Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: Injured at DCA...and no one really cared. (Mater's New Ride)

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

I think it's valid question (tho I question a half a ton on the trailer..). It sounds like if the trailer is weighted very heavily, depending on it's resting position as the ride slows to a stop, it may not be centered, and the static friction from the larger load overpowers the spring or whatever centers the vehicle. A solution may be to simply run the cars longer at low speed as the ride stops to ensure the heavier vehicles have a better shot at center.. or may require locks that can 'catch' the vehicle centered and run the ride until all hit center. But that would require physical modification to the ride vehicles and ride system changes. This is something they might notice over time needs improvement.

Yet he managed to get around the rest of the day without so much discomfort that it caused him to do anyone about it. He managed the rest of his trip, and didn't mention any problems now - only a 'bruise' and 'broke the skin'.

My daughter came back from the barn today with a bruise nearly 3" across where a horse bit her. What did she do? Sucked it up.. and went back to the barn later to ride more. She has a bruise.. and moved on.

Wow, I get to use both my physics degree and the fact that I am a medical doctor to refute a post!

Your Physics is Wrong

Yes, the static friction between the wheel of the "cart" part of the ride vehicle and the ground is integral, but you don't understand that the large "spring" isn't there to center the cart at the end of the ride, but to dampen the oscillations of the cart in motion (yeah, we're talking about deceleration and whip-lash issues). It doesn't matter as far as loading when it comes to the final position of the cart, unless your talking from aesthetics pov. From an engineering standpoint having something for the cart to catch on wouldn't work due to the forces involved. To catch a car midway you'd have to stop the cart with a pretty sudden deceleration.

You're Not a Doctor, but perhaps play one on television.

A lot of injuries seen in ER are benign appearing, as the patient looks fine, only to worsen. Heck, we see tons of auto accidents in my ER and without a doubt the pain is worse on the second day, why we give them NSAIDs and counseling upon discharge if everything checks out and sadly we see the "lucid interval" folks who die of an undiagnosed brain bleed hours later because they thought everything was fine and showed up too late for neurosurg to operate. Looks are deceiving, that why proper evaluation is important, as well as preventive care. For OP, his condition could worsen many hours after the initial injury, I've seen soldiers during wartime continue to fight with injuries that would hobble a civilian. Is going to DLR war? Certainly, you got your catecholamines going and you got goals, like riding everything in the park, similar physiologically.

The mechanism of injury (bonus talking physics and medicine!) is different between a 3" horse bite and an impact injury from a metal cart that perhaps weight about 400 lbs, close to one quarter of a ton. That leg slowed a big heavy object, might be consider a crush injury by some, and though it looks "not that bad" on the surface, probably was enough force to have caused a lower leg fracture in an elderly person with osteoporosis as skin was broken by a blunt object.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-03-2012 at 08:35 PM.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

In my opinion riding many times , don't get off till its done moving plain and simple. The ride works fine IMO. Sounds like premature exiting

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 08:45 PM ----------

I have been injured at dl by being lost in the magic and falling off the curb. First aid was very nice and documented everything

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 09:00 PM ----------

I rolled my ankle and got FREE ICE!
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    In my opinion riding many times , don't get off till its done moving plain and simple. The ride works fine IMO. Sounds like premature exiting

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 08:45 PM ----------

I have been injured at dl by being lost in the magic and falling off the curb. First aid was very nice and documented everything

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 09:00 PM ----------

I rolled my ankle and got FREE ICE!
    It wasn't premature exiting, the "cart" part of the ride vehicle which holds the guests is free to move back and forth, even when the ride ends. From pictures there is a very large spring which serves to dampen the oscillations of the cart when in motion, i.e. smooth out the jerking motion making it safer, or smoother, or most probably both. If the cart's movement at the peak of an oscillation to one side was stopped by metal smacking metal, it would be a sudden deceleration of a certain degree, hence the spring.

The problem was that the cart was stuck at an angle upon the ride stopping (I have seen this happen in videos posted online, ostensibly different riders), and when the weight was taken off the cart, the spring pulled the cart to the center position and the guest got smacked.

This is a big problem, as a kid could get hurt by a 500 lbs cart smacking them over. Solution: probably decrease the tension in the springs slightly so that they can't pull the unweighted cart once the ride has ended. Maybe the problem will fix itself as the ride ages, but it is a serious problem.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Wow, I get to use both my physics degree and the fact that I am a medical doctor to refute a post!

Your Physics is Wrong
    A centering guide can be used without any sudden forces. It's all dictated by the rides speed.

As for your diagnosis - I guess you should be lecturing the op for failing to take himself to the ER for his boo boo - not us. After all it's all life threatening right??

Interesting you mention brain bleeds. When my oldest took a spill, we did rush her to the er where she was airlifted to have emergency surgery for a subdural bleed and hemotoba - so im all too aware of such risks.. But are you really trying to argue that a bruise on his ankle is a ticking bomb? Yet days later we already know it wasn't. I can state he didn't need help because the op has already proved it!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    It wasn't premature exiting, the "cart" part of the ride vehicle which holds the guests is free to move back and forth, even when the ride ends. From pictures there is a very large spring which serves to dampen the oscillations of the cart when in motion, i.e. smooth out the jerking motion making it safer, or smoother, or most probably both. If the cart's movement at the peak of an oscillation to one side was stopped by metal smacking metal, it would be a sudden deceleration of a certain degree, hence the spring.

The problem was that the cart was stuck at an angle upon the ride stopping (I have seen this happen in videos posted online, ostensibly different riders), and when the weight was taken off the cart, the spring pulled the cart to the center position and the guest got smacked.

This is a big problem, as a kid could get hurt by a 500 lbs cart smacking them over. Solution: probably decrease the tension in the springs slightly so that they can't pull the unweighted cart once the ride has ended. Maybe the problem will fix itself as the ride ages, but it is a serious problem.
    Sounds like you havent been on it , I have many times! Maybe wiggle a little and it goes right back to center. And I know that thing isn't 500 lb it's mostly fiberglass

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 10:07 PM ----------

Also The spring is what pushes it to center not the other way around , I have an enginering degree I can see how it works

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 10:42 PM ----------

I works similar to the springs on an elevator , it absorbs the push from the side to side swing and pushes it to center. I weigh 210 and my girlfriend weighs around 105 we never have a problem and I have yet to see anyone else while waiting in the half hour lines. I'm waiting in line right now to investigate
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• -

Sounds like premature exiting
    If that is the case then there is a flaw in the ride's design that allows unsuspecting riders to exit before they are supposed to

I have yet to see anyone else while waiting in the half hour lines.
    If it happened once, it can happen again.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, it looks like just about everything that can be said has been, from genuinely informative posts, to some pretty harsh and judgmental words about fellow members.

This thread is closed.

Thanks for your understanding.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234