Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Air curtains over DCA and DL shop doors

I initially posted this on Al's Update thread, but it seemed to deserve a thread of its own. It seems like there is a fairly simple solution that should satisfy both the retailers, and the "Green" team (at least to an extent). I'm surprised they haven't done this already, actually.

Why not install "air curtains" to be installed over the doorways? These are used a lot in Minnesota where our hot, muggy summers and cold winters cause a dilemma of air rushing out of the building, even with vestibules installed.

My gym has one of these over the sliding automatic doors; essentially they push a strong current of heated or cooled air down over a doorway to create a "barrier" that doesn't allow conditioned air to seep out as quickly as it normally would. I have seen these over doors that need to stay open all day long too.

They also work great at keeping our State Bird -- the mosquito -- OUT.

• We Go On.

Re: Air curtains over DCA and DL shop doors

This is a great idea and I always wondered why the DLR never implemented these. Yes, the climate is a bit different than at WDW where they use these air curtains extensively, but as you say, I feel that they could solve some issues like the unfortunate perpetually-closed doors on Buena Vista Street.

I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour at the MK last month, and it was interesting to hear the guide speak about the "open-door policy" at all WDW parks. Every facility MUST keep its door open at all times in an effort to appear more welcoming. The only closed doors are found at the Animal Kingdom restrooms, for the safety of the animals.

• Minion

I thought those were designed to keep bugs out. I never knew they were designed to keep cool air in.

On a hot day, there are so many air conditioners in the stores on Main Street that push cool air outdoors, that it can feel like Main Street itself is air-conditioned.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I had to do a google search on "air curtain." I didn't know thats what they were called!

Doing a random search, this particular company has a pretty good sales video showing exactly how they work just FYI.

Air Curtains 101

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

They should install some but make seem as they are not their. Sometimes I like the summer because Main street is cooler, all the stores pushing air out lol its nice

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Under that tree again!

My opinion on the curtains is probably why they aren't used, I find it annoying to have a lot of air pushed down on me.

• Minion

What you can do is act like you're "stuck in it" and can't get out.

I'm not sure what the solution is to resolve the door issue on the shops on BVS, but I'm not really a fan of this idea. They have these at our local grocery store and it bugs me when I walk in and out of the store. Perhaps the force of the air in this particular building is just set too strong (I have very limited experience with these air curtains outside of this one grocer), but I just don't like the air being forced down on me in that manner.

Perhaps it's just a comfort/personal preference thing.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I know years ago (like 20+) the place I worked had them and they were really noisey. I take it that they are better now and don't make much noise?
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by LacyBelle View Post
    I'm not sure what the solution is to resolve the door issue on the shops on BVS, but I'm not really a fan of this idea. They have these at our local grocery store and it bugs me when I walk in and out of the store. Perhaps the force of the air in this particular building is just set too strong (I have very limited experience with these air curtains outside of this one grocer), but I just don't like the air being forced down on me in that manner.

Perhaps it's just a comfort/personal preference thing.
    Not only is it uncomfortable being hit with air like that but these air curtains are very noisy. They have to be in order for them to work properly.

Well, it would be a win-win solution. Energy would be saved AND revenue could be generated instead of the perception that the stores are closed for business.

The one at my gym isn't particularly noisy. It may be like any other appliance: how noisy it is depends on how much you spend and how well it is maintained. I can't say I'm bothered by them given that the time I pass through is only a fraction of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I had to do a google search on "air curtain." I didn't know thats what they were called!

Doing a random search, this particular company has a pretty good sales video showing exactly how they work just FYI.

Air Curtains 101
    First issue is the noise
    They run about 65-80dbs, which makes them from a converstation level to a yelling level.
    Personally I'd think they're bad show also, as they will stick out as not being in theme (even the hidden ones). When I worked in Education, I remember they had these over the doors in the Food Service areas, and the noise and airflow was quite annoying.

But they could check them out without driving...

Western Restaurant Show, Anaheim CA
    August 12th, 13th, and 14th

• We Go On.

At WDW, I would never be able to hear them. I only realized they were there once I felt them.

Hello! A couple years ago while at Disneyland I saw a DLR main. cast member working on an overhead ceiling fan near a Main St. shop door and asked him that is must cost the Disney Co. tons of money to keep all the doors open letting all the AC out. He said it would cost the Co. more money to have them closed - he reasoned that the huge AC chillers backstage produce so much cold air that having the doors closed would hamper their production.

I dont know if that information from him is hooey - but it did sound reasonable.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    What you can do is act like you're "stuck in it" and can't get out.
    I was on a cruise in Jamaica once where that forced air was most welcome! I was "stuck" in the entry for a few minutes. If it weren't for all the other people coming in behind me, I would have been "stuck" much longer. lol

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast