• Banned User

Red Face Secret Reason for GWTS?

Call me a conspiracy theorist but . . .

I have seen World of Color two times, the first time it was pretty crowded and I couldn't see much of anything, and it was a disappointment, second time same problem. I soon realized that you needed to buy a dinner deal or something to get better viewing, but at this point the show didn't hold a lot of interest for me, it's not Fantasmic which utilizes a lot of real props and castmembers.

Anyway, when I heard about the GWTS LED Mickey Mouse ears, I couldn't help but think that this was an attempt to allow guests to see something . . . even if it is mostly the ears flashing on and off around them. I can't help but think this is TDA's plan to try to livin' the show up and improve it from a poor viewing stand-point.

I gather that they planned on making money from the ears as well, but apparently nobody is buying them?

Looks like they are only being given away. I find the idea of having guests pay for GWTS ears to be kinda of crummy, almost like guests have to pay to help put on a show that doesn't look nearly as good from the back.

I also think that visually there is something kinda creepy about the look of the ears during the show . . . this look wouldn't work with Fantasmic as it would wreck the magic of that show . . . Maybe its better in person, but I find staring at other people to be kind of creepy or something?
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-01-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Re: Secret Reason for GWTS?

I agree!!! First time I saw it was opening night in the red section, which at the time, was far to the right. Enjoyed the show but when we saw it the next night from front and center we couldn't believe how much we were missing!

Any word on when the next giveaway shows are?
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• some assembly required

While I certainly don't think there is a "conspiracy", I do think it adds to the effect of the show and creates two high demand viewing areas... the front (obviously) and now the back. I came to this conclusion after a friend said seeing it from the back was a whole new experience. I checked it out online and yeah, it is cool. I hope tho, that it is better in person.

I am certainly not buying my standard ears PLUS these GWTS ears... and I gotta get my old school ears for sure.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    While I certainly don't think there is a "conspiracy", I do think it adds to the effect of the show and creates two high demand viewing areas... the front (obviously) and now the back. I came to this conclusion after a friend said seeing it from the back was a whole new experience. I checked it out online and yeah, it is cool. I hope tho, that it is better in person.

I am certainly not buying my standard ears PLUS these GWTS ears... and I gotta get my old school ears for sure.
    Wow, that's really interesting . . . people wanting to see it from the back!

Usually Disney does a good job with making sure every seat is a good seat for any given show. Not so with World of Color, I was surprised how little you can see from the back, or even middlish area.

I thought that there were going to be some special effects inside of Paradise Park, such as specially designed LED lights to look like plants, and perhaps even some fountains. I don't think they added any of this, and the GWTS hats are sort of a poor man's way to accomplish this effect.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the hats, and with the show.

Since WoC has no performers, and is all computer controlled, I am really surprised that they didn't create a whole slew of shows to keep guests entertained through out the year. If Country Bears had perhaps six different shows being shown during the year (like a Halloween, Valentine's Day show), and if they were refreshed regularly, I don't think this attraction would have gotten boring.

It would be even easier to add a new show(s) for WoC given that they don't have to change the costumes on mechanical bears. I know they have added clips from movies, but really . . . couldn't they hire a bunch of college students to program a new show or something?

Seems very lazy . . .

If there was a new show I'd get the dinner option and get good seating, but as it is the same old show, I have little interest . . .

• Disneyland Original '55

The thing about the GWTS ears is they Glow and as a child at heart adult I bought the ears, not like im going to see WOC with them on, being so tall it would block kids view, but i like how they interact with Cars Land, in Flows they change colors according to the colors of the lights in the main entryway and that alone is way cool to me. I hope that Disney will extend the ears to other parks, like Disneyland, because if they could program them to interact with MSEP and other attractions like they do in Flos then id figure my investment a good one especially if they redo Tomorrowland I could see them being implemented there, but not so much with Fantasmic or WoC and especially the Fireworks, they just distract from the experience.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    This is how I feel...I have my mouskears and that's good enough for me. I hate the design of the hats and am only interested in the glowing aspect, so I'm not going to buy a pair just to add weight to my backpack for 99% of my trip. I'd totally bring it along if it were free, but as I see it right now, I'd just be paying to add a small burden to my back. I can't see my own hat, so why bother?

$$$$. I don't think there is a secret reason because most people will go see WOC whether they're in the front or the back. It's just a cool product that looked like it would be a good seller. I think the "secret reason" they gave them out for free though was so that people that don't have them would see it and want to buy it. I have the Red Car Trolley ears and every time I go to the resort I'll have about 5 people ask me where I got it, and the GWTS ears are probably a lot more interesting to the average person than the RCT ones. Just my thoughts . And they're really not selling?

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I think they should bring back the proformers at the beginning of the show like they had when it was first opened..... It add a little more to the show then people with flash lights telling you where to go followed by a computer controlled show. But I do love the WOC!
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwowzer View Post
    The thing about the GWTS ears is they Glow and as a child at heart adult I bought the ears, not like im going to see WOC with them on, being so tall it would block kids view, but i like how they interact with Cars Land, in Flows they change colors according to the colors of the lights in the main entryway and that alone is way cool to me. I hope that Disney will extend the ears to other parks, like Disneyland, because if they could program them to interact with MSEP and other attractions like they do in Flos then id figure my investment a good one especially if they redo Tomorrowland I could see them being implemented there, but not so much with Fantasmic or WoC and especially the Fireworks, they just distract from the experience.
    See... this is news to me. I think Disney should promote this fact a bit better. I am a huge fan of DLR and I didn't know this. I thought they were only for WOC. I agree that they need more "ear zones", and I think it should be promoted better.

---------- Post added 08-01-2012 at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Quarar44 View Post
    $$$$. I don't think there is a secret reason because most people will go see WOC whether they're in the front or the back. It's just a cool product that looked like it would be a good seller. I think the "secret reason" they gave them out for free though was so that people that don't have them would see it and want to buy it. I have the Red Car Trolley ears and every time I go to the resort I'll have about 5 people ask me where I got it, and the GWTS ears are probably a lot more interesting to the average person than the RCT ones. Just my thoughts . And they're really not selling?
    While I agree w/ this statement, I do think it creates more of a draw to see it from the back areas once they are already there. Sure there will always be ppl that need to be at the front rows, but now there will be back rows in higher demand; when there are two popular areas to view from, there are more satisfied guests. I don't think this is about drawing ppl in to see WOC, I think it is about making more happy guests per performance. It slightly makes up for the fact that the whole viewing area was a total shoe-horn.

We like WOC, and all of us were happy to see it, so plz, I hope no one thinks I am bashing it. I just can't deal with it on the slowest of busy days (but that goes for the whole resort).
    Last edited by JMazz; 08-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Banned User

Well that could be ONE reason for it, to give people a show if they cant see WOC from a good spot, but I doubt its the sole reason. I'm guessing the sole reason is A. Money and B. To give people another experience. Remember they are not JUST for WOC, just the main show at the moment. But as someone said they work in parts of CL and also at the Mad T Party. And in time it will come to more areas like the fireworks, Fantasmic, etc.

WOC was probably the most obvious show to test out the ears first but I'm guessin it will snyc with a lot of areas and entertainment options in the near future. Can you imagine how cool they will be for special holiday events like Xmas and Halloween stuff, interacting in other areas like Fantasyland, TL or if MSEP really does come back? I mean WOC and Mad T Party is just the beginning.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 08-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I'm guessing the sole reason is A. Money
    I totally agree with this.
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)