Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Radiator Spings Racers Effects Watch Thread

I think the concerns are valid. If you don't live in SoCal, you hope that a brand new attraction will still be working near 100% when you visit. I always felt that this ride looked much better than I expected, but it's "awesomeness" depended on a lot of pretty big animatronics working. Those have already proved troublesome, and as a result, the ride quickly becomes a Mr. Toad with a medium speed outside section. Hardly a $200 million attraction, in my opinion.

It seems the tractors are too big to handle the repitition, and the Maters are wonky. Those two things were also the main things mentioned by everyone when they talked about how amazing the dark ride portion was. Add in the two parallel effect rooms being out of sync, some mouths being off, and the final big animatron not working, and I really don't see this ride being anywhere even close to what it was hyped as being during the first few days.

I think its understandable that someone paying a few hundred dollars for thier family to get into the park, and waiting hours for the most expensive ride Disney has ever built, expects the ride to deliver that vast majority of its best special effects.

-Jason

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Have they fixed the tractors yet?

• Just another Disney fan..

Breeding negativity and voicing displeasure is always easier than looking for the positives. Especially when it comes down to one's own personal expectations.

The tractors were not working as of this past Moday. If they still aren't fixed don't bother waiting in the long line just to enjoy any of the many other aspects of the ride, some of which also might not be working either.

I don't think this is about negativity, just getting updates. Not sure why it's such a big deal that someone asks a question.

Anyway, on that note... It might be my imagination, but the last few times I was on, it seemed like the volume of the Maters before the tipping tractors was lower, and I had trouble hearing what he was saying. But I recall that previous to that I followed it no problem. Could be my ears not working and Mater is just fine, but has anyone noticed that?

I'm sure that, as well as parts periodically going down, they're also making little tweaks here and there.

• Certified in everything

The degree to which certain people in this thread are content to see a sub-par ride experience is astounding. Broken effects were fine in the first few weeks after opening, but still months later? Sheesh! I have never been on the ride with everything operational.

Too many are too quick to shoot down negativity on this site. News flash: this site is for opinions of all types, both negative an positive... and if you've been on this site for more than a day you would see that most is relentlessly positive. We all know what constructive criticism looks like, its not necessary to point it out everytime you see it. All commentary has its place. And we need negative criticism, especially when an experience is falling apart before our eyes. Was anyone around in the 90's?

We should never have to say "don't get your hopes up" to someone going to a Disney park.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    The degree to which certain people in this thread are content to see a sub-par ride experience is astounding. Broken effects were fine in the first few weeks after opening, but still months later? Sheesh! I have never been on the ride with everything operational.

Too many are too quick to shoot down negativity on this site. News flash: this site is for opinions of all types, both negative an positive... and if you've been on this site for more than a day you would see that most is relentlessly positive. We all know what constructive criticism looks like, its not necessary to point it out everytime you see it. All commentary has its place. And we need negative criticism, especially when an experience is falling apart before our eyes. Was anyone around in the 90's?

We should never have to say "don't get your hopes up" to someone going to a Disney park.
    I completely agree. Yes the ride is new, but everything was done on time, and it had a pretty lengthy testing period. The fact that there are so many problems after a couple of months of running at full capacity, it not a very good sign of proper engineering in my opinion. Maybe a few years down the road after things have worn out and it is time for maintenance we would expect to see things not working.

We wait forever for Disney to come out with new E ticket attractions, which they heavily promote once they do. This isn't a film where something needs to work right for a few times. What good is all the development if things only work for a short amount of time, and can't handle the repetition they were supposed to be designed for.

• Go Bears!

I think it's pretty ridiculous the tractor tipping effect is already broken. It's probably my favorite scene in the attraction - the brand new attraction touted as "the best of all time." -_-

• Resident of the Caldera

No one pays for betters designs and maintains attractions better than the Oriental Land Company does at the Tokyo Disney Resort. Seeing an effect in a ride that doesn't work really stands out. And it happens, no matter how hard you try and fix it.

For example, on Pooh's Hunny Hunt, the most popular ride in the park, you enter a story book at the beginning. At the end, after the last scene, the cover of an enormous book is supposed to close as your honey pot passes by. This effect used to work, but over the past three or four years, it has worked sporadically or simply not at all. During that period, the ride has gone down for a lengthy refurbishment every year (as all the rides at the Tokyo Disney Resort do). Despite this, they have been unable--for whatever reason--to fix this effect of the giant book closing. In Japan, it's very embarrasing if something that's supposed to function doesn't. It's considered a personal failure.

My point is that the tractor tipping might never be fixed. Sometimes they build these things and don't find out until too late that it doesn't work out the way they planned (all the special effects in Expedition Everest would be a good example of that).

I wouldn't waste my time on Expedition Everest because virtually none of the effects work, but I will ride RSR next week and I'm sure we'll enjoy it, even if one or two of the effects are pooched. Think about it--how many times have you been on Pirates of the Caribbean and seen some AA effect not working, or a pirate or animal just plain missing (the donkey was gone for ages, then the dog was gone for ages, then the hairy leg guy was gone for a while). None of these things made the ride stink, and they eventually fixed all of them (though who knows why it takes so long). We've all been on the rides before, and we'll all be one them again. I'm traveling from the east coast for my trip to the Disneyland Resort. I don't expect everything to be perfect ... even in Tokyo.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• keh!

Rode Racers last night. The tractors are still broken. That was the only effect that seemed to not be working. A few weeks ago, along with the broken tractors, The white wall tires was broken, the Sheriff was broken, and the last Luigi AA wasn't animating but his mouth was. The projected mouth was bouncing up and down his face, hahaha. It was very sad. But at least they've fixed some of the effects *shrugs*

• Minion

So, when the ride actually is operational, major effects are broken? Unbelievable. At least in rides like Poohs Hunny Hunt or Pirates the occasionally broken effects don't affect the storyline in any way...if Mater or the Sherriff aren't working a huge chunk of the rides already limited narrative gets eliminated. That is frankly inexcusable on Disneys part, who has been engineering complex rides for almost 60 years now...

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    So, when the ride actually is operational, major effects are broken? Unbelievable. At least in rides like Poohs Hunny Hunt or Pirates the occasionally broken effects don't affect the storyline in any way...if Mater or the Sherriff aren't working a huge chunk of the rides already limited narrative gets eliminated. That is frankly inexcusable on Disneys part, who has been engineering complex rides for almost 60 years now...
    I look at it more as they are working with a ride system that they have only used on Test Track before. There has hardly been 60 years of time to work out the kinks of that system - if we were judging them based on that criteria, they should never build an attraction that used anything but opening day tech. I'll take ambition (and time to work out the bugs) over a park full of simple, proven Bugs Land rides that work perfectly from day one.

Way too big of a deal is being made about the tractors not tipping. It's not that bad - you still get the sound and see one tractor tipped, so you hardly miss what's going on in the story. It's a cute effect, but not having it doesn't dramatically alter the ride.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post

agreed.

I've been off this site for months now (prob. since May).
    My nephew wants to go to Carsland so we'll be there next week.
    Since we live in AZ, it's nice to be informed (good and bad)
    before we head on down.

I'm also a little shocked to hear that things aren't already working months into the ride opening.

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    .. or Pirates the occasionally broken effects don't affect the storyline in any way...
    Pirates is also 45 years old.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Resident of the Caldera

This is the third iteration of the ride system.

The first was Test Track, which broke down constantly for years.

The second is Journey to the Center of the Earth in Tokyo DisneySEA, which rarely breaks down (just like the Tokyo version of Indy rarely breaks down).

Radiator Springs Racers is the third time they've had to get everything right. It appears they're not up to the task.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Banned User

What do non-tipping tractors have to do with the Test Track ride system?

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    This is the third iteration of the ride system.

The first was Test Track, which broke down constantly for years.

The second is Journey to the Center of the Earth in Tokyo DisneySEA, which rarely breaks down (just like the Tokyo version of Indy rarely breaks down).

Radiator Springs Racers is the third time they've had to get everything right. It appears they're not up to the task.

I think the first version of this ride system was Rocket Rods. Test Track was second, then JTTCOTE, then RSR. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast