Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• former CM

Re: Removing the Mickey Wheel

I love this scenic attraction. It's beautiful to look at--especially at night.
    And it's beautiful to look out from. We may no longer have the ski resort ride (the Skyway) nor the Peoplemover, but we do have this relaxing way to take in views with the whole family.

I prefer the non-swinging outside cars. I rode an inside one. Once.

Quote Originally Posted by ducktalesfan5555 View Post
    . . . I strongly disagree with you on the Golden Zephyr! It's . . . unique . . . and fits the theme of Paradise Pier . . .
    I too like the Golden Zephyr.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-03-2012 at 06:09 AM.

• We set sail for the sky

I love Mickey's Fun Wheel. It is the centerpiece of Paradise Pier and integral to World of Color so I can't see them ever removing it. (They could certainly stand to improve the queue however.) I'm terrified of heights actually, so I always feel like I've conquered my inner demons after I ride it. I also appreciate that you can ride the non-swinging gondolas for a relaxed view of the whole resort, and the swinging ones if you're in the mood for a thrill. Surprisingly, I actually prefer the swinging ones. Maybe it's because they don't go as high as the non-swinging gondolas.

• Hello Dolly.

The ride doesn't need to go.

It just needs to be fixed up like the remaining 2001-era parts of Paradise Pier.

• terrifiednerds.com

It does make a nice giant billboard for the parks.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    Jellyfish could at least be moved over to Flik's fun fair somehow.
    I didn't realize that a Jellyfish was an insect.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

[QUOTE=Sorcerer's Apprentice;1056816007]•If Walt had wanted one he could have put one in.
    •Most every other "amuzement" park and fair has one

Although it doesn't take up much real estate, it's an eyesore.

Okay, I kinda like it.[/QUOTE

I don't think the "what Walt would have wanted" argument applies at DCA. It's not an eyesore. It's well maintained and it lights up at night. Mickey's face is right in the middle. How can you say Mickey's face is an eyesore?

I love this ride. I love it's look. I have it as my background on my cell phone. The pier would not be Disney without it...

---------- Post added 10-03-2012 at 02:29 PM ----------

No eye eyesore. A wonderful Disney Visual Magnet...

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I see a lot of support here for the wheel so I'm sure my comments aren't going to be welcomed but the fact of the matter is this whole Paradise Pier land is an emulation of an idealized California boardwalk, and in doing that they basically made a land filled with attractions you can find in any theme park ( or boardwalk ) anywhere else. I have never been on that wheel nor do I have any interest in ever going on it. That whole corner of the park has been one big "meh" to me.

Outside you're in Anaheim, CA. Then you walk through the turnstyles into the park to find yourself in the far off imaginary land of.... Oh wait, you're still in California. Did you like the Supreme Scream at Knott's? Then you'll love the Mailboomer. Are you a huge fan of those traveling carnival swing rides? Here, hop in a giant orange and do the same thing. We Disney fans have the expectation of better rides and why shouldn't we? Disney has a proven history of raising the bar, often being THE PARK that everyone else tries to top.

....and then they bust out carnival rides and a ferris wheel?

Look, I get that a lot of you are fans of it and that there's arguments like it's a grand ferris wheel unlike the average one, and how it ties into world of color, etc. As far as Ferris Wheels go I'm sure it's really well done and just the pinnacle of all things "ferris wheel."

If it left I wouldn't shed a tear. Imagineers have a history of amazing things, and I have no interest in ever going on this. I just don't get the attraction to this. Unfortunately it's also a pretty iconic piece of the park so I see no need to ever remove it. when you look at DCA pics and postcards it's pretty much California Screamin', this Ferris Wheel and Grizzly Rapids. Those are just the three iconic parts of the park so that wheel isn't leaving.

I would imagine that whole corner of DCA ( between Midway Mania and Ariel's ) has been a topic of discussion amongst DCA execs numerous times in the past and I'm sure changes are due in the future.
    I couldn't agree more. Personally I think paradise pier is everything that's bad about DCA. Of all the themes why build a theme park to look like an amusment park? Its just cheap and tacky! I know it won't happen but I would love it if the whole land was raised and a new one built worthy of the new park. Personally I'd live a reimagined Discovery Bay themed to the Barbary Coast - think how good a backdrop that would make to WOC :-)

This topic is stupid since the author and most of you don't understand the history of this ride, its significance, nor do you understand the theme and background behind Paradise Pier. If you understand that alone then you get why the ride fits perfectly in this themed area and understand why its almost a necessity to pull it off well.

For starters, Mickey's Fun Wheel, is not a traditional Ferris wheel that is commonly found at amusement parks or fairs. The ride is actually an eccentric Ferris wheel and replica of the original Wonder Wheel at Coney Island, which so happens to be a landmark in New York City. There only two of these in existence, the original and Disney California Adventure. This particular attraction has in fact NEVER existed at a fair.

Paradise Pier in itself is an amazing replica of the early oceanside amusement parks and piers that used to be found all around this country. Do some homework on this and you will appreciate this area of DCA even more. However, if you want to scrap the wheel then you may as well scrap this entire area of the park, roller coaster and all.

If Walt were alive today he'd appreciate the quality of this reproduction of American history.

This is the only place where I can get these aerial views - - don't take it away. I get very ill on the swinging once, so I love the stationary cars. Even though we only go on it about once a year, I would really miss it - - it's an Anaheim landmark!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    Personally I'd live a reimagined Discovery Bay themed to the Barbary Coast - think how good a backdrop that would make to WOC :-)
    The Barbary Coast is typically the term used to describe the middle and western coastal regions of North Africa.

I've never heard the term applied to any portion of the roughly 840 miles of CA coastline.
    Last edited by calsig31; 10-03-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I also love the way it looks, both day and night. For me, the fixed gondolas are a great way to relax and enjoy the view. My daughter and I never missed a trip or two to watch the construction of Cars Land. I won't, however, go on the swinging gondolas - they give me a headache!

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post
    This topic is stupid since the author and most of you don't understand the history of this ride.
    On behalf of everyone here who has voiced an opinion contrary to your own, I humbly apologize for being "stupid" in your presence, sir. Can you ever forgive us all for not seeing it your way?

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post
    However, if you want to scrap the wheel then you may as well scrap this entire area of the park, roller coaster and all.
    Awesome idea.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The Barbary Coast is typically the term used to describe the middle and western coastal regions of North Africa.

I've never heard the term applied to any portion of the roughly 840 miles of CA coastline.
    The Barbary coast is also a term applied to the area around San Francisco at the Time of the 1849 gold rush and was even a TV show in the 70's with William Shatner and Doug McClure.

IMO this would make a much better themed area for a park celebrating California and its history than a replica of a fun fair from New York

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast