How are cast member ride assignments handled?

Can someone tell me how it works? How does one work Matterhorn or avoid a ride they hate? Is there a waiting line to become a JC skipper? What if I only want to work space mountain?

Re: How are cast member ride assignments handled?

I know that rides like the Monorail or the DLRR have a super long waiting list AND you need to be working in attractions for a certain number of time. To be a Jungle Cruise skipper I'm pretty sure you need to do an audition. Other than that I don't know how CM are assigned, though I'd assume they wouldn't assign a new CM to a complex and difficult attraction like Space Mountain.

• Minion

I thought one of the complaints regarding attractions was that the Jungle Cruise skipper wasn't by audition. Can't wait to read CM replies on this thread.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarar44 View Post
    I'd assume they wouldn't assign a new CM to a complex and difficult attraction like Space Mountain.
    Space is for senior CM's because it has to be loaded quickly or can problems happens because of back ups.

You don't pick and choose where you work, you apply for difference areas, attractions, food and beverage, retail, etcetera. Then they assign you to one. If you go in wanting to be working a specific attraction, expect to end up stocking beverage carts.

I believe Jungle Cruise is an attraction in which newly hired CMs can work.

• Hot FIRE!

they assign you based on what is open at the time you hire in and for crosstraining, it's based on demand for what attraction needs more CMs. IF you choose to transfer you can but usually only after 4 months in the area you're in.

Now as far as I know just for the area, Space Mt. you need (Ideally) to know 2 attractions prior to Space though you COULD get it as a 2nd attraction if you're on top of your current attraction and assuming you are seen by your other Leadership CMs as competent in what you're doing. Finally you then can ask to be trained there and then you're on a list with whoever else signed up. Space recently lost many to carsland so we needed badly CMs and took more newer people than usual but not too many want to learn it and for good reason. it's the hardest attraction to operate and learn at the resort.

...As I see it

• Minion

I hired in back in 1983 so I can't comment with a lot of knowledge on current hiring practices.
    Back then though casting had a lot to do with your appearance, and where they needed CMs. I'm sure there were those who got what they asked for during the interview, but back in '83 it was hard to get a job at the park and they were highly selective. I didn't want to do anything that might come off as picky, or worse yet, demanding. I got Tomorrowland Attractions.
    As an Attraction person in Tomorrowland, it's true there were certain attractions they usually trained you on first. In Tomorrowland, Subs and Autopia were big "first stops" for guys. I got Autopia. Jets and Mars were where a lot of women went, as well as Autopia, Inner Space, and America Sings.
    As for Space Mountain, the above comment is true. It usually came later in your job knowledge as it could be somewhat challenging to work. Dispatch times are pretty quick, it backs up pretty easily, and overall, can be pretty stressful, so it requires you to keep your wits about you so to speak.
    After Autopia, I was trained on America Sings and Circlevision first and not long after got trained on Space Mountain guest control and then the attraction itself.
    If you were a strong CM though they'd cross train you pretty quickly as they did with me. Probably the same thing today.
    When I went over to Fantasyland, I got trained on Matterhorn pretty quickly, probably because I had Space on my job knowledge and, if anything, Matterhorn (though it can back up and go 101 if you're not paying attention) is slower paced than Space. I did, however, work with a young woman who had hired into the park only 6 months before to work the State Fair game booths and when she was transferred into Fantasyland Attractions got trained on Matterhorn first. That was most unusual though.
    As for the west side, the landscape of Disneyland, gender-wise, was a bit different back then, and this was especially true over in that area of the park. In Adventure/Frontierland, guys worked Jungle Cruise and Twain/Columbia, gals did not. So, as I recall, Jungle could very easily be one of the first things (if not THE first thing) guys were trained on over there. Kind of like Subs were in Tomorrowland.
    The interesting thing though was despite its popularity with guests, Jungle wasn't always perceived as the "holy grail" of attractions that many guests probably thought it was. Certainly it's an attraction staple of Disneyland and one of the most iconic attractions in the park, but I knew quite a few guys trained over there who didn't like it all that much. Women couldn't work it though, so it opened up quite a few shifts for guys by comparison to some of the other attractions in the area.
    Overall, casting could be a significant part of where you were placed back then, and appearance played a big part in that casting. Some guys, for example, fit the "look" of Frontierland better than others. Maybe they had a more rugged look than someone like me who still looked like I was 15 when I was 18. Some of the ladies were cast in Fantasyland Attractions because of a certain look too.
    I don't know how much they still do that though.
    And I'm not sure how much you can choose which attraction you do or don't work on. Maybe you can the longer you're there, but for me (and considering the selective nature of the park back in '83), I didn't want to come off as picky, so I just let it play itself out as my bosses so desired when I first hired in. Later, I was asked if I wanted to train on Circlevision, and shortly thereafter they told me they wanted to train me on Space. It never crossed my mind to say no. I went with the flow because turnover was low, and I felt privileged to be working there. I wasn't going to mess it up.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 08-03-2012 at 09:28 PM.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Overall, casting could be a significant part of where you were placed back then too, and appearance played a big part in that casting. Some guys, for example, fit the "look" of Frontierland better than others. Maybe they had a more rugged look than someone like me who still looked like I was 15 when I was 18. Some of the ladies were cast in Fantasyland Attractions because of a certain look too.
    I don't know how much they still do that though.
    They don't. Haven't since probably the '90s.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    They don't. Haven't since probably the '90s.
    Thanks. I was going to say it doesn't really seem like it from what I've seen at the park nowadays.