Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324253247 ... LastLast

• Under that tree again!

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    If I may ask a Question. Why all the hatred toward Avatar? It was an amazing movie. I loved it. Indian Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye is NOT a Disney movie or franchise of any kind. Neither is Star Tours. But nobody has a problem with these 2 Non Disney attractions. Just what is the problem here. I am just curious. I don't think we will ever get Avatar at Disneyland anyway as there is just not the room for something that big.
    I think the "hatred" come from that Avatar has only had one movie to proove itself as a great franchise, even though 2 more are being made and a 4 rumored to come as well.

Disney tried to get Potter but didn't want to make the deal. Instead of waiting around to grab the theme park rights of a huge movie like they did with SW and IJ, they grabbed Avatar quickly so it didn't slip out of thier grasp. The first movie did very well, and has a great setting and good plot characteristics to use in a park. The next two could be bombs in comparison. Disney is the early bird on this one.

While it is not classified as "major", Disneyland is getting the Alley addition to Main by 2015. They could easily bring back the electrical parade for or before. They could also relaunch a ride (Star Tours, Space Mountain, etc.).

• Still lost in Neverland

Well, about Avatar and this is just me speaking. I found the story really different from the usual dark and foreboding stuff they usually turn out today. The CGI effects where through the roof and best yet for human like characters. I thought Jake and the Doctor looked so much like the humans they were but also incredibly different. There were little details that unless you really paid attention you would never notice but they were crucial. About the Nav'i, they were just the most beautiful and gentle race of alien characters every done. Jake to me was an incredible character and going from being Wheel Chair bound to 10 foot alien with the freedom to walk, run and do something he could never do was amazing. If it were me, I would also have tore out of the hospital confines and run and run around the place. Think of the freedom he now had.

Yea, the basic theme of the Military taking over, blowing everything up and totally trying to destroy a race of people that were in harmony with and part of the Planet they called home, has been done many times before. And of course the Military always underestimates the Native Savages who in my humble opinion are more civilized and at peace with their Gods and Living Planet than we are with Earth. And from what I heard, Cameron and Disney do not want the military or war or any of that stuff, just a visit to Pandora for some different experiences on another Planet.

And it could be done with a Star Tours type ride from Earth to Pandora and then stepping out of the space ship to actually walk with the Nav'i. Stilt walkers and their suits now days are getting to be pretty good. Look at Bumblebee and Optimus Prime up at Universal. They are awesome. Just the way I feel about it and why I asked the question.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

The reason why Avatar seemed like a weird choice for Disney to invest 100's of millions of dollars on to make a permanent addition to a park is because there is no telling what the lasting ability of Avatar is. It came out 3 years ago and that's hardly enough of a sample size to dictate whether it has any staying power in the collective conscious of the general public. Star Wars and Indiana Jones have been institutionalized in film lore for decades. They have stood the test of time and have shown that they can be marketed in every facet of the word. There were sequels, prequels, tv shows, books and toys that solidified these franchises as being timeless entities. Avatar has not. There is no merchandising to speak of, and almost everyone I know hasn't sat down to watch Avatar start-finish since it was in the theater. That means, while the land will undoubtedly be a beautiful addition to the park, it hasn't proven to be a marketable or successful franchise beyond the initial box office return of the original film.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    That's a fair question. Personally, I felt like Avatar was a really unoriginal movie. I understand that it is considered a breakthrough in CGI, but it lacked in heart, memorable characters, and an original plot line (Pocahontas, anyone?). Disney has always been about storytelling and making you have an emotional reaction to their movies, and I did not get that from Avatar. It doesn't bother me that Indiana Jones and Star Wars are represented in the parks because those films have characters that are memorable and stories that are unique. I guess, to put it simply, Avatar doesn't seem like it fits in with Disney.
    Pretty much what I wanted to say. If I wanted to experience the story to Avatar, Pocahontas did it already but with good animation, memorable songs and more likable characters. Furthermore While the best thing about it was the CGI, I didn't like the character design. Compared to other non disney movies, At least George Lucas' movies in both Indy and Star Wars have more enjoyable stories and a cast of good characters (and yes there's bad ones too but I digress). Lastly while minor for us, James Cameron also took away from the Nickelodeon show "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and it's new show "The legend of Korra" the trademark Avatar away thus denying them any possible future use.

...As I see it

• film975

delete
    Last edited by film975; 09-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I was at the park this afternoon. And while riding Pirates of the Caribbean, I noticed that Barbossa's ship is now the Queen Anne's Revenge from On Stranger Tides. The DisneyParks blog mentioned a while ago that something new was going to be added to the ride. I guess this was it.
    The blog post specifically says Magic Kingdom would be getting the change, not Disneyland.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• film975

delete.

• Minion

IMG_2219 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2220 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2221 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2223 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2245 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2246 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2247 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2249 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2258 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2259 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2264 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2265 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_2266 by socal_ron, on Flickr

• Minion

Video of the HMH gingerbread house:

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    Pretty much what I wanted to say. If I wanted to experience the story to Avatar, Pocahontas did it already but with good animation, memorable songs and more likable characters. Furthermore While the best thing about it was the CGI, I didn't like the character design. Compared to other non disney movies, At least George Lucas' movies in both Indy and Star Wars have more enjoyable stories and a cast of good characters (and yes there's bad ones too but I digress). Lastly while minor for us, James Cameron also took away from the Nickelodeon show "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and it's new show "The legend of Korra" the trademark Avatar away thus denying them any possible future use.

...As I see it
    I enjoyed Avatar as a movie and the effects were dazzling, but my friend just called it "Dances with Smurfs"...... and I think he pretty much nailed it.....

• Minion

^lol was that a South Park reference?

• film975

Love the little Zero flying on the top of the house along with the train running around the bottom. Anyone heard what show is going into the Fantasyland Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Love the little Zero flying on the top of the house along with the train running around the bottom. Anyone heard what show is going into the Fantasyland Theater?
    There is a rumor that Beauty and the Beast in WDW will be replaced by Tangled show. It could be that, but another rumor is that it will be a fab 4 show.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post

IMG_2246 by socal_ron, on Flickr
    I wonder if the swans will return when PFF opens. The fence that kept them in front of the castle is still under the bridge.