Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Idea for DCA Hub: Disney's Hyperion Studios

I had this idea a while back, but reading on another site that there have been differring opinions about what to refurb into DCA's ugly hub, I was thinking...

A familiar California Spanish revival style building, iconic but no longer extant, would be Walt Disney's Hyperion Studio building with the cool neon waving Mickey Mouse/Silly Symphonies sign atop the tower.

Not only would this be a cool, central weenie, DCA's "castle"...but it lends to merchandise, is Disney identifiable, fan friendly, tourist friendly, can house a screening room for whatever show (and more - Walt's office? Exhibit? One Man's Dream?), if positioned properly would cover the Hilton in the distance, would blend with the other Cali period architecture - - and could help recast DCA as Walt Disney Studios Anaheim.

Add some new signage to Hollywood Studios Backlot, some ears to the water tower and...

http://www.silverlake.org/HistoricPh...ey_mayfair.jpg

Re: Idea for DCA Hub: Disney's Hyperion Studios

The idea to locate the Hyperion Avenue studios in the entry sequence is excellent and works well with a few of my own.

In a recent thread (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ight=Dominguez), I mentioned bringing historical buildings, which still exist, to the new park.

The garage where Walt Disney made his first films in California would parallel Mickey's bungalow and movie garage (movie barn) in Mickey's Toontown. A structure that is original to the Hyperion Avenue studios was moved to the Burbank lot when it was built, and that building, too, could be moved to the new park. Additionally, the "Mickey Mouse & Silly Symphonies" sign currently on the side of the Disney Animation pavillion should be replaced by another in a more appropriate place. And, a D.C.A. storefront should be dedicated to the "Disney Bros. Studios". Those three sites are the predecessors to The Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California and they tell the history of The Walt Disney Company from its most humble beginnings.

I do not want ears on the water tower, though, and I don't want D.C.A. to change its name to "Walt Disney Studios Anaheim". I also do not want the existing studios in Burbank to be replicated, necessarily. But, I do love the way that your idea for the location, "merlinjones", relates to the existing Spanish Colonial Revival architecture of the train station that is part of the entry sequence.

Let me expand on the concept to also describe some of my other ideas for the entrance to D.C.A.

Imagine that passengers boarding the Disneyland Railroad at Main Street Station find themselves in the outdoor waiting areas where fanciful travel posters, illustrated in a turn-of-the-19th-Century style, tout destinations such as: Adventureland; Frontierland; Fantasyland; and, Tomorrowland. (Main Street Station did feature posters, at one time, on its northern fences.)

Now, imagine, across the way, that guests see one larger-than-life Santa Fe Railroad poster, circa 1923, proclaiming "California Calls You". The poster would have several layers, including a white rim (a freestanding version of a proscenium arch), and the effect would clearly parallel the posters of Main Street Station.

Imagine that, at the admissions booths, the guest books passage aboard the "California Limited" and that collecting the ticket in this larger-than-life railroad poster is a train conductor wearing a uniform that parallels that worn by each of the conductors of the Disneyland Railroad.

In this way, guests would leave Main Street, U.S.A., everyone's hometown (but mostly Walt Disney's), and begin their experience in California where he did, namely, by stepping off Santa Fe's "California Limited" in 1923.

The 3751 locomotive, or a version of it, would naturally replace the "California Zephyr". (http://www.sbrhs.org/) The actual locomotive is currently maintained by the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society.

The idea would be that Main Street, U.S.A. presents vague autobiographical impressions Walt Disney had of his formative years in Chicago, Marceline, and Kansas City, while the new park tells a very specific story about Walt Disney's life once he moved to California.

While Main Street, U.S.A. is more universal and non-descript, the new park would be much more explicit and specific.

Walt Disney, as the archetypal California dreamer, would share his story along with those of other idealistic California dreamers who populate the park. And, guests, from within and without California, would, themselves, be inspired to live their own dreams in California by the time that said guests leave the park. That idea would be the new park's thesis, and the living-history museum, or museum of living facts, that D.C.A. could be would revolve around the personal stories of people who did great things here.

This museum of living facts would celebrate the past, present, and future of California by allowing people, places, and things from various time periods to coexist.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-04-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Situating the three predecessors to the Burbank studios in a circle around the train station makes a great deal of sense. And, I would not mind utilizing the former Soap Opera Bistro to house an attraction accessible from this space, either.

An attraction, of some sort, similar to "One Man's Dream" is necessary, but I think the title of such a thing would have to be: "It All Started with a Mouse".

For dramatic impact, the meager amount of money with which Walt Disney arrived in California should be emphasized, along with his early failures, in a pre-show while everything that happened after Mickey was conceived should occupy the major part of the experience.

The idea occurred to me to do a ride-through attraction where guests board a realistic train that is in reality not on any tracks whatsoever. The ride system might be the same as that used for Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo.

Conceivably, the moment in the story at which Walt Disney's fortunes are at their lowest ebb, guests board a train to return to California from New York. And, it's aboard this train that Mr. Disney experiences his incredible reversal of fortune.

The cars of the train magically separate to go in multiple directions while Walt Disney continues to narrate. Many of the sets might even feature projected film, as well, in way similar to that of Spiderman at Universal Studios.

The story would attempt to be as emotional as possible, so that the attraction generates enough sentiment to make people feel good about The Walt Disney Company, itself.

Such a treatment would create a very theatrical signature attraction with a huge impact for a relatively small expenditure of capital.

I also like that the attraction would use the train motif to connect everything: the Disneyland Railroad; the "California Limited"; and, the advent of Mickey Mouse.

It's interesting to note that "The Disneyland Story", the first episode of the "Disneyland" television series, is where Walt Disney provided the quotation, "It all started with a mouse." So, that phrase directly relates to Disneyland, itself.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-04-2006 at 10:11 AM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

That is an interesting idea. It'd fit the new Spanish style they want to redo the DCA enterance in...it'd fit it to the Hollywood look...and it is an important place to both Disney, and California (or kinda important). It'd work but might be too out of place for the main Icon.

• șoș Tom șoș

Whilst I am truly impressed with ambitious idea MerlinJones and Prag.Idealist lay out, I wonder if DCA could survive an overhaul of this scale, price and length of time.

As well as a name change. I have suggested before that the while the brand association of DCA is not great like DL it is not terrible and that simply the only way I can forsee a name change is to drop the "California" and I doubt it would happen.

Now the inclussion of more of Walt's legacy in California is an excellent idea and I have long thought it would be great to rebuild the original train Walt had in his backyard and put it in an almost exact replica in DCA.

Similarly if space were available it would be a kick to build a replica of the original concept of Disneyland intended for Burbank as the "Disneyland That Never Was."

Now I will reserve judgement until the overhaul on the plaza occurs but I think of all the suggested additions the one that will recement the entrance will be those huge pine trees in the open square, juxtaposed to the palm trees. It will create somewhat of a front berm, cut off the Hilton.

I do not know what to think of the removal of the sun, the postcard or San Fran bridge but I trust that men more creative than myself will see fit to correct the less creative men of yesterday.

I had major reservations about the concept for the new park long before it was built.

When construction did start, I happened to be a conductor for the Disneyland Railroad, and the following is the spiel I regularly gave passengers at Main Street Station:

Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen, and welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad!

In just a few moments, the "Disneyland Limited" will depart everyone's hometown, Main Street, U.S.A., to begin a magical journey into the Four Cardinal Realms of the Imagination: Adventureland; Frontierland; Fantasyland; and, Tomorrowland. At this time, we do ask that all passengers kindly remain seated as our departure is imminent.

In the year Nineteen-Hundred and Twenty-Three, Walt Disney would leave middle America aboard another train, the "California Limited", to establish the first animation studio in a land, called "Hollywood", within a golden place, known as "California".

Nineteen-Hundred and Fifty-Five would later mark the year California would begin hosting the gateway to Walt Disney's greatest dream: The Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.

Now, directly across from the gates of Disneyland, where the magic began, The Walt Disney Company welcomes the world to Disney's California Adventure, a celebration of all pursuits golden.

Disney's California Adventure is the further fulfillment of Walt Disney's intention that Disneyland be a place for California "to be at home and to host its guests".

When it opens in the year, Two-Thousand and One, Disney's California Adventure will join Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and the new gathering place, Downtown Disney, to form: Disneyland Resort, in California.

The preview center for the expanded Disneyland resort is located at the exit lobby of the Disneyland Opera House, which is, itself, located here in Town Square.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-04-2006 at 10:47 AM.

• Minion

Great ideas, Idealist, especially in recreating the Disney Brothers Kingswell storefront and Uncle's garage in addition to the Hyperion Studio. DCA has always lacked a significant connection to Walt Disney's legacy and this is an affordable way to provide it and open up the park to all sort of new themes while using the California archetecture.

Shucks: I'll have to disagree that DCA's brand has any value at all. No one would miss it or care if replaced by the coolness of Walt Disney elements.

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    As well as a name change. I have suggested before that the while the brand association of DCA is not great like DL it is not terrible and that simply the only way I can forsee a name change is to drop the "California" and I doubt it would happen.

Now the inclussion of more of Walt's legacy in California is an excellent idea and I have long thought it would be great to rebuild the original train Walt had in his backyard and put it in an almost exact replica in DCA.
    A name change is absolutely necessary.

The problem is the word, "adventure". If you'll notice, I used the word, "pursuits", in my spiel to help give "adventure" a specific shade of meaning.

Disney was so lost during the development of that park. I can remember that the company was using, as a tag-line, "A Fun, New State of Disney Magic."

That slogan was so bad that Disney solicited possible replacements internally, and none of them were any better because most people did not have a very good grasp on the concept, either. I missed the deadline to submit "A Celebration of All Pursuits Golden", but if Disney wants that line now, the company is welcome to it.

As for the Carolwood Pacific Railroad, I recommend that the company respectfully ask the Disney family to move the "Lilly Belle" locomotive from Main Street Station to The Grand Californian Hotel. With personal photographs and other similar effects, the hotel could represent Walt Disney's personal life in California by showing him playing polo, attending awards ceremonies, and the like. The hotel needs a strong relationship to Disneyland as much as the new park does.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-10-2006 at 11:43 PM.

• șoș Tom șoș

PI and MJ
    I gotta stand by my statement, in most case rebranding products does not save it. Also in that regard it shows a massive lack of faith in the company by the company and may be preceived as weakness, not necessarily as creativity or progressive new leadership. Whilst I personally have no love loss for the name of DCA, I find that my understanding of marketing and advertising would not support a name change. The value of the name is in the perception not the name so frankly alteration can successfully occur under the umbrella of the name or an altered name but a complete change will confuss guests, give a perception of weakness and all but oblitorate and chance of a continued coehisive theme without bulldozing the park and starting over.

• Minion

>>Whilst I personally have no love loss for the name of DCA, I find that my understanding of marketing and advertising would not support a name change. The value of the name is in the perception not the name so frankly alteration can successfully occur under the umbrella of the name or an altered name but a complete change will confuss guests, give a perception of weakness and all but oblitorate and chance of a continued coehisive theme without bulldozing the park and starting over.<<

I'm afraid marketing theory and human reality can be different animals (otherwise the DCA "product" would have sold as conceived by highly paid brand marketers - yet it did not).

DCA has been perceived as a losing "brand" via word-of-mouth since opening day. Time to change both the experience and the perception.

Denial is also bad for marketing...

I'm not suggesting a radical name change; "California" is still going to have be a part of any new trademark.

I am currently using the perfect word mark (Golden California) for my own business, but I'm not willing to give it up, of course.

In the spiel, I also quoted Walt Disney who said that he wanted Disneyland to be a place where California could be at home and host its guests.

The new park has the potential to further fulfill this intention, as well to become the communal space that southern California is often criticized for lacking.

Disney needs to do a better job of letting Californians feel a strong sense of ownership in the new park. In addition to "museum of living facts", Walt Disney also used the term, "community center", in reference to Disneyland.

Some of the ideas that occurred to me in this respect include moving the Magic Music Days program to the new park and exhibiting, near the Golden Dreams mural, artwork from students at the California Institute of the Arts.

CalArts, incidentally, was co-founded by Walt Disney.

There are really a whole host of opportunities that are not being explored. Defining the concept better by removing and reconfiguring the postcard entrance, though, is an essential step towards appealing more to local residents.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Are there cliff notes for PragmaticIdealistics' comments?

; )

Pragmatic- i love your ideas, especially for the disney biography ride. it would be a great way to tell a great story AND highlight the newest and greatest technology around for a theme park, which Walt would have loved.

as for the name of the park, how about we keep it pretty much the same, and just add one word to the title: Walt.
    the name would then be "Walt Disney's California Adventure," which may not sound like much, when they have park names like walt disney studios, etc, but if the park becomes based primarily upon Walt and other great californians like you are hoping for pragmatic, it makes perfect sense to me that the park's title reflects how walt saw the golden state: as his own personal "California Adventure." the name change is subtle, but i think effective if these changes were ever made.

pragmatic-maybe i missed it, but did you say where you would want them to build the walt ride? cuz thinking about it, i would be fine with things if they left golden dreams right where it is and built a large building in and behind the hub to house your ride, making it the first thing people see when they enter the park and the first thing they ride.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Well, the location of such an attraction is best determined by the suggestion Merlin made. He was the one who had the idea to let the Hyperion Avenue studios be one of the first things guests encounter at the new park.

I'm not attached to Flik's Fun Fair, but W.D.I. might have a creative way to preserve that new attraction by building around or under it. One of the great things about "It's Tough to Be a Bug" is that the backside of the show building lends itself to the look of the Hyperion Avenue studios. (I would prefer that the front side look more like a citrus packing house, but that's a subject for another thread.)

Of course, I'm also not attached to Playhouse Disney, but since I never ate at ABC Soap Opera Bistro and since I still have never seen the stage show, I have no idea if that site is suitable.

In any event, I agree that Golden Dreams works where it currently is. It's actually my favorite attraction at D.C.A. I just wish that the theatre presentation had a really strong pre-show and, perhaps, a few more in-theatre show elements.

Additionally, I would reconfigure the finale montage so that images of Walt Disney appear whenever the chorus of the theme song repeats the words, "one dream", and I would, naturally, change the title of the attraction to "One Dream" to reinforce the concept, which further establishes Walt Disney as the central figure in the new park.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-05-2006 at 12:03 PM.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones

I'm afraid marketing theory and human reality can be different animals (otherwise the DCA "product" would have sold as conceived by highly paid brand marketers - yet it did not).
    Human reality being what - they created a half assed park on a shoe string budget and it didn't work as well as the hoped?

DCA has been perceived as a losing "brand" via word-of-mouth since opening day. Time to change both the experience and the perception.

Denial is also bad for marketing...
    Denial? Of what? The Name "Disney's California Adventure"? Denial that they should completly loose the name? I agree with Prag. Idealist's approach of keeping some element of the name. I had not thought of the Golden California, its not bad, matchs the hotel, gets rid of "adventure" which is not an accurate description of the park, never was. In fact I found it redudent when in the other park "Adventureland" is a small part of a larger entity. So I vote for the idea of Golden California, but to walk way completly is to admit complete failure, something that no company can afford.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast