Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Closed Account

Walt on alcohol at Disneyland

Last year, MC'er Brenden posed a question about Walt's opinions regarding alcohol in Disneyland. That thread can be found here for reference:

Walt's opinion on......

No one could come up with a quote; in fact, several people suggested that unless a direct quote from Walt could be found, there was absolutely no basis for suggesting that the no alcohol policy was his--the massive amounts of circumstantial evidence notwithstanding. Quotes from people who knew and worked with Walt were even discounted.

Well, here is a quote, from Walt Disney himself, made to journalist Pete Martin for the Saturday Evening Post in the summer of 1956, when asked about how Disneyland was so different from other amusement parks:

No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don't have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax.
    I trust this now settles the debate.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Walt on alcohol at Disneyland

No, I'm pretty sure it will just start up the debate again as to why there is alcohol in DCA..... since Walt didn't want alcohol in "his park" and by extension, DCA is also Walt's park. :

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

^ No problem there -- DCA is Michael & Bob's park. The only thing "Walt" about it is the statue and BVS, both of which are there to sell Walt as a brand.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I love beer, straight liquor, and cocktails as much as anyone, but I have ZERO problem with them not being anywhere inside a Disney theme park

Downtown Disney restaurants with bars is as far as I think it should go

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I mean as long as it's not made into a event like Mad T Party....I would not be made seeing Wine or Beer in the parks....I understand the parties make more money but it feels...so un-Disney to me

• Minion

I am ok with it in the other parks but to me it would ruin the feel of Disneyland to have alcohol there. Good find on the quote!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Banned User

Thanks for the followup!
    There's always Trader Sam's!

• -

I am far from being one of those Volsteaders involved with the Temperance Movement, but I am happy with the ban on alcohol in Disneyland. It was Walt's wish and one of the few things that Walt wanted that Disney still follows. By extension, I am also fine with them keeping it out of all Magic Kingdom style parks as they were built following his Disneyland model.

The other parks are different, on the other hand. Some of them stretch so far from Walt's vision that they seem like something else entirely. If Disney wants to put alcohol in those, I don't really have a problem with it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I love a good drink - probably too often, actually - but I could do without liquor in any of the parks. My kids are to the point where they know when my wife and I are drinking and that what we're having is different from what they're having. And even though daddy really does like "a little helper" every once in a while, I prefer to be 100% in the family moment when I'm in the park atmosphere. Back at the hotel or in a Downtown Disney establishment, I have no such reservations.

• Chief Troublemaker

Count me firmly in the no alcohol in Disneyland camp. For some reason, it just seems wrong, sorry. I like a nice adult beverage as much as the next gal, but it just wouldn't feel right. Disneyland is just so wrapped up in my childhood & the innocence of pure joy that it just wouldn't seem right to drink alcohol there. You know, in all the times I've been to DL (well over 100 over my lifetime), I don't think I've ever seen anyone who looked like they were drunk.

As far as DCA, for whatever reason, I have no problem with it there, as long as it's kept in designated areas. As I recall, you had to stay in a specific place, you couldn't just walk around with a drink in your hand. Maybe it has to do with it being sold there from day one. Maybe it's because I've only been to DCA a couple of times in the early 2000s & never observed any problem. I admit I don't have the emotional attachment to DCA that I do to DL.

I do have a question for our frequent DCA visitors or for Cast Members; have any of you ever seen any alcohol-related problems, ie intoxicated guests making fools or nuisances of themselves at DCA?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure it will just start up the debate again as to why there is alcohol in DCA..... since Walt didn't want alcohol in "his park" and by extension, DCA is also Walt's park. :
    I would hardly consider DCA to be Walt's park.

• Blew By You

I am glad there's no alcohol in Disneyland (Club 33 only). And I'm not opposed to it being served in DCA.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Well, here is a quote, from Walt Disney himself, made to journalist Pete Martin for the Saturday Evening Post in the summer of 1956, when asked about how Disneyland was so different from other amusement parks:

No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don't have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax.

I trust this now settles the debate.
    1. At MC, things are rarely settled, let alone a debate.
    2. So what's up? Did Walt just randomly send in quotable quotes to the Saturday Evening Post? What was the question and context? It sounds very work related and not guest related.
    3. Source? Cannot say something is settled w/out the source details.

JFTR, I feel DL doesn't need beer and wine. It was a success for 57 yrs w/out it. I am not even sure there was a noticeable debate in the past on MC.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Minion

I've never minded that they don't serve alchohol at Disneyland and I wouldn't mind if they ever added it.

I did once enjoy a drink at the Cove Bar while watching World of Color .

Regarding the quote, I wonder if Walt was trying to avoid Disneyland being associated with carnivals where alchohol might be served (something I don't think Disneyland has to worry about anymore).
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    1. At MC, things are rarely settled, let alone a debate.
    This debate is. Q.E.D.

2. So what's up? Did Walt just randomly send in quotable quotes to the Saturday Evening Post? What was the question and context? It sounds very work related and not guest related.
    "Guest-related?" I have no idea what that means. And no, Walt didn't just "send quotable quotes" to a magazine. It was an interview, which--though not stated outright--was sort of implied by the "when asked..." phrase in my post.

Here's the question and answer in full:

Pete Martin: Let's talk a little about Disneyland and how it's so different from other amusement parks.

Walt: It really takes a person more than a day to see the park without exhausting themselves. And as I get these new things in, it's going to take more time. It's one of those things that people who come in here for the first time and everything's there and they sort of make a hog of themselves, you see? Well, a lot of people come back the third time and just like to sit and listen to the band, see the horses going around. I like to go down and sit by the river and watch the people. Chewing gum sticks up things so we don't sell it. And peanut shells. We sell the unshelled. But shelled peanuts, they just crumble them and throw them all over the place. And nothing with round sticks. People trip on them. The ice cream bars got flat sticks and I won't sell any of this spun candy because the kids get it and get it all over everything and people get it on their hands. No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don't have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax. When it comes to Disneyland, I feel I've given the public everything I can give them. My daughter, Diane, says that I spend too much time around the house talking about how I can give them more for their money when they come to the park. You've got to build. You've got to keep it clean. You don't want to walk in a dirty toilet. I won't have 'em. My toilets are spic and span. And you know another thing, I have to have police so there's no child molesters there. I've got plainclothesmen. They can leave their kids to run around and I have safety inspectors. It's run in a high class manner and I have a high class clientele. The people who go to the park are from all walks of life but they look like solid Americans. That's pretty high class.

3. Source? Cannot say something is settled w/out the source details.
    I gave you the source.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-02-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast