Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• -

Re: Injured at DCA...and no one really cared. (Mater's New Ride)

Quote Originally Posted by misfits138 View Post
    There are signs posted requesting individuals in poor health or with physical conditions not to ride . You fall into this category based on your own description (slow, 300 lbs).
    A person's weigh is not directly porportional to their health. Perhaps if he was 5'1" and weighed 300lbs, the odds of that being a valid conclusion may improve. However there are many factors involved to determine if someone is healthy, and weight is just one of them.

By choosing to ride anyway, you chose to accept the risk and are soley liable for your injury.
    He was clobberred with a ride vehicle. While there is always some risk with any ride that something like that will occur, this doesn't make the person here is any more liable for his injury than the person on Big Thunder who had the train do a barrel roll over him.

The circumstances you describe do not pose a significant risk to physical healthy individuals.
    As was mentioned several times, if a smaller rider had been hit, it may have broken their leg. Also, we have yet to see what would happen if an unhealthy individual was hit.

So repeat occurences are not a reasonable possibility for anyone who heeds Disney's written and posted advice which can found at the ride location and in the park guide.
    Repeat occurances are always a posibility until the exact cause of this incident can be determined and corrected regardless if one heeds the posted advice on ride safety or not.

So my suggestion is too be grateful it wasn't a serious injury and move on.
    I'm sorry, but this just strikes me as a very callous comment to someone who was just trying to let the park know that their ride injured him and they may want to check it out before it happens to someone else, possibly more severely.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I am pretty disappointed (though, not shocked) by some of the responses like this here. He just told his story and asked for our opinions. It actually sounds like he just wants this to be corrected so that nothing worse happens to anyone else later down the road. There is no need for stuff like this. Makes it real clear why some of us have stopped using MiceChat recently.
    It is not too surprising when there are so many Micechatters who are outraged whenever a safety modification to an attraction. That is what is really disappointing to me.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

I don't blame the guest who was injured.

He weights (300 lbs) and a presumably light weight young daughter (50 lbs), . . . apparently this is weight imbalance which causes the ride to behave differently, i.e. swing all the way to the side when stopping. Obviously, there is some sort of mechanical dampening system which uses springs and buffers the sideways movement and this is where the stored up mechanical energy was that made the car move after it was stopped.

This is a ride design problem, as the rides HAVE to be able to accomodate people who weight around 300 lbs. Is being overweight/obese a serious health problem? Most doctors would say no, that in itself it is not. Besides, there are probably some even taller guys, 7' tall guys, who weigh near 300 lbs, yet aren't necessarily having mobility problems.

Point being: there will be many, many more 300 lbs and above people riding the ride with little kids.

Notice how the Matterhorn bobsleds don't accomodate easily guests of a certain height. Disney is making mistakes in terms of building attractions that can accomodate all body sizes. Plus, Mater's doesn't have cushioning, and I believe it is based on older amusement park ride technology, back when people were a lot slimmer possibly, or it might be that they used too big springs to buffer the twisting motion.

Anyway, the OP should have gone to First Aid to have this documented, City Hall is run by run of the mill castmembers, not health care professionals. They were happy not to document it as if this ever went to court, the injured guest would have no documentation.

I would suggest that the OP go get checked out at Urgent Care, especially if he is still having problems. Who knows? It could become a chronic pain issue and the OP wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on later on.

•   
    • Minion

If a ride is hitting people, or if weight is enough to unbalance it, it's definitely a problem.

Also, to be fair with injuries, a lot of the time it's not immediately apparent that there's a problem. Bruises sometimes take a while to form, and it's entirely plausible that a person could get bumped, report it to the ride operator, go on with their day because they think they're fine, and discover that they are scary shades of black and blue later on. It's entirely possible for someone to look at an injury hours later, realize it's still hurting or swollen, and think "wow, this is worse than I thought, maybe I should get help for it."

The guy doesn't sound as though he has his hand out for anything; it sounds as though he simply wants people to know and wants Disney to do something to make sure it doesn't happen again. Unless Disney really wants people to leave the park with bruises, *shouldn't* they be concerned?

Also, the last thing to say about the weight: there is NO weight restriction listed on Mater, none at all. If a weight maximum or minimum were a qualifier for participation, it would be posted on the ride sign. We like to jump on people as soon as they post a weight that is above standards, but if the guy were 5'11" and 150, or he were a child that was 4'0", or a woman that was 5'6" and 125, would it be any more or less acceptable for them to be injured on the ride?

Also, it's the responsibility of the CMs to ensure that the riders are safe, and they have the right to take people off if they don't meet the height requirement, if they're visibly pregnant or have some sort of condition that would make it unsafe to ride. Obviously the CMs who loaded this attraction didn't have an issue with the OP or his weight. Why should anyone here?

It sucks that you got hurt. But the good news is that your daughter was unharmed and you were apparently able to walk off that injury and enjoy a full day at the park. If you were truly injured, you should seek immediate medical attention regardless of what plans you had set for the day. The report you filed will be recorded and help in the process of resolving the issue if further reports show a high frequency of this occuring. So that's good news too! I don't see any reason for them to record your name unless you were seeking some sort of compensation or damages from Disney, or filing an official complaint. But since you did not seek any medical attention immediately after the injury, your injury translates to nothing more than an "owie" in the eyes of Disney.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    They are giving opinions to the OP, perhaps not the ones they were expecting or even wanting to see, but they are opinions none the less.

Perhaps as one poster said, if we didnt have a 'sue-happy' society, perhaps people wouldnt be as cynical as they are.
    Again, it's not the opinions people are giving, it's the rude commentary they are adding in.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 08-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I am pretty disappointed (though, not shocked) by some of the responses like this here. He just told his story and asked for our opinions. It actually sounds like he just wants this to be corrected so that nothing worse happens to anyone else later down the road. There is no need for stuff like this. Makes it real clear why some of us have stopped using MiceChat recently.
    Why? Because we aren't sympathetic he didn't get compensation for a bruise? Because someone doesn't like the DEFINITION of what 'obese' is?

The OP even stated at the end that a perk would have made him happy about it all. Are we supposed to embrace a cuddle such attitudes or be considered the 'peanut gallery' for not agreeing with such behavior? I find your dismissals of others opinions far more offensive than any post prior.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    I think what everyone is trying to say is, why not just go to First-Aid instead of reporting it to Guest Relations?
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    At 6'6" and 300 pounds there is a better then even chance that he is far from obese he is all around large for an example of a different way to look at this Jason Taylor of the Miami Dolphins is 6'6" and 290 pounds if you think he is obese then you need to look again
    Funny.. I look up Jason Taylor and find him listed at 244lbs - not 300lbs. And certainly the extreme of a professional football player is certainly the exception to the definition we should use to disqualify all other applications of it BMI doesn't measure body fat, but is used as a rule of thumb to help screen people. Obviously the EXTREME edges may not apply - but unless the OP is a professional weight lifter or pro athelete.. the comment is valid.

There is a medical definition of obese - you don't have to like it - but it exists. BMI over 30kg/m2
    Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Adult: Defining - DNPAO - CDC

My BMI puts me as obese as well.. but I accept it.. even at 6'2"
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

At this point, you should photograph your injuries, and print them. Write a very to the point letter explaining exactly what happened (you haven't done that here yet), how it happened, who the CM was you reported the initially injury to, the time/date of the incident, what you did about the injury, who you contacted at Guest Relations in DCA, the time/date there, and explain that you felt you were overlooked, and that you feel this is a serious injury. I was trying to figure out how this happened, when someone above posted the possible scenerio. Perhaps we need to have the ride taken down to put in the locking seat belts to prevent people from getting off too early and getting injured. If an adult can miscalculate the time the ride is stopped, smaller children will do this even more often. Imagine if a couple 7yo were riding together and unbuckled early.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

There are signs posted requesting individuals in poor health or with physical conditions not to ride . You fall into this category based on your own description (slow, 300 lbs). By choosing to ride anyway, you chose to accept the risk and are soley liable for your injury. The circumstances you describe do not pose a significant risk to physical healthy individuals. So repeat occurences are not a reasonable possibility for anyone who heeds Disney's written and posted advice which can found at the ride location and in the park guide. So my suggestion is too be grateful it wasn't a serious injury and move on.
    "Ride at your own risk" signs absolutely do not absolve a theme park of any and all liability in the event of an injury.

I think you should sue Disney. Some people believe they need to protect Disney and its is pretty sad to see. This person was injured of no fault of his own and some are blaming him? WTH? Disney can handle their problems without the peons coming to their rescue. LOL so sad some of you can be.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    I placed one foot on the ground and shifted my 300 weight off of the rear portion of the ride.... when I shifted weight, the ride corrected itself back to the original starting position hitting my ankle with a lot of force.... enough to break the skin and bruise the area.

Now I reported it right away....it happened exactly at 3:30.... but no one seemed to care....

Finally, when we left. I went to the DCA Chamber of Commerce and reported it again....

I suppose I shoudl add that I was not looking to sue or over react... but a more sincere aplology and maybe a VIP seat to world of Colour or Fantatsmic... (Which we missed that night - our only chance to see it) because I would not walk all the way.
    Who did you report it to right away? The CM working at Mater's? And you asked the Mater's CM for a nurse or medical assistance and they said no?

If a Guest goes up to a CM and says they are hurt and can't walk to First Aid and needs assistance, the CM is supposed to call right away. This CM just stared at you and failed to give you information about how to walk to First Aid, and didn't ask you if you wanted to wait for the nurse to come to you?

And when you went to Guest Relations (Chamber of Commerce) to report your injury, if you were injured why didn't you first go into the doors to the right of Chamber of Commerce that are labeled "First Aid"?

Name:  ITP-BVS-IMG_0281.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  81.9 KB
    http://www.miceshots.com/usr/65/ITP-BVS-IMG_0281.jpg

And if you failed to see the First Aid sign as you walked up to the Chamber of Commerce, or you had lost your park map to find the First Aid station listed on the park map, and no CM you interacted with the rest of the day could tell you where First Aid was... during your conversation with the Chamber of Commerce CM when you were telling them of your injury, they never once mentioned that First Aid was right next door and a nurse could tend to your injury if you wanted? No CM you spoke with offered any sort of instructions on how to get medical assistance in the park after you told repeated CM's that you had been injured on an attraction?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Moderator Warning:

This thread is starting to venture way off track with borderline personal attacks, and personal asides aimed at the OP. He asked for opinions, but did not ask to have his motivations or his physical attributes called into question.

Discuss within the parameters of the OP's question, do it without getting overly personal.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I think thats what he is saying. Its amazing when perfect people make mistakes huh? Those perfect Disney cast members never could just be plain ignorant.

Last edited by penguinsoda; 08-03-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Removed comment that was in violation of site rules

• Banned User

I think the big question is whether Mater's is unsafe. As regular readers/posters will know, guests riding Mater's have complained that you can get "squished" when you ride Mater, and possibly injured if there is something between you and the wall.

Now we've got reports that the ride vehicle, after being stopped, is still spring loaded and can swing and injure somebody when exiting. One 300 lbs guy and a little kid, or maybe two 200 lbs guys. The OP is very correct to be concerned that this swinging action could hurt a kid as the ride vehicle probably weighs half a ton, it not more.

In terms of obesity/overweight . . . a lot of guests fall into this category, and the rides need to be safe for everybody. I bet that Mater could hurt normal weight people as well. Obesity isn't necessarily equal being unhealthy, but it is a warning sign for obese people that they should eat healthier, and fewer calories, and exercise more to decrease the risk of getting obesity related diseases. Its a predictor of future health. For the OP, he might want to lose weight to feel better, i.e. move around easier, but it has nothing to do with what happened and the accident isn't his fault.

100% agree with poster that said you can overlook an injury, which can become worse, i.e. more pain due to swelling.

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So you got a bruise.. I'm not sure what you were expecting to happen? A ride shutdown to investigate? A stretcher? Did anyone offer to head to first aid? The last thing would be all I expect of the company. Offer the guest to head to first aid where more treatment can be offered. You obviously didn't need onsite treatment.

Curious what retribution you ask if a stroller runs into you.

And 300lbs even at 6'6' is heavy.. obese by most definitions.
    Wrong.

From a sports medicine/ER perspective, the guy would have been well served by ICE and an NSAID to help reduce inflammation, and would probably have been well advised to stay off his foot for the rest of the day. (Could be wheelchaired around, why compound an injury?) He does weigh 300 lbs, he might not cope as well with an injury as others OR his injury could simply be worse than it looks.

He should have been wheelchaired over to First Aid where somebody with an ounce of medical training could attend to him, not told to walk over himself.

DLR is a fun place, easy to overlook an injury until it forces you to stop.

Take it from a professional.

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

The OP even stated at the end that a perk would have made him happy about it all. Are we supposed to embrace a cuddle such attitudes or be considered the 'peanut gallery' for not agreeing with such behavior?
    Disney routinely gives perks to guests who suffered far much less! You lose a balloon, they give you a balloon, your new bought figurine breaks on Main Street, you get another one . . .

I really feel for the guy, his daughter almost got hurt! Yes, some "apology" in the form of a freebie would help, instead of not being offered proper medical care and brushed off. Obviously, the CMs have only rudimentary First Aid knowledge, if any.

Saying sorry and offering something is a good way to avoid lawsuits. An acknowledgement that something wrong happened, it is not so much the freebie, though the guy deserves free tickets for another day I would say.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think the big question is whether Mater's is unsafe. As regular readers/posters will know, guests riding Mater's have complained that you can get "squished" when you ride Mater, and possibly injured if there is something between you and the wall.
    Come on.. it's a whip ride. That's whats SUPPOSED to happen. It shouldn't even be brought up in the same paragraph as questioning safety..

Now we've got reports that the ride vehicle, after being stopped, is still spring loaded and can swing and injure somebody when exiting. One 300 lbs guy and a little kid, or maybe two 200 lbs guys. The OP is very correct to be concerned that this swinging action could hurt a kid as the ride vehicle probably weighs half a ton, it not more.
    I think it's valid question (tho I question a half a ton on the trailer..). It sounds like if the trailer is weighted very heavily, depending on it's resting position as the ride slows to a stop, it may not be centered, and the static friction from the larger load overpowers the spring or whatever centers the vehicle. A solution may be to simply run the cars longer at low speed as the ride stops to ensure the heavier vehicles have a better shot at center.. or may require locks that can 'catch' the vehicle centered and run the ride until all hit center. But that would require physical modification to the ride vehicles and ride system changes. This is something they might notice over time needs improvement.

Wrong.

From a sports medicine/ER perspective, the guy would have been well served by ICE and an NSAID to help reduce inflammation, and would probably have been well advised to stay off his foot for the rest of the day. (Could be wheelchaired around, why compound an injury?) He does weigh 300 lbs, he might not cope as well with an injury as others OR his injury could simply be worse than it looks. He should have been wheelchaired over to First Aid where somebody with an ounce of medical training could attend to him, not told to walk over himself.
    Yet he managed to get around the rest of the day without so much discomfort that it caused him to do anyone about it. He managed the rest of his trip, and didn't mention any problems now - only a 'bruise' and 'broke the skin'. Sure you can be cautious with the treatments at the time, but I had hindsight in my corner when I what I did.

My daughter came back from the barn today with a bruise nearly 3" across where a horse bit her. What did she do? Sucked it up.. and went back to the barn later to ride more. She has a bruise.. and moved on.

Disney routinely gives perks to guests who suffered far much less! You lose a balloon, they give you a balloon, your new bought figurine breaks on Main Street, you get another one . . .
    Huge difference between giving something as a comfort.. and people EXPECTING compensation.

It reminds me of people who get pissy if they don't get a compliment. Uhh.. they are things to be OFFERED, not demanded.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• -

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    "Ride at your own risk" signs absolutely do not absolve a theme park of any and all liability in the event of an injury.
    Exactly. People have been throwing around the Assumption of Risk defense without really knowing what it means. In order to use Assumption of Risk as a defense, the defendant must show that the plaintiff new and appreciated the danger of whatever they were going to do and proceeded to undertake that conduct in spite of it
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast