like the west side of the park does.

Neither of these projects in the first two gates are reasons enough to hold off on building a third gate which would bring in more revenue than the parking lot. The land that is being used for the toy story parking lot is not using a portion of what is considered a very valuable piece of land.

Disney will announce the ground breaking of a new gate sooner than later and if for some reason there are some fans out there that find it a reason to be upset then they will deal with it like they have always done, ignore them. Just look at all the controversy about the fantasy fair project being done and the IASW addition a few years back, things backlash from minor groups usually disappear after a while

As for a fourth gate in Anaheim, I doubt it. Their main goal has always been to get three gates opened along with some more hotels. What would most likely happen is the possible continued effort to buy more land around the third gate and near the Pumbaa lot for additional projects like hotels but a fourth gate NO

I didn't say those lands needed to be updated before a third gate could be justified. I only imagined what the reaction of those here might be like if a third gate was announced before those lands were updated.
    Famous last words.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

A third park is more important in the grand scheme of tourist dollars then fixing up fan decided "problem areas." Yes there is work to be done, but when it comes to investing in the resort, a third gate is definitely on the priority list now for Disney.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Under that tree again!

After the third gate is built, any chance/possibility that Disney will buy some businesses/hotels in the area and build a 4th park? or would that be too costly?
    Not only a chance it's already started.

Ever since Disneyland was built, Disney has buying land nearby when the price was right. If you can find old pictures you may notice that some of DCA is built on land that once was home to motels, before it was parking lot.

I think Disney could hypothetically have 4 or more parks, but they would have to do alot in the long run and would be likely years or decades. A third park wouldn't have to take that long, but TDA will have to again reoverhaul the resort, simular to the one before DCA. More parking, transportation, hotels. We do have to keep in mind that Disney did spend a bunch of money for california. My hypothetical estimate is this (and I could of gotten this wrong):
    2015: 60th Disneyland Anniversary
    2016: 15th Disney California Adventure Anniversary
    2017-2018(depending on amount of profit from either event)TDA announces 3rd park/resort development.
    2018-2020: Construction begins, depending how long it takes to start the construction
    2022-2024: Construction ends, depending on date of when construction began and how long it took to build.
    So we could get a third park in a decade, hypothetically.

• film975

I also agree that Disneyland doesn't need a fourth gate let alone a third. The Disney Company just spent a $1 Billion sprucing up its second gate. Let's wait and see if its recent success lasts in the long run first. Besides, the California Adventure still has room to add more attractions.
    Last edited by film975; 09-09-2012 at 08:52 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

Ever since Disneyland was built, Disney has buying land nearby when the price was right. If you can find old pictures you may notice that some of DCA is built on land that once was home to motels, before it was parking lot.
    Not only has a fourth gate NOT got a chance at the moment, the early concepts for the THIRD gate was shelved some years ago and nothing is currently being developed.

Now, that's only relating to WDI, which is the company that would actually develop any theme park expansion for the resort. Corporate pre-development may be playing around with various ideas. But nothing they do means anything until it's handed off to WDI, where the REAL work begins.

• Under that tree again!

Question about land being aquired.

My response about land being aquired.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Not only has a fourth gate NOT got a chance at the moment, the early concepts for the THIRD gate was shelved some years ago and nothing is currently being developed.

Now, that's only relating to WDI, which is the company that would actually develop any theme park expansion for the resort. Corporate pre-development may be playing around with various ideas. But nothing they do means anything until it's handed off to WDI, where the REAL work begins.
    Post that quotes mine and isn't about the subject of my post and only rehashes post above.

I'll just state it again. Disney has been buying land in the area for decades. There is plenty of information out there about what they bought and what they own. Disney has been aware that they need to buy land around Disneyland since it was built. If you find old photos you can see how the borders have been expanded.

Disney is well aware that no matter what it holds, there is a future and they want to be part of it.

• Fish Food

Check this link in a few days. Go to the days of you visit and hold the cursor over the blue "View Refurbishments" on the left above the day's entertainment list.

Daily Calendar | Disneyland Resort
    Thank you so much!