Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• ooooooOO!

Re: Removing the Mickey Wheel

I agree with what everyone brought up. Despite it being a "generic ride" plus, it really is no different from the simplicity of teacups or the carousel in Fantasyland, which was from Walt's day. Disneyland's charm is in its variety, and a ferris wheel ride adds this variety perfectly in the seaside theme.

• Under that tree again!

MFW also serves a big purpose. It is part of the berm for DCA. It creates a visual barrier so we don't see the outside world. MFW, along with CS, the Caddilac Range, ToT and the Hyperion Theater are all tall and the visual edge of the resort. These things block to long views from stretching further.

I mean, with that logic, you could say Screamin' should be taken away because there are roller coasters at most amusement parks too....
    "I know; my boyfriend is a Jungle Cruise skipper...."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I can't stand when people try to use the "Walt wouldn't have wanted this" so-called excuse.

The Mickey Wheel is fine and I think it compliments the look and feel of Paradise Pier.
    Well, I think it's something that will probably continue to happen for a long time. The park does have his name on it still and he had a pretty clearly defined philosophy of what he wanted his park to be. Hence people will always take that philosophy of Walt's as they themselves interpret it and determine for themselves what they think he would and wouldn't have wanted in the park.

It's all speculation of course, and most of us know it is.

But for myself, having worked at the park from '83 through '94 and having been taught the Disney "way" not only through orientation but as a trainee in Attractions, you certainly can't help but take that philosophy that is ingrained in your thoughts and evaluate changes that occur at the park, wondering what he would have thought.

Walt is forever connected to this magical place and because it did have a philosophy behind it that was unique and a movement away from traditional "amusement" parks, people will definitely have their opinions about what THEY think Walt would have thought about his park 50+ years later. I know I do.

As for the Mickey Wheel, it certainly fits the area. With the types of rides it has, that part of DCA looks like an old time carnival so a ferris wheel fits it perfectly.

Now I used to hear that Walt never really wanted a ferris wheel in his park, but I don't know if that's a documented fact or not. I know he didn't want an amusement park in the traditional sense of the concept. And cleanliness was the biggest part of it.

It's one of those things though that, much to the irritation of some, will be debated as one of those "what would Walt have done (or thought)" questions. And who knows? Speculation will always be a big part of it, but you also can't separate him or his philosophy from the changes that occur, even today, because he was such a special man who brought a very special park to the world in his own unique way. And it still has his name on it.

• I'm a Lutheran

I have seen ancient concept art for a ferris wheel themed to the Old Mill for Fantasyland...if I recall correctly it was drawn in a pre-Disneyland time so you never know if he was up for one.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    I have seen ancient concept art for a ferris wheel themed to the Old Mill for Fantasyland...if I recall correctly it was drawn in a pre-Disneyland time so you never know if he was up for one.
    Very well could be. And very possible that had Walt lived he might have had one put in after all.

I just remember when they put the ferris wheel on Main St. for State Fair Days, quite a few of my fellow CMs who had worked there since the early days made certain comments about it.

But who knows?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I'm ok with it because....

1) It's used well in WOC....
    2) Looks nice
    3) not enough room to make another attraction in it's spot and it gets 30 mins lines
    RE: 1) NOT! It distracts from the WOC show.
    2) Not in mt opinion.
    3) Maybe, maybe not. No one has done any blue sky too determine if there is or not.

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chloealpert View Post
    I mean, with that logic, you could say Screamin' should be taken away because there are roller coasters at most amusement parks too....
    Well, Disney DID cheap out on it's design.

• Insomniac

Yes Walt hated ferris wheels which is why he had a design for a windmill ferris wheel for Disneyland? That makes no sense. Walt had no problems with any ride system (as far as I know) he did have a problem with Rides that were just thrown in Willie nille like they were at Amusement parks. Disneyland is so different not because it had completely different rides (none of the opening day attractions were really unique) its different because instead of just having rides, Disneyland has lands with rides that compliment the land. Mickey's fun wheel actually fits really well thematically with the 1920's pier theme (which the pierside amusement park was a horrible idea in itsself but that's a topic for another thread). Personally I'd rather it was gone, but it doesn't bother me that much... Screamin' (although i love it) on the other hand does bother me because the rethemed the pier, but Screamin' is exactly the same and why is there a steel looping coaster in a 1920's pier anyways? It's not going anywhere, obviously, so I'm not worried about it (It would be nice if they would add some kind of wall/ rock work behind screamin to block out the convention center though. Also fix the queue already).
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

You mean this Ferris Wheel that is in Disneyland Paris?!

Disneyland Paris - Fantasyland buildings 2 - Mill | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• I'm a Lutheran

You guys're probably right about it being for DLP...but I seriously recall seeing concept art for it at Disneyland somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's shown in the 50th Anniversary retrospective book in close proximity to concept art for Duck Bumps and International Street. My copy of the book is falling apart from being red too much, so if someone could check it out, that'd be great. If it wasn't planned for Disneyland at some point and isn't the book, I'll do something ridiculous as if I've lost a bet.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Is this it?
    Name:  oldmill_ferriswheel_web.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  16.6 KB

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Yes Walt hated ferris wheels which is why he had a design for a windmill ferris wheel for Disneyland? That makes no sense. Walt had no problems with any ride system (as far as I know) he did have a problem with Rides that were just thrown in Willie nille like they were at Amusement parks. Disneyland is so different not because it had completely different rides (none of the opening day attractions were really unique) its different because instead of just having rides, Disneyland has lands with rides that compliment the land. Mickey's fun wheel actually fits really well thematically with the 1920's pier theme (which the pierside amusement park was a horrible idea in itsself but that's a topic for another thread). Personally I'd rather it was gone, but it doesn't bother me that much... Screamin' (although i love it) on the other hand does bother me because the rethemed the pier, but Screamin' is exactly the same and why is there a steel looping coaster in a 1920's pier anyways? It's not going anywhere, obviously, so I'm not worried about it (It would be nice if they would add some kind of wall/ rock work behind screamin to block out the convention center though. Also fix the queue already).
    Which is exactly why I said that I really don't know, buddy.

Concept art, however, doesn't mean that Walt requested a ferris wheel. Nor does it mean he didn't. It means that an idea was thrown out there in pictures and some things were kept; others were not. And we do know a ferris wheel never made it into the park.

Does this mean that Walt saw these visions in the concept art and nixed the ferris wheel because he didn't like the idea of having one in his park? Possibly.

Or could it be that he asked his artists to come up with a rendering for Fantasyland that included a ferris wheel but nixed it because there wasn't enough in the budget for it (or whatever)?

Again, we'll never know. Which is exactly why I noted as such and was only sharing the buzz that occurred among fellow CMs for a bit when the ferris wheel went in at Disneyland for the brief amount of time it was there.

Thanks for clarifying his philosophy though. I had no idea.

• Minion

I think Walt Disney had more of an issue with attractions that looked cheap, off the shelf, and dirty. Let's take the teacups and Dumbo for instance. These are two attractions that can be found at many carnival rides, but they are presented in a very different fashion in the parks. The same goes with Mickey's Fun Wheel. Yes you can ride a Ferris Wheel at many places, but not many have a view or theme that the Fun Wheel has.
    Jeff Wayne

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    RE: 1) NOT! It distracts from the WOC show.
    2) Not in mt opinion.
    3) Maybe, maybe not. No one has done any blue sky too determine if there is or not.

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 10:35 PM ----------

Well, Disney DID cheap out on it's design.
    It can't "distract" from a show it's part of. That's like saying the fireworks distract from Fantasmic. The fun wheel is GORGEOUS. Especially at night. It's become an iconic figure for the park, when Grizzly Peak failed to do so, and the Carthay struggles to do so.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I can't stand when people try to use the "Walt wouldn't have wanted this" so-called excuse.

The Mickey Wheel is fine and I think it compliments the look and feel of Paradise Pier.
    What the poster probably means is that when Walt was approached to do Disneyland, folks in the theme park industry told him that he needed a ferris wheel, roller coaster . . . Walt wanted to build a nicely landscaped theme park with themed attractions, a lot of research and thought went into Disneyland. I think it was Bob Price who asked about 30 or so theme park operators what they thought once they had decided on a general design, they all thought it would fail.

Paradise Pier was really planned out well, a lagoon and off the shelf rides, big deal. Eisner put in DCA to keep tourists from leaving the property for what he thought they were going to see:

1. Pier side amusement parks, ferris wheels.
    2. Hollywood
    3. Knott's Berry Farm, so they put in an identical river ride
    4. Cheap tourist shops
    5. Northern California, the Golden Gate bridge, which is gone . . .
    6. Cheap roller coaster

If somebody owned a ferris wheel in a parking lot in a big city, they could sell tickets and make money.

I was bored when riding Mickey's "fun wheel", as it wasn't very fun, went around once slowly as I recall, and the views aren't very pretty at all. Paradise Pier did away with heavily themed rides and good landscaping, sort of going with what the theme park owners told Walt should be in his park. If they charged $1.50 for a Ferris wheel ride that would be OK, but we're talking about folks who are paying a lot more just to get inside the park (another way Walt's park differed from others). And its a 40 minute wait for a boring ride.

I guess it made sense to ride it once, but I didn't even enjoy it the first time. It is more for show, than being a long time favorite for guests, IMHO. The loading time must be like 500 per hour?

---------- Post added 08-04-2012 at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I think Walt Disney had more of an issue with attractions that looked cheap, off the shelf, and dirty. Let's take the teacups and Dumbo for instance. These are two attractions that can be found at many carnival rides, but they are presented in a very different fashion in the parks. The same goes with Mickey's Fun Wheel. Yes you can ride a Ferris Wheel at many places, but not many have a view or theme that the Fun Wheel has.
    Some rides are easier to add magic to, the Tea cups are a favorite of mine, its the whole package, the Alice theming, the music, the nice landscaping around this area of Fantasyland, and the ride. Similarly with Dumbo, the area is nice w/ Casy Jr. and Fantasyland, and I always remember watching Dumbo.

Mickey's Fun Wheel looks good at a distance, but when riding . . . it's pretty industrial and ugly. Metal supports, a cement box sunk in the water. I can see why they were going to go with a victorian overlay as the ride isn't pretty to look at up close. I also think the view isn't that good as you see the backstage areas of DCA. When I rode the Fun Wheel, I felt like I was at a generic county faire or something, not a Disney park and I could feel in my bones that folks were having fun in Disneyland, but not so much around Paradise Pier.

When riding Teacups you see the Mad Hatter/Alice theme, when riding the Ferris wheel you don't really see any of the theme. Maybe when getting into the cage you see a Pluto stamped on the side, but there's nothing Disney about the ride itself.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-04-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast