Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: Walt on alcohol at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post

BTW, you cannot just start a thread and call it the end-all to a debate without some source. It just makes one look like a fool.

God forbid anyone ask the OP for info to back up his endless knowledge... I realize it's a clique-y thing, but srsly, please stop. Thanks.
    What is with this incessant obsession with trying to prove that Walt didn't say something?

Why don't you do a little research on your own, instead of relying solely on others to supply it?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    Sounds like Walt also didn't want cotton candy sold in Disneyland but they've reneged on that.
    They've also disregarded the fact that he wasn't a huge fan of carnival games and attractions in his park as well.

From the book: "The Quotable Walt Disney"

"A word may be said in regard to the concept and conduct of Disneyland's operational tone. Although various sections will have the fun and flavor of a carnival or amusement park. There will be none of the pitches, game wheels, sharp practices, and devices designed to milk the visitor's pocket book."
    Thanks for the ENTIRE context to the interview question. You didn't give the entire source. Not the date or (as an alternative) the volume number. But I do appreciate your posting the entire answer.

As for the rest of your post and my post, I will not explain it. Nor will I go on about your inflamatory OPs (note plural), condescending follow ups and abusive treatment towards other members (long before I registered). We get it, you know alot about DLR. Your delivery needs some help tho.

I will appologize for the fact that my sarcasm was misunderstood. I should never have attempted it in your thread.

I didn't ask for a link (see above). Ask for your sarcasm, that's actually pretty funny.

BTW, you cannot just start a thread and call it the end-all to a debate without some source. It just makes one look like a fool.

Nice.
    God forbid anyone ask the OP for info to back up his endless knowledge... I realize it's a clique-y thing, but srsly, please stop. Thanks.
    I've been a member here for a bit now, and I was a member on another board before this that Steve was also on. He has quite the extensive knowledge when it comes to the Resort, and Walt himself. I have never taken any of his posts the wrong way.

Sometimes it's hard on the Internet to really understand the tone and context the person is trying to convey. Something that may come off as snarky or rude, may not have been meant to come off that way at all. I could just as easily say that your posts in this thread are the same. Anyway, I'm not going to the White Knight here.

I am not sure I understand your response to my "Game, set, match." post either. Clearly a joke that was taken some other way.

• "I Break Things"

but... but... but... this is Micechat. We can't say something is settled unless we know what color socks Walt was wearing, which store he bought them from, what day he bought his shoes that matched his socks, what time of day he bought his tie to match his shoes and socks and if he was sober when he made the quote... wow that's a run-on!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Pilot EdForceOne

BTW, you cannot just start a thread and call it the end-all to a debate without some source. It just makes one look like a fool
    One word.. 'credibility'.. it often comes with past efforts and demonstrations of his research and publications as an author. You could try asking for the bibliography entry.. might be more up his alley.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    One word.. 'credibility'.. it often comes with past efforts and demonstrations of his research and publications as an author. You could try asking for the bibliography entry.. might be more up his alley.
    That would be helpful... because believe it or not kids, there did exist ways to research things before the internet. It was called a library and it had card indexes and books and magazines and things you could actually touch!

Ok sarcasm aside, if its not on the net where it can be linked to, the issue, date etc where the interview appeared would be much appreciated so if someone wanted to verify it for themselves they could.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

The quote could be from one of the series of eight articles that ran in the Saturday Evening Post commencing Nov. 17, 1956 (Vol. 229, Issue 20, p. 160) and ending January 5, 1957...?

But I might be wrong.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

The quote comes from the interview done in the summer of 1956 by Pete Martin, a noted celebrity interviewer of the time. The interview formed the basis of the series of articles that appeared under Diane Disney Miller's by-line (by agreement) beginning in the November 17, 1956 issue of the Post. The material did not appear as an interview, but rather as a narrative by Diane. The interview is in the possession of Disney historian and author Jim Korkis ("The Vault of Walt"). You can read more excerpts here: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...ersary_16.html. If you want to see the interview in person, I suggest you contact Mr. Korkis--although I know even that won't be enough.

Of course, I'm fully aware that none of this will persuade the die-hards, who seem to believe that Walt Disney never said much of anything.

• Banned User

Thanks for the link! This part cracked me up:

Pete Martin: One of the things we should cover is to knock off that rumor that Disneyland's expensive to come to.

Walt: Oh, no. Not at all. That's an old hat thing. You hear it from some people because they don't know what else to say...But there's no foundation for some of these complaints about price. When people make that remark to me, it just sounds to me like they heard it somewhere and they don't know what else to say. How can they compare Disneyland prices with anything else because there is nothing else like it.
    I guess some things never change!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    ...who seem to believe that Walt Disney never said much of anything.
    And if he did, whatever he said is irrelevant to today's Disneyland.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Walt Disney never said much of anything.
    I think I just found my favorite Steve D quote right there ladies and gentlemen!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Minion

I think most debates on Alcohol stem from people not understanding the situations. When the ToT video was around a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon of blaming the situation on the fact you can get alcoholic drinks in DCA. That in itself is a silly thought because if you take the amount of drinks that are consumed in DCA by guests and then see how many of those quests walk across to DL then the point is moot. You can drink anywhere on earth and walk into DL.

I do think it's ok to have alcohol served in Disney parks like EPCOT. it actually makes sense there to serve drinks from different countries. I wouldn't want to see beer in any of the Magic kingdoms though. Club 33 has it and that's ok with me as well.

why is it a big deal ?
    if people want a drink why stop them ? i dont drink but i dont care if others do
    as long as they aint drunk... they should have a 2 drink max. and ur hand gets stamped for the day

anyways its 2012 not the 1950s

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mykayla View Post
    why is it a big deal ?
    if people want a drink why stop them...
    Drinking isn't the point of the thread. I plan on enjoying a martini or two tonight myself.

The point is, several people in another thread on the subject couldn't believe Walt himself (a drinker) insituted this policy, and demanded a direct quote from him--not the rememberances of anyone who worked with him; not the words of anyone who knew him; not a statement from his multiple biographers. They demanded a direct quote from Walt. Which I provided, and which amazingly still doesn't satisfy some folks.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    but... but... but... this is Micechat. We can't say something is settled unless we know what color socks Walt was wearing, which store he bought them from, what day he bought his shoes that matched his socks, what time of day he bought his tie to match his shoes and socks and if he was sober when he made the quote... wow that's a run-on!
    Do we even know if he was wearing socks? These are the details that I am waiting to hear and will not believe that Walt didn't want alcohol in his park until I find out if the man even wore socks.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Minion

Doesn't the fact that alcohol was not served i the park when Walt was alive and basically ran daily operations serve as evidence enough that he did not want it?
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast